2006-08-11 14:36:44

by Steve Barnhart

Subject: bootsplash integration

I am looking for an update on the reasons (or objections) to
bootsplash (bootsplash.org) still not being integrated into the
kernel. I believe its a very nice project, especially w/regard to
looks for Linux and think it would be a good addition and save a lot
of time for many people who have to go through patching their kernel
if they want it.

There's also gensplash
(http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/) which is a little
different and requires only an fbsplash patch to the kernel and only
if you want a background picture on the consoles after bootup (a nice
feature imo).

Both of these are nice packages that I would love to have officially
included and was jus wondering what everyone's current objections to
it are.

--
Steve

2006-08-11 14:52:37

by Michal Piotrowski

Subject: Re: bootsplash integration

Hi Steve,

On 11/08/06, Steve Barnhart <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am looking for an update on the reasons (or objections) to
[snip]
> it are.

How about splashy?
http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/doku.php

It's really nice _user space_ program.

> --
> Steve

Regards,
Michal

--
Michal K. K. Piotrowski
LTG - Linux Testers Group

2006-08-11 15:39:12

by Steve Barnhart

I am aware of Splashy and it does seem rather nice, but I also am for
several alternatives and Bootsplash has been around for a long time
and gensplash continues to enhance it. SuSE has used bootsplash
forever and mandrake does also I believe. It would be nice to finally
have one of those actually integrated into the kernel since the
technology and patches to do so are already there. It requires less
work out of people like me ha and would be a nice feature addition in
addition to good alternatives like splashy.

On 8/11/06, Michal Piotrowski <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On 11/08/06, Steve Barnhart <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I am looking for an update on the reasons (or objections) to
> [snip]
> > it are.
>
> How about splashy?
> http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/doku.php
>
> It's really nice _user space_ program.
>

> > --
> > Steve
>
> Regards,
> Michal
>
> --
> Michal K. K. Piotrowski
> LTG - Linux Testers Group
> (http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/ltg/wiki/)

--
Steve

2006-08-11 17:07:42

by Éric Piel

08/11/2006 05:39 PM, Steve Barnhart wrote/a écrit:
> I am aware of Splashy and it does seem rather nice, but I also am for
> several alternatives and Bootsplash has been around for a long time
> and gensplash continues to enhance it. SuSE has used bootsplash
> forever and mandrake does also I believe. It would be nice to finally
> have one of those actually integrated into the kernel since the
> technology and patches to do so are already there. It requires less
> work out of people like me ha and would be a nice feature addition in
> addition to good alternatives like splashy.

The kernel only incorporates what is _really_ necessary. A jpeg decoder
and a progress bar manager would never become part of the kernel!
splashy proves that this kind of feature are absolutely not necessary in
the kernel as it's feasible in the user-space. Move to splashy, it'll
require you less work than patching your kernel ;-)

I just wonder if one can also put background pictures on the TTY only
from user-space...

See you,
Eric

2006-08-11 17:15:25

by Alan

Ar Gwe, 2006-08-11 am 19:07 +0200, ysgrifennodd Eric Piel:
> I just wonder if one can also put background pictures on the TTY only
> from user-space...

Currently only easily via X11 because the knowledge of the overlay and
YUV/RGB scaler engines is in X not in the kernel.

Alan

2006-08-12 14:28:21

by Vernon Mauery

On Friday 11 August 2006 10:35, Alan Cox wrote:
> Ar Gwe, 2006-08-11 am 19:07 +0200, ysgrifennodd Eric Piel:
> > I just wonder if one can also put background pictures on the TTY only
> > from user-space...
>
> Currently only easily via X11 because the knowledge of the overlay and
> YUV/RGB scaler engines is in X not in the kernel.

mplayer knows how to play to a framebuffer on the console without X. So this
is possible. I have played a movie on my framebuffer before. If mplayer can
do it, splashy should be able to do it as well. Use a native framebuffer if
your card supports that or VESA if it doesn't. This is definitely something
that belongs in userspace, not in the kernel.

--Vernon

> Alan
>
> -

by Jan Engelhardt

>mplayer knows how to play to a framebuffer on the console without X. So this
>is possible. I have played a movie on my framebuffer before.

mplayer even works without framebuffer, and I am not talking about aalib or
caca, but cvidix.

Jan Engelhardt

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> I am looking for an update on the reasons (or
> objections) to
> bootsplash (bootsplash.org) still not being integrated
> into the

Well, eye-candy does not really belong into kernel, see?

OTOH all the distros use it, anyway, so integration would make _some_
sense.

--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.

2006-08-17 16:02:38

by Gábor Lénárt

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 07:14:33PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >mplayer knows how to play to a framebuffer on the console without X. So this
> >is possible. I have played a movie on my framebuffer before.
>
> mplayer even works without framebuffer, and I am not talking about aalib or
> caca, but cvidix.

As an ex-developer of MPlayer I should say that MPlayer even supports direct
hardware access and such if you're brave enough ;-)

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#vidix

--
- G?bor

2006-08-17 19:30:59

by Jan Engelhardt

>> >mplayer knows how to play to a framebuffer on the console without X. So this
>> >is possible. I have played a movie on my framebuffer before.
>>
>> mplayer even works without framebuffer, and I am not talking about aalib or
>> caca, but cvidix.
>
>As an ex-developer of MPlayer I should say that MPlayer even supports direct
>hardware access and such if you're brave enough ;-)
>
>http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#vidix

vidix does not work, but vesa and svga do. However, one of vesa/svga also
ceased to work recently. Very sad :(

Jan Engelhardt

by Otavio Salvador

Pavel Machek <[email protected]> writes:

> OTOH all the distros use it, anyway, so integration would make _some_
> sense.

There's some alteratives running well in usermode so I don't think it
makes sense anymore.

I can cite usplash and splashy as examples.

--
O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
E-mail: [email protected] UIN: 5906116

2006-08-17 21:59:21

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:54:59 -0000, Pavel Machek said:

> Well, eye-candy does not really belong into kernel, see?
>
> OTOH all the distros use it, anyway, so integration would make _some_
> sense.

Hmm.. I'm completely failing to find it on my RHEL and Fedora Core boxes?

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)