2006-10-11 08:53:06

by Kobajashi Zaghi

Subject: The Future of ReiserFS development

Hi!

Hans Reiser arrested on suspicion of murder.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/10/BAGERLM3RR15.DTL

What is the plan? Could i
migrate from reiserfs to another journaling filesystem? How will this
trouble affect reiserfs development?

I hope Hans innocent.

Kobi

2006-10-11 08:55:13

by Ralf Hildebrandt

Subject: Re: The Future of ReiserFS development

> What is the plan? Could i
> migrate from reiserfs to another journaling filesystem?

Of course: Simply backup, mkfs and restore!

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums) [email protected]
Charite - Universitätsmedizin Berlin Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155

2006-10-11 11:20:58

by Jan Engelhardt

> What is the plan? Could i
> migrate from reiserfs to another journaling filesystem? How will this
> trouble affect reiserfs development?

Since development has pretty much ceased already, there is nothing to
lose if you continue to use reiserfs.

-`J'

by Alexander Lyamin

Well, this is correct statement if we are talking about 3.6, its only bugfixes
lately. Altough SuSE people used to add some new stuff
like ACL support.

As for reiser4, we are still going through revision, thanks to AKPM. Chunking
out patches,fixing issues and generally cleaning the house.

Yes, we are rather shaked and stressed at moment, altough I can not say, we
didn't seen it coming.
I, personally, really like how US police acted exactly like their russian
counterpart: e.g. sitting on their ass for whole month, waiting, so they can
declare person officially missing and then just press charges against whoever
looks most vulnerable. Well, probably I am wrong. Time will show.

What WE (e.g. reiser4 dev people) are planng to do ?

Short term ( present + 6 months ):
We will just buzz along as ussual, chunking out patches and going through
review, while pursuing existing business oportunities to get some funding.

Long term (6 months from now and beyond):
If it goes way we hope it will go. Well... We will do fine.
If it goes bad. That is where it becomes tricky. We will try to appoint a proxy
to run Namesys business.

Thats it for now.

Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 01:20:39PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> > What is the plan? Could i
> > migrate from reiserfs to another journaling filesystem? How will this
> > trouble affect reiserfs development?
>
> Since development has pretty much ceased already, there is nothing to
> lose if you continue to use reiserfs.
>

> -`J'
> --
> -

"the liberation loophole will make it clear.."
lex lyamin

2006-10-11 16:44:59

by David Schwartz

> Hi!
>
> Hans Reiser arrested on suspicion of murder.
>
> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/10/BAGERLM3RR15.DTL

Am I the only one who read the sentence below:

Anthony Zografos, Reiser's boyfriend, said, "I have no thoughts. Until they
find Nina, I don't know what to think."

And thought, "Hans was gay? No wonder he broke up with his wife".

In fact, it wasn't until later when they mentioned Zografos was working
with Nina's best friend to make billboards that I realized I had
misunderstood it.

DS

2006-10-11 17:01:06

by Mike Fowler

> Am I the only one who read the sentence below:
Nope, I had to read that section a few times to figure it out!

--
Mike Fowler
Registered Linux user: 379787

"I could be a genius if I just put my mind to it, and I,
I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it"
-PULP 'Glory Days'

2006-10-11 17:30:25

by Alan

Ar Mer, 2006-10-11 am 10:53 +0200, ysgrifennodd Kobajashi Zaghi:
> Hi!
>
> Hans Reiser arrested on suspicion of murder.
>
> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/10/BAGERLM3RR15.DTL
>
> What is the plan? Could i
> migrate from reiserfs to another journaling filesystem? How will this
> trouble affect reiserfs development?

Reiserfs is written by a team of people at Namesys, and particularly
with reiserfs3 people at SuSE and elsewhere as well.

Alan

2006-10-11 18:56:20

by Luigi Genoni

A suspicion is not a definitive sentence from a tribunal.

What I dislike is that with all this newspaper bad pubblicity Hans Reiser
could be ruined in his image and reputation also if he is innocent (as he is
right now by law).

Let's hope everything goes for the best.

about reiserSF and reiser4, there is a comunity of developers, isn't there?

> Hi!
>
> Hans Reiser arrested on suspicion of murder.
>
> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/10/BAGERLM3RR15.DTL
>
> What is the plan? Could i
> migrate from reiserfs to another journaling filesystem? How will this
> trouble affect reiserfs development?
>
> I hope Hans innocent.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Kobi
> -

by Jan Engelhardt

> Well, this is correct statement if we are talking about 3.6, its only
> bugfixes lately. Altough SuSE people used to add some new stuff
> like ACL support.

And I wished they do the same for reiser4, because not having quota and
not having ACLs makes it useless for me ATM, despite all speed it brings
along.
(If those features have sneaked in in the past months, let me know.)

-`J'

by Roland

>> What is the plan? Could i
>> migrate from reiserfs to another journaling filesystem?
>
>Of course: Simply backup, mkfs and restore!

not that simple if you have hundreds of thousands or even millions of small
files !
reiserfs is quite efficient in storing small files.
don`t know if there is anyfilesystem which is as efficient with this.....

2006-10-12 14:14:14

by Jörn Engel

On Thu, 12 October 2006 10:36:11 +0200, roland wrote:

> >Of course: Simply backup, mkfs and restore!
>
> not that simple if you have hundreds of thousands or even millions of small
> files !
> reiserfs is quite efficient in storing small files.
> don`t know if there is anyfilesystem which is as efficient with this.....

Just millions? What's your problem then?

Per file you can estimate 4KiB + 128 bytes for the inode. That's
about 4.2GB for a million files. The "wasted" size is still lower, as
small files still require some storage even with tail packing.

And in-memory reiserfs is just as inefficient as any other filesystem,
as it shares the same page cache.

J?rn

--
More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without
necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including

2006-10-12 14:20:57

by Jan Engelhardt

>> > What is the plan? Could i
>> > migrate from reiserfs to another journaling filesystem?
>>
>> Of course: Simply backup, mkfs and restore!
>
> not that simple if you have hundreds of thousands or even millions of small
> files !
> reiserfs is quite efficient in storing small files.

Depends. While reiser may get a diskspace bonus for packing, xfs and
others have a time bonus for not packing, and that's more important
when having lots of files. Disk space is quite cheap nowaedays.

> don`t know if there is anyfilesystem which is as efficient with this.....

-`J'

by Lee Revell

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 10:36 +0200, roland wrote:
> >> What is the plan? Could i
> >> migrate from reiserfs to another journaling filesystem?
> >
> >Of course: Simply backup, mkfs and restore!
>
> not that simple if you have hundreds of thousands or even millions of small
> files !
> reiserfs is quite efficient in storing small files.
> don`t know if there is anyfilesystem which is as efficient with this.....

I thought reiserfs (aka reiser3) was in deep maintainence mode anyway?
Why do you need to migrate away from it?

Reiser4 however is another story...

Lee

Hello Lee!

We at the OJFS team totally agree with you, please
upgrade to OJFS as soon as possible!

You may get it here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9zb2gf

Thank you,
The OJFS Team (AYBABTU).

http://mail.yahoo.com

2006-10-12 16:00:41

by Martin Lorenz

Subject: please ban OJFS (was: Re: The Future of ReiserFS development)

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 08:17:18AM -0700, Online Journaled File System wrote:
> Hello Lee!
>
> We at the OJFS team totally agree with you, please
> upgrade to OJFS as soon as possible!
>
> You may get it here:
>
> http://www.sendspace.com/file/9zb2gf
>
> Thank you,