2006-12-18 13:05:44

by Olivier Galibert

Subject: Detecting disk I/O errors

Is there a way to know if there has been I/O error(s) on a specific
disk or partition since boot other than parsing dmesg and hoping it's
both still there and in the expected format?

Of course that's if the error didn't kill the system in the first
place :-)

OG.

2006-12-18 13:42:18

by Erik Mouw

Subject: Re: Detecting disk I/O errors

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 02:05:41PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> Is there a way to know if there has been I/O error(s) on a specific
> disk or partition since boot other than parsing dmesg and hoping it's
> both still there and in the expected format?

Use smartctl. It can be started in a monitor mode.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- http://www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --