2006-11-28 03:17:26

by Federico Sevilla III

Subject: 2.6.18.3 Lockup on Athlon MP

Hi,

I am experiencing hard lock ups on a dual Athlon MP 2600+ with Linux
kernel 2.6.18.3. This can be reproduced within two minutes by running
burnK7 from cpuburn. I am sure it's not just a hardware issue, though,
since running a 2.6.14 kernel using ServerBeach's "RapidRescue"
environment allows me to run burnK7 for extended periods without locking
up the machine.

The machine is rented from ServerBeach, so I'm not exactly sure about
the make and model of the parts, but I'm including the output of dmesg
and lspci here, as well as the kernel configuration I am using. Also,
this machine does not run XFree86/X.org. It is a CLI-only machine that
is interfaced to purely through the network.

Any help, comments or tips would be greatly appreciated. Please cc me as
I'm not on the list.

Cheers!

--> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III
F S 3 Consulting Inc.

Attachments:
(No filename) (877.00 B)
config.txt (25.72 kB)
lspci.txt (2.75 kB)
cpuinfo.txt (839.00 B)
dmesg.txt (9.62 kB)

by Federico Sevilla III

Subject: Re: 2.6.18.3 Lockup on Athlon MP

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:17:01AM +0800, Federico Sevilla III wrote:
> I am experiencing hard lock ups on a dual Athlon MP 2600+ with Linux
> kernel 2.6.18.3. This can be reproduced within two minutes by running
> burnK7 from cpuburn. I am sure it's not just a hardware issue, though,
> since running a 2.6.14 kernel using ServerBeach's "RapidRescue"
> environment allows me to run burnK7 for extended periods without
> locking up the machine.

I found the thread "2.6.18 Nasty Lockup" and tried the suggestion to
boot with clocksource=acpi_pm. The two burnK7 processes have been
running (stressing both CPUs) for 90 minutes now and the system
continues to be responsive.

--> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III