2006-05-13 18:02:04

by Thomas Zehetbauer

Subject: No DPMS for Console on x86_64

Unfortunately it seems that setterm's powersaving (DPMS) capabilities depend
an APM support in the kernel and are therefore unavailable on the x86_64
architecture.

This shortcoming may have seemed unimportant when Opteron started in the
server segment but there is a growing number of AMD Turion mobiles that could
greatly benefit from this feature.

I wonder how difficult it would be, to port APM to the x86_64 architecture or
to provide DPMS support in the FBDev drivers.

Tom

--
GMX - Die Totengräber des Message Exchange
http://www.hostmaster.org/GMX.html

Attachments:
(No filename) (570.00 B)
(No filename) (481.00 B)

by Jan Engelhardt

Subject: Re: No DPMS for Console on x86_64

> Unfortunately it seems that setterm's powersaving (DPMS) capabilities depend an
> APM support in the kernel and are therefore unavailable on the x86_64
> architecture.
>
> This shortcoming may have seemed unimportant when Opteron started in the server
> segment but there is a growing number of AMD Turion mobiles that could greatly
> benefit from this feature.

There are some backlight drivers in the kernel. Currently however the only
supported device is Sharp Corgi.
Would it be possible to make DPMS signalling a backlight driver? (Without
the APM overhead.) vgacon for example leaves the backlight on while in X11,
DPMS is enabled and signals standby after the timeout.

Jan Engelhardt

by Andi Kleen

Thomas Zehetbauer <[email protected]> writes:

> I wonder how difficult it would be, to port APM to the x86_64

Modern systems generally don't have working APM anymore.
There are replacement ACPI video options, but they seem to
be rarely implemented because the system vendors assume the
video driver will do the job.

Also even if they had it wouldn't be implemented in the 64bit
kernel.

> architecture or to provide DPMS support in the FBDev drivers.

There is some code from PPC for that, but it is generally very
PPC specific. Backlight control also varies a lot so it would
likely need tweaks for most laptops.

Or just run a X server. It also doesn't get this right always, but
at least sometimes.

-Andi