2006-10-08 07:13:10

by Pavel Machek

Subject: x60 backlight Re: [discuss] 2.6.19-rc1: known regressions (v2)

On Sat 07-10-06 23:46:21, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> This email lists some known regressions in 2.6.19-rc1 compared to 2.6.18
> that are not yet fixed Linus' tree.
>
> If you find your name in the Cc header, you are either submitter of one
> of the bugs, maintainer of an affectected subsystem or driver, a patch
> of you was declared guilty for a breakage or I'm considering you in any
> other way possibly involved with one or more of these issues.
>
> Due to the huge amount of recipients, please trim the Cc when answering.
> Subject : T60 stops triggering any ACPI events
>

> Subject : thinkpad x60: brightness no longer adjustable in 2.6.18-git

Strange, problem went away after reboot. I guess I'll write it off as
an acpi glitch... there's definitely something strange going on with
backlight around s2ram: during normal operation, backlight changes are
fast. After s2ram, backlight change from keyboard takes 300msec or so.

--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.

2006-10-08 17:38:15

by Adrian Bunk

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 07:12:54AM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:

> On Sat 07-10-06 23:46:21, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > This email lists some known regressions in 2.6.19-rc1 compared to 2.6.18
> > that are not yet fixed Linus' tree.
> >
> > If you find your name in the Cc header, you are either submitter of one
> > of the bugs, maintainer of an affectected subsystem or driver, a patch
> > of you was declared guilty for a breakage or I'm considering you in any
> > other way possibly involved with one or more of these issues.
> >
> > Due to the huge amount of recipients, please trim the Cc when answering.
> > Subject : T60 stops triggering any ACPI events
> >

> > Subject : thinkpad x60: brightness no longer adjustable in 2.6.18-git
>
> Strange, problem went away after reboot. I guess I'll write it off as
> an acpi glitch... there's definitely something strange going on with
> backlight around s2ram: during normal operation, backlight changes are
> fast. After s2ram, backlight change from keyboard takes 300msec or so.

Is this a regression compared to 2.6.18 or an older issue?

If it's a regression can you bisect?

TIA
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2006-10-08 18:00:34

by Michael S. Tsirkin

Quoting r. Adrian Bunk <[email protected]>:
> Subject: Re: x60 backlight Re: [discuss] 2.6.19-rc1: known regressions (v2)
>
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 07:12:54AM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > On Sat 07-10-06 23:46:21, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > This email lists some known regressions in 2.6.19-rc1 compared to 2.6.18
> > > that are not yet fixed Linus' tree.

> > > Subject : T60 stops triggering any ACPI events

This was on a pre -rc1 git tree.
I've been using -rc1 since it's out and does not happen to me anymore.
So we probably can write this off as a memory corruption
issue that got fixed in between.

--
MST

2006-10-08 18:36:17

by Pavel Machek

On Sun 08-10-06 19:38:09, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 07:12:54AM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > On Sat 07-10-06 23:46:21, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > This email lists some known regressions in 2.6.19-rc1 compared to 2.6.18
> > > that are not yet fixed Linus' tree.
> > >
> > > If you find your name in the Cc header, you are either submitter of one
> > > of the bugs, maintainer of an affectected subsystem or driver, a patch
> > > of you was declared guilty for a breakage or I'm considering you in any
> > > other way possibly involved with one or more of these issues.
> > >
> > > Due to the huge amount of recipients, please trim the Cc when answering.
> > > Subject : T60 stops triggering any ACPI events
> > >

> > > Subject : thinkpad x60: brightness no longer adjustable in 2.6.18-git
> >
> > Strange, problem went away after reboot. I guess I'll write it off as
> > an acpi glitch... there's definitely something strange going on with
> > backlight around s2ram: during normal operation, backlight changes are
> > fast. After s2ram, backlight change from keyboard takes 300msec or so.
>
> Is this a regression compared to 2.6.18 or an older issue?

Slowness is not something I'd classify as serious problem, and
breakage is not reproducible. Ignore it for now.

--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.

2006-10-08 19:30:32

by Adrian Bunk

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 07:59:58PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Quoting r. Adrian Bunk <[email protected]>:
> > Subject: Re: x60 backlight Re: [discuss] 2.6.19-rc1: known regressions (v2)

> This was on a pre -rc1 git tree.
> I've been using -rc1 since it's out and does not happen to me anymore.
> So we probably can write this off as a memory corruption
> issue that got fixed in between.

Thanks for the information, I've removed it from the list.

> MST

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2006-10-08 19:29:59

by Adrian Bunk

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 06:36:02PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Sun 08-10-06 19:38:09, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > Strange, problem went away after reboot. I guess I'll write it off as
> > > an acpi glitch... there's definitely something strange going on with
> > > backlight around s2ram: during normal operation, backlight changes are
> > > fast. After s2ram, backlight change from keyboard takes 300msec or so.
> >
> > Is this a regression compared to 2.6.18 or an older issue?
>
> Slowness is not something I'd classify as serious problem, and
> breakage is not reproducible. Ignore it for now.

OK, removed.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2006-10-08 23:44:34

by Jeremy Fitzhardinge

Pavel Machek wrote:
> Strange, problem went away after reboot. I guess I'll write it off as
> an acpi glitch... there's definitely something strange going on with
> backlight around s2ram: during normal operation, backlight changes are
> fast. After s2ram, backlight change from keyboard takes 300msec or so.

Yes, I'm seeing that too. It's not just keyboard brightness changes;
gnome does some fadeup effect, which takes ~300ms/step as well.

by Michael S. Tsirkin

Quoting r. Adrian Bunk <[email protected]>:
> Subject: Re: x60 backlight Re: [discuss] 2.6.19-rc1: known regressions (v2)
>
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 07:59:58PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Quoting r. Adrian Bunk <[email protected]>:
> > > Subject: Re: x60 backlight Re: [discuss] 2.6.19-rc1: known regressions (v2)

> > This was on a pre -rc1 git tree.
> > I've been using -rc1 since it's out and does not happen to me anymore.
> > So we probably can write this off as a memory corruption
> > issue that got fixed in between.
>
> Thanks for the information, I've removed it from the list.

Unfortunately, this came back after using 2.6.19-rc1 for a couple of days
without reboot. And I just re-tested and was able to re-produce the problem on
2.6.19-rc2, as well. So the problem is still there, with the same symptoms:
after usig machine for a while, or under stress (e.g. if I do a full kernel
compile), I stop getting any ACPI events.

tail -f /var/log/acpid
does not show anything, even on Fn/F4 which is supposed ot be always enabled.
Restarting the acpid doesn't do anything either - ACPI starts working
again, for a while, only after reboot.

Worked fine under 2.6.18 (I was running vanilla + this patch
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/20/56 which made it into upstream since then).

Any ideas? How to debug this?

--
MST