2006-11-16 14:46:45

by Chris Leadbeater

Subject: Kernel.org server problems?

Hi,

Don't know if this is the correct place to bring this up but
/pub/linux/kernel/* seems to be unavailable on kernel.org via FTP. Both
my linux box and my work Windows box can connect to kernel.org, but
cding to the directory (I'm on the Windoze machine at the moment) gives:

230 Login successful.
ftp> cd pub
250 Directory successfully changed.
ftp> cd linux
250 Directory successfully changed.
ftp> cd kernel
250 Directory successfully changed.
ftp> cd v2.6
(after about 30 seconds)
Connection closed by remote host.

http://www.kernel.org via http seems to be REALLY slow as well.

Cheers

--Chris

2006-11-16 15:22:54

by Stefan Richter

Subject: Re: Kernel.org server problems?

ftp://ftp.uk.kernel.org/ and http://www.uk.kernel.org/ work.
--
Stefan Richter
-=====-=-==- =-== =----

2006-11-16 17:40:21

by Alistair John Strachan

On Thursday 16 November 2006 14:46, Chris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Don't know if this is the correct place to bring this up but
> /pub/linux/kernel/* seems to be unavailable on kernel.org via FTP. Both
> my linux box and my work Windows box can connect to kernel.org, but
> cding to the directory (I'm on the Windoze machine at the moment) gives:
>
> 230 Login successful.
> ftp> cd pub
> 250 Directory successfully changed.
> ftp> cd linux
> 250 Directory successfully changed.
> ftp> cd kernel
> 250 Directory successfully changed.
> ftp> cd v2.6
> (after about 30 seconds)
> Connection closed by remote host.
>
> http://www.kernel.org via http seems to be REALLY slow as well.

Git's also broken. This has become a major problem in recent months..

Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.

by Chris Leadbeater

Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> On Thursday 16 November 2006 14:46, Chris wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Don't know if this is the correct place to bring this up but
>> /pub/linux/kernel/* seems to be unavailable on kernel.org via FTP. Both
>> my linux box and my work Windows box can connect to kernel.org, but
>> cding to the directory (I'm on the Windoze machine at the moment) gives:
>>
>> 230 Login successful.
>> ftp> cd pub
>> 250 Directory successfully changed.
>> ftp> cd linux
>> 250 Directory successfully changed.
>> ftp> cd kernel
>> 250 Directory successfully changed.
>> ftp> cd v2.6
>> (after about 30 seconds)
>> Connection closed by remote host.
>>
>> http://www.kernel.org via http seems to be REALLY slow as well.
>>

> Git's also broken. This has become a major problem in recent months..

Thanks for letting us know, the regional mirrors (for ftp.kernel.org, at
least) seem to work perfectly though.

2006-11-16 18:38:28

by Alistair John Strachan

On Thursday 16 November 2006 17:56, Chris Leadbeater wrote:
> Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 November 2006 14:46, Chris wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Don't know if this is the correct place to bring this up but
> >> /pub/linux/kernel/* seems to be unavailable on kernel.org via FTP. Both
> >> my linux box and my work Windows box can connect to kernel.org, but
> >> cding to the directory (I'm on the Windoze machine at the moment) gives:
> >>
> >> 230 Login successful.
> >> ftp> cd pub
> >> 250 Directory successfully changed.
> >> ftp> cd linux
> >> 250 Directory successfully changed.
> >> ftp> cd kernel
> >> 250 Directory successfully changed.
> >> ftp> cd v2.6
> >> (after about 30 seconds)
> >> Connection closed by remote host.
> >>
> >> http://www.kernel.org via http seems to be REALLY slow as well.
> >
> > Git's also broken. This has become a major problem in recent months..
>
> Thanks for letting us know, the regional mirrors (for ftp.kernel.org, at
> least) seem to work perfectly though.

Git doesn't seem to be mirrored regionally.

Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.

by Stefan Richter

Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> On Thursday 16 November 2006 17:56, Chris Leadbeater wrote:
>> Thanks for letting us know, the regional mirrors (for ftp.kernel.org, at
>> least) seem to work perfectly though.
>
> Git doesn't seem to be mirrored regionally.

FTP and/or HTTP access to /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ seems to be
provided by all mirrors. It's just that they don't run services like
gitweb and maybe rsync. Or does any of the regional mirrors do so?
--
Stefan Richter