2006-11-14 21:28:44

by Chris Stromsoe

Subject: driver support for Chelsio T210 10Gb ethernet in 2.6.x

The in-kernel Chelsio cxgb driver in 2.6.19-rc5 is version 2.1.1 and only
supports the N110 and N210 10Gb ethernet boards. The current driver
available from Chelsio[1] is 2.1.4a and supports the T110 and T210 series
boards, but is only available against 2.6.16. Any chance of an update to
the in-kernel driver for 2.6.20 to support the T* series cards?

-Chris

1. http://service.chelsio.com/drivers/linux/n210/cxgb-2.1.4a.tar.gz

2006-11-14 21:33:37

by Stephen Hemminger

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:28:38 -0800 (PST)
Chris Stromsoe <[email protected]> wrote:

> The in-kernel Chelsio cxgb driver in 2.6.19-rc5 is version 2.1.1 and only
> supports the N110 and N210 10Gb ethernet boards. The current driver
> available from Chelsio[1] is 2.1.4a and supports the T110 and T210 series
> boards, but is only available against 2.6.16. Any chance of an update to
> the in-kernel driver for 2.6.20 to support the T* series cards?
>
> -Chris
>
> 1. http://service.chelsio.com/drivers/linux/n210/cxgb-2.1.4a.tar.gz
> -

Only if they don't try to put TOE support in.

--
Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]>

2006-11-14 21:40:13

by Chris Stromsoe

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:28:38 -0800 (PST) Chris Stromsoe
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The in-kernel Chelsio cxgb driver in 2.6.19-rc5 is version 2.1.1 and
>> only supports the N110 and N210 10Gb ethernet boards. The current
>> driver available from Chelsio[1] is 2.1.4a and supports the T110 and
>> T210 series boards, but is only available against 2.6.16. Any chance
>> of an update to the in-kernel driver for 2.6.20 to support the T*
>> series cards?
>
> Only if they don't try to put TOE support in.

To be honest, I haven't looked at the differences between the two drivers,
other than note that 2.1.4a only builds against 2.6.16 and supports the T*
cards. The support download page (http://service.chelsio.com/drivers/)
lists 2.1.4a as supporting the T* cards in "NIC mode" and has a separate
driver (2.2.0) with TOE support.

-Chris

2006-11-14 22:57:32

by Jeff Garzik

Chris Stromsoe wrote:
> The in-kernel Chelsio cxgb driver in 2.6.19-rc5 is version 2.1.1 and
> only supports the N110 and N210 10Gb ethernet boards. The current
> driver available from Chelsio[1] is 2.1.4a and supports the T110 and
> T210 series boards, but is only available against 2.6.16. Any chance of
> an update to the in-kernel driver for 2.6.20 to support the T* series
> cards?
>
> -Chris
>
> 1. http://service.chelsio.com/drivers/linux/n210/cxgb-2.1.4a.tar.gz

A bit of history: this driver was merged in March 2005 (submitted by
Chelsio), updated once in June 2005, and then the maintainers completely
disappeared.

So, you get what you get... if someone wants to dig through the updated
cxgb driver and merge it with the kernel and test it... great. But at
this point it is abandonware.

Jeff

2006-11-15 03:21:56

by Felix Marti

Jeff wrote:
> A bit of history: this driver was merged in March 2005 (submitted by
> Chelsio), updated once in June 2005, and then the maintainers
completely
> disappeared.
>
> So, you get what you get... if someone wants to dig through the
updated
> cxgb driver and merge it with the kernel and test it... great. But at

> this point it is abandonware.
>
> Jeff

Jeff, as indicated by Chris, the driver that is in the kernel is for
N110 and N210. So far, we have not received any customer complaints
regarding bugs in the driver and thus it has not been updated in a long
time. If you feel like there are some missing features/bug fixes, I'd be
glad to spend some time on it.

However, Chris's initial request is regarding support for T210. As you
indicate, the T210 product is a superset of N110/N210 and i.e. supports
TOE. Since the T210 board features additional pieces of hardware, these
must be initialized (i.e. memory controllers and TCAM) even if the board
is to be used as a NIC only. If the kernel developers are okay with
these additional initialization procedures we could update the driver to
support N as well as T based products, in NIC mode only, of course ;)

felix

2006-11-16 01:04:36

by Stephen Hemminger

I took the latest Chelsio driver and gave it a TOE lobotomy so here
is a version to test, it is large so see git repository at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shemminger/chelsio-2.6.git

This is a clone of jeff's netdev-2.6 tree, and the chelsio stuff is on
the chelsio branch.

This took me an afternoon, so I don't see why Chelsio didn't do it.

Port of Chelsio's 2.2.0 version driver from:
http://service.chelsio.com/drivers/linux/t210/cxgb2toe-2.2.0.tar.gz

De-vendorized:
- removed all TCP Offload Engine support because those changes
will not be accepted in mainline kernel.
- new files run through Lindent
- removed code that was '#ifdef' for older kernel versions
- fix for 2.6.19 irq
- replace usage of TSC with ktime
- remove /proc trace debug stuff
- remove dead code
- incorporate GSO, etc.
- get rid of FILE_IDENT() macro
- fix sparse warnings by adding __iomem and __user

2006-11-17 20:31:33

by Jeff Garzik

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Felix Marti wrote:
>> Jeff, as indicated by Chris, the driver that is in the kernel is for
>> N110 and N210. So far, we have not received any customer complaints
>> regarding bugs in the driver and thus it has not been updated in a long
>> time. If you feel like there are some missing features/bug fixes, I'd be
>> glad to spend some time on it.
>>
>> However, Chris's initial request is regarding support for T210. As you
>> indicate, the T210 product is a superset of N110/N210 and i.e. supports
>> TOE. Since the T210 board features additional pieces of hardware, these
>> must be initialized (i.e. memory controllers and TCAM) even if the board
>> is to be used as a NIC only. If the kernel developers are okay with
>> these additional initialization procedures we could update the driver to
>> support N as well as T based products, in NIC mode only, of course ;)
>

> I'd welcome support for NIC mode, so, sure...

Well, presuming that active maintenance comes along with it...

Jeff

2006-11-17 20:31:00

by Jeff Garzik