2006-09-26 07:10:43

by Jeremy Fitzhardinge

Subject: revised pda patches

Hi Andi,

Here's an updated series of PDA patches based on your tree. They're
intended to replace these:

i386-pda-basics
i386-pda-init-pda
i386-pda-use-gs
i386-pda-user-abi
i386-pda-vm86
i386-pda-smp-processorid
i386-pda-current

with these:

i386-pda-definitions.patch
i386-pda-init.patch
i386-pda-use-gs.patch
i386-pda-fix-abi.patch
i386-pda-fix-vm86.patch
i386-pda-smp_processor_id.patch
i386-pda-current.patch

i386-pda-definitions.patch (5.56 kB)
i386-pda-init.patch (12.88 kB)
i386-pda-use-gs.patch (15.40 kB)
i386-pda-fix-abi.patch (3.52 kB)
i386-pda-fix-vm86.patch (11.61 kB)
i386-pda-smp_processor_id.patch (1.96 kB)
i386-pda-current.patch (1.05 kB)

by Andi Kleen

Subject: Re: revised pda patches

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 12:10:43AM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Hi Andi,
>
> Here's an updated series of PDA patches based on your tree. They're
> intended to replace these:
>
> i386-pda-basics
> i386-pda-init-pda
> i386-pda-use-gs
> i386-pda-user-abi
> i386-pda-vm86
> i386-pda-smp-processorid
> i386-pda-current
>
> with these:
>
> i386-pda-definitions.patch
> i386-pda-init.patch
> i386-pda-use-gs.patch
> i386-pda-fix-abi.patch
> i386-pda-fix-vm86.patch
> i386-pda-smp_processor_id.patch
> i386-pda-current.patch

I added them now, thanks.

At least one seemed to assume that asm-offsets.c already has entries
for all the registers, which wasn't the case. I fixed that up from
the patch context, but some double checking might be useful.

-Andi

2006-09-27 16:59:47

by Jeremy Fitzhardinge

Andi Kleen wrote:
> I added them now, thanks.
>
> At least one seemed to assume that asm-offsets.c already has entries
> for all the registers, which wasn't the case. I fixed that up from
> the patch context, but some double checking might be useful.

Eh? They patch+compile cleanly against your patch queue of the other
day. -use-gs adds PT_GS to asm-offsets, assuming that
"i386-pda-asm-offsets" has already been applied. Did you accidentally
remove that from your queue too; it was just before the old
"i386-pda-basics"?

by Andi Kleen

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 09:59:54AM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:
> >I added them now, thanks.
> >
> >At least one seemed to assume that asm-offsets.c already has entries
> >for all the registers, which wasn't the case. I fixed that up from
> >the patch context, but some double checking might be useful.
> >

> Eh? They patch+compile cleanly against your patch queue of the other
> day. -use-gs adds PT_GS to asm-offsets, assuming that
> "i386-pda-asm-offsets" has already been applied. Did you accidentally
> remove that from your queue too; it was just before the old
> "i386-pda-basics"?

Yes I dropped all i386-pda-* patches earlier.
Also BTW the result didn't boot. Ok will try with that old patch too.

-Andi

2006-09-27 20:21:16

by Jeremy Fitzhardinge

Andi Kleen wrote:
> Yes I dropped all i386-pda-* patches earlier.

"i386-pda-asm-offsets" doesn't really have anything to do with the PDA
stuff; it's just a generic cleanup. It got posted as a prereq, but I
don't consider it part of the same patch series (locally it doesn't have
the i386-pda- prefix).

> Also BTW the result didn't boot. Ok will try with that old patch too.

How did it fail?

by Andi Kleen

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 01:21:24PM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:
> >Yes I dropped all i386-pda-* patches earlier.
> >

> "i386-pda-asm-offsets" doesn't really have anything to do with the PDA
> stuff; it's just a generic cleanup. It got posted as a prereq, but I
> don't consider it part of the same patch series (locally it doesn't have
> the i386-pda- prefix).

Ok I readded it now.

> >Also BTW the result didn't boot. Ok will try with that old patch too.
> >

> How did it fail?

It hangs after "Checking if processor honors the WP bit ..."
That was in qemu, didn't try it on a real box

-Andi