2006-08-14 15:43:14

by Metathronius Galabant

Subject: Problems connecting to www.itu.int with Kernel > 2.6.15

Hi,

I've got serious problems connecting to http://www.itu.int with Kernels > 2.6.15.
2.6.17.X seems to be especially bad and I also tested it with the
latest 2.6.17.8 (no change).
Receiving data is extremely slow, close to non-existing.
This was first observed with Squid, but is confirmed by using the
netcat utility:

#> echo -e "GET /home/index.html HTTP/1.0\n\n" | nc http://www.itu.int 80

Disabling ECN doesn't help.
tcp_congestion_control was set to bic and hybla - no change, too.
This issue further has been confirmed on 2 seperate servers connected
via 2 independent ISPs.

Does anyone have a clue?
Please include me on CC: as I'm not subscribed.

Kind regards,
M.

2006-08-14 15:49:46

by Phil Oester

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 05:43:08PM +0200, Metathronius Galabant wrote:
> I've got serious problems connecting to http://www.itu.int with Kernels > 2.6.15.
> 2.6.17.X seems to be especially bad and I also tested it with the
> latest 2.6.17.8 (no change).
> Receiving data is extremely slow, close to non-existing.

Search the archives for 'window scaling'.

Phil

2006-08-14 16:19:03

by Metathronius Galabant

> > I've got serious problems connecting to http://www.itu.int with Kernels > 2.6.15.
> > 2.6.17.X seems to be especially bad and I also tested it with the
> > latest 2.6.17.8 (no change).
> > Receiving data is extremely slow, close to non-existing.
>
> Search the archives for 'window scaling'.

Thanks a lot.
That was the thing I oversaw. Disabling window scaling solved the issue.
ITU admins have been informed.

Cheers,
M.