2006-11-08 16:08:52

by Martin Weber

Subject: kernel BUG at include/linux/dcache.h:303

Hi,

found the following message (see attached file), shortly after the system
died...

Kind regards,

Martin

Attachments:
(No filename) (111.00 B)
bug.txt (1.61 kB)

by Christoph Hellwig

Subject: Re: kernel BUG at include/linux/dcache.h:303

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 05:08:43PM +0100, Martin Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> found the following message (see attached file), shortly after the system
> died...
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Martin

> VFS: Busy inodes after unmount of shfs. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...
> ------------[ cut here ]------------
> kernel BUG at include/linux/dcache.h:303!
> invalid opcode: 0000 [#1]
> PREEMPT
> Modules linked in: shfs radeon drm ipw2100 joydev
> CPU: 0
> EIP: 0060:[<c0169b6d>] Tainted: P VLI

Whatever propritary module shfs is it's most likely the cause.
Please try again without it.

2006-11-08 16:36:42

by Miklos Szeredi

> > found the following message (see attached file), shortly after the system
> > died...
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Martin
>
> > VFS: Busy inodes after unmount of shfs. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...
> > ------------[ cut here ]------------
> > kernel BUG at include/linux/dcache.h:303!
> > invalid opcode: 0000 [#1]
> > PREEMPT
> > Modules linked in: shfs radeon drm ipw2100 joydev
> > CPU: 0
> > EIP: 0060:[<c0169b6d>] Tainted: P VLI
>
> Whatever propritary module shfs is it's most likely the cause.
> Please try again without it.

While not propritary, shfs _is_ severely broken. Try sshfs instead
which provides similar functionality:

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

Miklos

2006-11-08 17:07:13

by Christoph Hellwig

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 05:35:40PM +0100, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> > Whatever propritary module shfs is it's most likely the cause.
> > Please try again without it.
>
> While not propritary, shfs _is_ severely broken. Try sshfs instead
> which provides similar functionality:
>
> http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

Agreed to that recommendation. But then again either shfs is so outdated
that it doesn't even have a MODULE_LICENSE state or the submitter snipped
away a module without a proper license from the oops report..

2006-11-08 17:14:13

by Martin Weber

Hi,

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 18:07, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 05:35:40PM +0100, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> > > Whatever propritary module shfs is it's most likely the cause.
> > > Please try again without it.
> >
> > While not propritary, shfs _is_ severely broken. Try sshfs instead
> > which provides similar functionality:
> >
> > http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html
>
> Agreed to that recommendation. But then again either shfs is so outdated
> that it doesn't even have a MODULE_LICENSE state or the submitter snipped
> away a module without a proper license from the oops report..

SHFS seems to be outdated. Checking on the web reveals the last release and
web page update was 2.5 years ago. The source contains a license statement:
shfs/Linux-2.6/inode.c:MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

I have one tainted module (cisco_ipsec) loaded, which was not in the post
since I did not know of the importance.

M.

--
Martin Weber Office: +49-241-80-27183
I. Physik. Inst. B Fax: +49-241-80-22661