2006-10-05 07:30:21

by Prakash Punnoor

Subject: 2.6.19-rc1: PATA long delay with AMD driver on init

Hi,

I tried the PATA driver for my onboard IDE with one DVD+RW drive connected as
master. The driver hangs a long time on probing (and causing major havoc on
the rest of my devices). Using the old IDE driver I don't have this problem.

I deactivated one SATA and secondary IDE controller. Enabled the situation
gets worse.

The kernel is patched with reiser4 and acpi_skip_timer_override quirk is
deactivated (see last link why).

I tried different combinations (dmesg + .config). Differences are mostly pci
mt init, irqpoll, nforce eth napi, pata/ide amd driver

http://www.prakash.gmxhome.de/linux/2.6.19-rc1-1.txt.bz2
http://www.prakash.gmxhome.de/linux/2.6.19-rc1-2.txt.bz2
http://www.prakash.gmxhome.de/linux/2.6.19-rc1-3.txt.bz2
http://www.prakash.gmxhome.de/linux/2.6.19-rc1-4.txt.bz2

cat /proc/interrupts for 2.6.18 resp .19-rc1
http://www.prakash.gmxhome.de/linux/irqs18.txt
http://www.prakash.gmxhome.de/linux/irqs19.txt

lspci can be found here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=115545986619977&w=2

(°= =°)
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\
V_/ \_V

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.09 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Alan

Subject: Re: 2.6.19-rc1: PATA long delay with AMD driver on init

Ar Iau, 2006-10-05 am 09:30 +0200, ysgrifennodd Prakash Punnoor:
> Hi,
>
> I tried the PATA driver for my onboard IDE with one DVD+RW drive connected as
> master. The driver hangs a long time on probing

That is sort fo expected for some AMD variants right now as they don't
all have enable bits. Once Tejun's work on drive discovery is in I'll
probably enable it for all PATA chips and that ought to sort it out

2006-10-05 13:17:28

by Prakash Punnoor

Am Donnerstag 05 Oktober 2006 15:20 schrieb Alan Cox:
> Ar Iau, 2006-10-05 am 09:30 +0200, ysgrifennodd Prakash Punnoor:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried the PATA driver for my onboard IDE with one DVD+RW drive
> > connected as master. The driver hangs a long time on probing
>
> That is sort fo expected for some AMD variants right now as they don't
> all have enable bits. Once Tejun's work on drive discovery is in I'll
> probably enable it for all PATA chips and that ought to sort it out

Hmm, OK, is is possible to prevent probing the slave by kernel paramter?
--
(?= =?)
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\

Attachments: