2006-12-29 06:35:06

by Michael S. Tsirkin

Subject: No sound in KDE with intel hda since 2.6.20-rc1

Hi!
Since 2.6.20-rc1 (tested both -rc1 and rc2), system notification sounds under
KDE, and sound in games (e.g. TuxPaint) no longer seem to work on my T60
thinkpad. Works fine under 2.6.19 though. The strange thing is e.g. Amarok
still plays music fine.

I see nothing strange in dmesg - just the initialization message from ALSA
Dec 26 10:01:29 localhost kernel: [ 7.540000] Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.13 (Tue Nov 28 14:07:24 2006 UTC).
Dec 26 10:01:29 localhost kernel: [ 7.540000] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[B] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
Dec 28 19:50:27 localhost kernel: [ 6.810000] ALSA device list:
Dec 28 19:50:27 localhost kernel: [ 6.810000] #0: Virtual MIDI Card 1
Dec 28 19:50:27 localhost kernel: [ 6.810000] #1: HDA Intel at 0xee240000 irq 22

$ lspci | grep -i audio
0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio
Controller (rev 02)

Did I misconfigure the kernel somehow?

.config from 2.6.19 and from 2.6.20-rc2 attached.

--
MST

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.02 kB)
.config (44.65 kB)
.config (46.06 kB)

by Michael S. Tsirkin

Subject: Re: No sound in KDE with intel hda since 2.6.20-rc1

> Since 2.6.20-rc1 (tested both -rc1 and rc2), system notification sounds under
> KDE, and sound in games (e.g. TuxPaint) no longer seem to work on my T60
> thinkpad. Works fine under 2.6.19 though. The strange thing is e.g. Amarok
> still plays music fine.

Tis is on Kubuntu 6.06, BTW.

--
MST

2006-12-29 17:07:29

by Benoît Rouits

Hello,
I think your kernel is Ok with your sound card.
The problem is from KDE.

I suggest you look at:
- your "KDE control center" => sound system and configure ArtsD
- verify Amarok's preferences to see if ALSA or ArtsD are used.
cheers.

Le vendredi 29 décembre 2006 à 09:18 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin a écrit :
> > Since 2.6.20-rc1 (tested both -rc1 and rc2), system notification sounds under
> > KDE, and sound in games (e.g. TuxPaint) no longer seem to work on my T60
> > thinkpad. Works fine under 2.6.19 though. The strange thing is e.g. Amarok
> > still plays music fine.
>
> Tis is on Kubuntu 6.06, BTW.

2006-12-29 22:23:35

by Ismail Dönmez

29 Ara 2006 Cum 09:18 tarihinde, Michael S. Tsirkin şunları yazmıştı:
> > Since 2.6.20-rc1 (tested both -rc1 and rc2), system notification sounds
> > under KDE, and sound in games (e.g. TuxPaint) no longer seem to work on
> > my T60 thinkpad. Works fine under 2.6.19 though. The strange thing is
> > e.g. Amarok still plays music fine.
>
> Tis is on Kubuntu 6.06, BTW.

Same on Pardus 2007 which uses KDE 3.5.5.

Regards,
ismail

--
2 + 2 = 5 for very large values of 2

2006-12-30 17:47:46

by Michael S. Tsirkin

> > > Since 2.6.20-rc1 (tested both -rc1 and rc2), system notification sounds under
> > > KDE, and sound in games (e.g. TuxPaint) no longer seem to work on my T60
> > > thinkpad. Works fine under 2.6.19 though. The strange thing is e.g. Amarok
> > > still plays music fine.
> >
> > Tis is on Kubuntu 6.06, BTW.
> >

> Hello,
> I think your kernel is Ok with your sound card.
> The problem is from KDE.
>
> I suggest you look at:
> - your "KDE control center" => sound system and configure ArtsD
> - verify Amarok's preferences to see if ALSA or ArtsD are used.
> cheers.

Don't really see anything strange there.
KDE is set to ALSA. Amarok is set to autodetect.

Why would things work fine when I switch back to 2.6.19?

--
MST

2006-12-30 18:27:48

by Michael S. Tsirkin

> suggestion: change the Amarok audio backend options
> and test every one until it sounds good.
>
> reply with re results.
> That will help to understand the problem, if any.

OK.
Under 2.6.19, both alsa and oss backends work.
Under 2.6.20-rc2, oss works but alsa does not.

So I guess the problem is with ALSA interface in my 2.6.20-rc2?

--
MST

2006-12-30 18:43:40

by Alistair John Strachan

On Friday 29 December 2006 06:25, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Virtual MIDI Card 1

Compile this feature out, I bet things start working again.

Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.

by Michael S. Tsirkin

> > Virtual MIDI Card 1
>
> Compile this feature out, I bet things start working again.

I used to have it off, tried enabling this after I saw the problem
with ALSA.

--
MST

2006-12-30 18:49:55

by Michael S. Tsirkin

> Since 2.6.20-rc1 (tested both -rc1 and rc2), system notification sounds under
> KDE, and sound in games (e.g. TuxPaint) no longer seem to work on my T60
> thinkpad. Works fine under 2.6.19 though. The strange thing is e.g. Amarok
> still plays music fine.

Update: Amarok was set to auto-detect the backend, KDE uses ALSA backend.
On 2.6.20-rc2, if I force Amarok to alsa backend, I get a message that
xine could not initialized any drivers and no sound. If I force it
to use oss interface Amarok works fine.

On 2.6.19 both alsa and oss work fine.

So it seems that something broken in the alsa API in my 2.6.20-rc2.

--
MST

2006-12-30 19:11:15

by Michael S. Tsirkin

> On Friday 29 December 2006 06:25, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Virtual MIDI Card 1
>
> Compile this feature out, I bet things start working again.

Yes, this helped, thanks.
BTW, is this expected?

--
MST

2006-12-30 19:18:45

by Alistair John Strachan

On Saturday 30 December 2006 19:11, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > On Friday 29 December 2006 06:25, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > > Virtual MIDI Card 1
> >
> > Compile this feature out, I bet things start working again.
>
> Yes, this helped, thanks.
> BTW, is this expected?

It's a severe "misfeature" in my opinion that caused me problems years ago.
The first soundcard becomes "default", which can probably be overridden in
many different ways.

However, I really think a hack should be put in to prevent "virtual MIDI" from
ever being in the first slot, it's just a bug asking to happen.

Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.

by Ismail Dönmez

30 Ara 2006 Cts 21:19 tarihinde şunları yazmıştınız:

> > > Compile this feature out, I bet things start working again.
> >
> > Yes, this helped, thanks.
> > BTW, is this expected?
>
> It's a severe "misfeature" in my opinion that caused me problems years ago.
> The first soundcard becomes "default", which can probably be overridden in
> many different ways.
>
> However, I really think a hack should be put in to prevent "virtual MIDI"
> from ever being in the first slot, it's just a bug asking to happen.

So should we enable Virtual MIDI in kernel config? Since I have it off and
aRts have no sound with ALSA backend.

Regards,
ismail

--
2 + 2 = 5 for very large values of 2

2006-12-30 20:45:20

by Michael S. Tsirkin

> > > Yes, this helped, thanks.
> > > BTW, is this expected?
> >
> > It's a severe "misfeature" in my opinion that caused me problems years ago.
> > The first soundcard becomes "default", which can probably be overridden in
> > many different ways.
> >
> > However, I really think a hack should be put in to prevent "virtual MIDI"
> > from ever being in the first slot, it's just a bug asking to happen.
>
> So should we enable Virtual MIDI in kernel config? Since I have it off and
> aRts have no sound with ALSA backend.

Try updating to latest git - I have 7479b1ce5ea41a828002c60739cff37f47b62913
with Virtual MIDI off and ALSA seems to work.

BTW, Amarok has an Engine dialog where you can easily switch between backends
which is good for testing.

--
2 + 2 = 5 for very large values of 2

--
MST

2006-12-30 22:10:29

by Ismail Dönmez

30 Ara 2006 Cts 22:45 tarihinde, Michael S. Tsirkin şunları yazmıştı:

> > > It's a severe "misfeature" in my opinion that caused me problems years
> > > ago. The first soundcard becomes "default", which can probably be
> > > overridden in many different ways.
> > >
> > > However, I really think a hack should be put in to prevent "virtual
> > > MIDI" from ever being in the first slot, it's just a bug asking to
> > > happen.
> >
> > So should we enable Virtual MIDI in kernel config? Since I have it off
> > and aRts have no sound with ALSA backend.
>
> Try updating to latest git - I have
> 7479b1ce5ea41a828002c60739cff37f47b62913 with Virtual MIDI off and ALSA
> seems to work.
>
> BTW, Amarok has an Engine dialog where you can easily switch between
> backends which is good for testing.

Still no sound with latest git. But Amarok with ALSA backend works fine. Maybe
some other problem with aRts. Not sure yet but this is surely a new breakage.

Regards,
ismail
--
2 + 2 = 5 for very large values of 2

2007-01-02 22:10:53

by Lee Revell

On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 19:19 +0000, Alistair John Strachan wrote:

> > > Compile this feature out, I bet things start working again.
> >
> > Yes, this helped, thanks.
> > BTW, is this expected?
>
> It's a severe "misfeature" in my opinion that caused me problems years ago.
> The first soundcard becomes "default", which can probably be overridden in
> many different ways.
>
> However, I really think a hack should be put in to prevent "virtual MIDI" from
> ever being in the first slot, it's just a bug asking to happen.

ALSA allows soundcards to be addressed by name. The bug is that KDE
does not handle sound cards being added or removed properly.

Gnome solved this problem already - just go to
System->Preferences->Sound and select the "Default sound card".

Lee