2006-09-25 01:29:07

by Roman Glebov

Subject: megaraid question

i am using opensource megaraid driver (2.6.17) . Do you know any opensource monitoring tool for the opensource megaraid drivers Or is there a way to check the state of harddrives connected to the megaraid controller?

2006-09-25 01:40:23

by CaT

Subject: Re: megaraid question

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 01:29:09AM +0000, [email protected] wrote:
> i am using opensource megaraid driver (2.6.17) . Do you know any
> opensource monitoring tool for the opensource megaraid drivers Or is
> there a way to check the state of harddrives connected to the megaraid
> controller?

I've only found MegaCLI which has the kind of interface that makes
me wish I was a bricklayer (I'm looking at the SAS raid card btw).

Pick your card out from http://www.lsilogic.com/cm/DownloadSearch.do
and you should get something. No source (fooey) but at least it's
something.

Wish the source was available though. I might be bothered to do
something about the interface.

--
"To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
greatest tribute."

2006-09-25 01:59:28

by Wakko Warner

Keep me in CC.

[email protected] wrote:
> i am using opensource megaraid driver (2.6.17) . Do you know any opensource monitoring tool for the opensource megaraid drivers Or is there a way to check the state of harddrives connected to the megaraid controller?

I'd like to add a "ME TOO" here. as well as one for the adaptec raid cards.

Last time I looked, the only software I could find for megaraid was a
program from Dell (binary only unfortunately)

Got Gas???

2006-09-25 02:17:10

by Roman Glebov

Am Montag, 25. September 2006 03:51 schrieb Wakko Warner:
> Keep me in CC.
>
> [email protected] wrote:
> > i am using opensource megaraid driver (2.6.17) . Do you know any
> > opensource monitoring tool for the opensource megaraid drivers Or is
> > there a way to check the state of harddrives connected to the megaraid
> > controller?
>
> I'd like to add a "ME TOO" here. as well as one for the adaptec raid
> cards.
>
> Last time I looked, the only software I could find for megaraid was a
> program from Dell (binary only unfortunately)
Hi, thanks for answering me!

If i find something out i will let you know.
THe last info i got is that it is somehow possible with smartmon tools.
(a la smartctl -d megaraid,0 /dev/sda)

I am asking smartmontools developers right now, because there is no out of the
box support for megaraid.

Also i was told that there is a binary monitoring tool from lsi-logic page.

But will it work with open source driver?

Roman

2006-09-25 11:07:09

by Wakko Warner

Roman Glebov wrote:
> Am Montag, 25. September 2006 03:51 schrieb Wakko Warner:
> > Keep me in CC.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > i am using opensource megaraid driver (2.6.17) . Do you know any
> > > opensource monitoring tool for the opensource megaraid drivers Or is
> > > there a way to check the state of harddrives connected to the megaraid
> > > controller?
> >
> > I'd like to add a "ME TOO" here. as well as one for the adaptec raid
> > cards.
> >
> > Last time I looked, the only software I could find for megaraid was a
> > program from Dell (binary only unfortunately)
> Hi, thanks for answering me!
>
> If i find something out i will let you know.

That'd be great.

> THe last info i got is that it is somehow possible with smartmon tools.
> (a la smartctl -d megaraid,0 /dev/sda)

I have never tried this.

> I am asking smartmontools developers right now, because there is no out of the
> box support for megaraid.
>
> Also i was told that there is a binary monitoring tool from lsi-logic page.
>
> But will it work with open source driver?

I'm not sure about the program from LSI, but the one from Dell seems to work
with any megaraid controller (the one I do have happens to be a dell
megaraid card). The program I used from that package looks very similar to
the bios configuration tool and you can change disk layouts from within the
program while still in linux.

Got Gas???

2006-09-25 12:56:18

by linux

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 06:59:08AM -0400, Wakko Warner wrote:
> Roman Glebov wrote:
> >
> > Also i was told that there is a binary monitoring tool from lsi-logic page.
> >
> > But will it work with open source driver?
>
> I'm not sure about the program from LSI, but the one from Dell seems to work
> with any megaraid controller (the one I do have happens to be a dell
> megaraid card). The program I used from that package looks very similar to
> the bios configuration tool and you can change disk layouts from within the
> program while still in linux.

The program from Dell is the same program you get from LSI. Yes, it does
work with the kernel's "new generation" megaraid driver. Just make sure
/dev/megadev0 is present.