2006-10-04 12:05:29

by Martin Lorenz

Subject: Java Zombies

Another strange behaviour...

I just got back into my java code and experienced really strange things:

I run a java app for a while, stop it, start it, do things with it
(development tasks...) and suddenly java becomes defunct.

all running java processes are zombies and no trick will kill them. java gui
stays onscreen but doesen't refresh.

and, even more strange: while CPUs stay at about 2 to 8% activity load
increases. it's at 7 now after around 2 minutes

I attach some info about my system (X60s 1702-55G)

oops: cat /proc/cpuinfo hangs!!

...after that I could not even shutdown cleanly.
I had to use SysRq keys to halt the system

gruss
mlo
--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Lorenz

They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

please encrypt your mail to me
GnuPG key-ID: F1AAD37D
get it here:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF1AAD37D

ICQ UIN: 33588107

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.01 kB)
system (90.25 kB)

by Pavel Machek

Subject: Re: Java Zombies

Hi!

Nice subject ;-).

> Another strange behaviour...
>
> I just got back into my java code and experienced really strange things:
>
> I run a java app for a while, stop it, start it, do things with it
> (development tasks...) and suddenly java becomes defunct.
>
> all running java processes are zombies and no trick will kill them. java gui
> stays onscreen but doesen't refresh.
>
> and, even more strange: while CPUs stay at about 2 to 8% activity load
> increases. it's at 7 now after around 2 minutes
>

> I attach some info about my system (X60s 1702-55G)
>
> oops: cat /proc/cpuinfo hangs!!
>
> ...after that I could not even shutdown cleanly.
> I had to use SysRq keys to halt the system

Well, does it also happen when you reboot the machine?