2006-09-27 00:25:50

by Nigel Cunningham

Subject: Reporting driver bugs.

Hi everyone.

I've been involved in a little discussion this morning about reporting
driver bugs. In the past, I've tended to point people directly to the
driver author, but I've learnt that the preferred thing is to get people
to open reports on bugzilla.kernel.org.

I'm therefore writing to ask if those of you who help with triage could
point people there as well.

Thanks, and thanks for all your help!

Nigel

2006-09-27 00:45:23

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: Reporting driver bugs.

Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I've been involved in a little discussion this morning about reporting
> driver bugs. In the past, I've tended to point people directly to the
> driver author, but I've learnt that the preferred thing is to get people
> to open reports on bugzilla.kernel.org.
>
> I'm therefore writing to ask if those of you who help with triage could
> point people there as well.

Unfortunately there is no one right answer. Some driver maintainers
don't see the bugzilla.kernel.org entry at all; others find it useful
for tracking purposes.

At the very least, one should make sure the driver author is always CC'd
on initial bug reports.

Jeff

2006-09-27 01:20:40

by Andrew Morton

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:45:05 -0400
Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > I've been involved in a little discussion this morning about reporting
> > driver bugs. In the past, I've tended to point people directly to the
> > driver author, but I've learnt that the preferred thing is to get people
> > to open reports on bugzilla.kernel.org.
> >
> > I'm therefore writing to ask if those of you who help with triage could
> > point people there as well.
>
> Unfortunately there is no one right answer. Some driver maintainers
> don't see the bugzilla.kernel.org entry at all; others find it useful
> for tracking purposes.
>
> At the very least, one should make sure the driver author is always CC'd
> on initial bug reports.

I screen all bugzilla reports and ensure that each one gets to the appropriate developer, if there is one.

2006-09-27 07:34:09

by Duncan Sands

> Unfortunately there is no one right answer. Some driver maintainers
> don't see the bugzilla.kernel.org entry at all; others find it useful
> for tracking purposes.

I tend to forget about bugzilla entries assigned to me. Can bugzilla
be configured to send reminder emails about open bugs every now and
again?

Best wishes,

Duncan.