2006-10-01 00:32:48

by S.Çağlar Onur

Subject: [Ops] 2.6.18

Hi;

Here [1] are the two different panics with 2.6.18 on vmware, its reproducable
on every 4-5 reboot [same config/kernel in "2.6.18 Nasty Lockup" thread, so i
CC'd to that thread's posters also]

[1] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/2.6.18/

Cheers
--
S.Çağlar Onur <[email protected]>
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!

Attachments:
(No filename) (420.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Andi Kleen

Subject: Re: [Ops] 2.6.18

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 03:32:49AM +0300, S.??a??lar Onur wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Here [1] are the two different panics with 2.6.18 on vmware, its reproducable
> on every 4-5 reboot [same config/kernel in "2.6.18 Nasty Lockup" thread, so i
> CC'd to that thread's posters also]
>
> [1] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/2.6.18/

The first thing when you get lots of weird oopses is to save your .config,
do a make distclean and try again. Sometimes kernels get miscompiled.

Also your oopses do not fit completely on the screen. Best you enable
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT and boot with vga=0x0f07
(if that doesn't work vga=ask and select the smallest resolution)

-Andi

2006-10-01 16:11:42

by S.Çağlar Onur

01 Eki 2006 Paz 13:34 tarihinde, Andi Kleen şunları yazmıştı:
> On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 03:32:49AM +0300, S.??a??lar Onur wrote:
> The first thing when you get lots of weird oopses is to save your .config,
> do a make distclean and try again. Sometimes kernels get miscompiled.

I'm sure this is not miscompiled cause currently its used by lots of Pardus
alpha testers but none of them except some of them have problems. That nasty
lockup occurs on one of our buildfarm machines and this opps in vmware test
installations.

> Also your oopses do not fit completely on the screen. Best you enable
> CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT and boot with vga=0x0f07
> (if that doesn't work vga=ask and select the smallest resolution)

I'll enable and report back.

Cheers
--
S.Çağlar Onur <[email protected]>
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!

Attachments:
(No filename) (920.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by john stultz

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 03:32 +0300, S.Çağlar Onur wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Here [1] are the two different panics with 2.6.18 on vmware, its reproducable
> on every 4-5 reboot [same config/kernel in "2.6.18 Nasty Lockup" thread, so i
> CC'd to that thread's posters also]
>
> [1] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/2.6.18/

Hmmm.. That first oops looks interesting to me.

When you say they're reproducible every 4-5 reboots, which one do you
mean?

thanks
-john

2006-10-04 13:38:26

by S.Çağlar Onur

02 Eki 2006 Pts 20:36 tarihinde, john stultz şunları yazmıştı:
> On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 03:32 +0300, S.Çağlar Onur wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > Here [1] are the two different panics with 2.6.18 on vmware, its
> > reproducable on every 4-5 reboot [same config/kernel in "2.6.18 Nasty
> > Lockup" thread, so i CC'd to that thread's posters also]
> >
> > [1] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/2.6.18/
>
> Hmmm.. That first oops looks interesting to me.
>
> When you say they're reproducible every 4-5 reboots, which one do you
> mean?

For every 10 reboots first one occurs at least 6 times, 3 times second one
occurs and for last it boots :)

--
S.Çağlar Onur <[email protected]>
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!

Attachments:
(No filename) (809.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Andi Kleen

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 04:38:25PM +0300, S.??a??lar Onur wrote:
> 02 Eki 2006 Pts 20:36 tarihinde, john stultz ??unlar?? yazm????t??:
> > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 03:32 +0300, S.??a??lar Onur wrote:
> > > Hi;
> > >
> > > Here [1] are the two different panics with 2.6.18 on vmware, its
> > > reproducable on every 4-5 reboot [same config/kernel in "2.6.18 Nasty
> > > Lockup" thread, so i CC'd to that thread's posters also]
> > >
> > > [1] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/2.6.18/
> >
> > Hmmm.. That first oops looks interesting to me.
> >
> > When you say they're reproducible every 4-5 reboots, which one do you
> > mean?
>
> For every 10 reboots first one occurs at least 6 times, 3 times second one
> occurs and for last it boots :)

I assume it must be something specific to your configuration
or setup.

If plain 2.6.18 was that unstable we would be flooded in reports.
But that's not the case. I also definitely don't see it on any of my systems
(except that if you use PIT time source on a multi core system
things break on i386)

Perhaps you list your setup and your configuration and a boot log
for the working case? I also I would really recommend to do the make
distclean ; recompile step I mentioned earlier.

-Andi

2006-10-04 16:08:17

by S.Çağlar Onur

04 Eki 2006 Çar 17:47 tarihinde, Andi Kleen şunları yazmıştı:
> > For every 10 reboots first one occurs at least 6 times, 3 times second
> > one occurs and for last it boots :)
>
> I assume it must be something specific to your configuration
> or setup.
>
> If plain 2.6.18 was that unstable we would be flooded in reports.
> But that's not the case. I also definitely don't see it on any of my
> systems (except that if you use PIT time source on a multi core system
> things break on i386)

I think you misunderstand me or i cant explain well :(, plain 2.6.18 boots on
these system without a problem but same kernel in vmware oopses. Of course
this can be a just a vmware problem but i can reproduce this behaviour (same
kernel boots real system but oopes in vmware with same output) with 3
different normal desktop PC's and two different vmware server version.

> Perhaps you list your setup and your configuration and a boot log
> for the working case?

Ok, I'll send all configurations and logs

> I also I would really recommend to do the make
> distclean ; recompile step I mentioned earlier.

Ok, I'll listen you and will recompile asap:)

Cherrs
--
S.Çağlar Onur <[email protected]>
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.30 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Andi Kleen

> I think you misunderstand me or i cant explain well :(, plain 2.6.18 boots on
> these system without a problem but same kernel in vmware oopses. Of course
> this can be a just a vmware problem but i can reproduce this behaviour (same
> kernel boots real system but oopes in vmware with same output) with 3
> different normal desktop PC's and two different vmware server version.

Hmm, maybe vmware uses the PIT timer.

> > Perhaps you list your setup and your configuration and a boot log
> > for the working case?
>
> Ok, I'll send all configurations and logs

The log will tell that.

-Andi