2007-01-04 01:57:26

by Ed Sweetman

Subject: S.M.A.R.T no longer available in 2.6.20-rc2-mm2 with libata

Not sure what went on between 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 and 2.6.20-rc2-mm2 in
libata land but SMART is no longer available on my hdds. I'm assuming
this is not the intended behavior.

In case this is chipset specific, IDE interface: nVidia Corporation
CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)

I'm using Libata nvidia driver, the drives happen to be sata drives, but
even the pata ones no longer report having SMART.

2007-01-04 03:48:49

by Alistair John Strachan

On Thursday 04 January 2007 01:50, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> Not sure what went on between 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 and 2.6.20-rc2-mm2 in
> libata land but SMART is no longer available on my hdds. I'm assuming
> this is not the intended behavior.
>
> In case this is chipset specific, IDE interface: nVidia Corporation
> CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
>
> I'm using Libata nvidia driver, the drives happen to be sata drives, but
> even the pata ones no longer report having SMART.

What program are you trying to use here? As I reported around -rc1 time,
hddtemp is broken by 2.6.20-rc but Jens posted a patch to fix it.

Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.

by Mark Lord

Ed Sweetman wrote:
> Not sure what went on between 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 and 2.6.20-rc2-mm2 in
> libata land but SMART is no longer available on my hdds.

It's working for me with 2.6.20-rc3, ata_piix libata driver.

-ml

2007-01-04 22:13:27

by Ed Sweetman

Mark Lord wrote:
> Ed Sweetman wrote:
>> Not sure what went on between 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 and 2.6.20-rc2-mm2 in
>> libata land but SMART is no longer available on my hdds.
>
> It's working for me with 2.6.20-rc3, ata_piix libata driver.
>
> -ml

Well, not in the sata_nv libata driver. The only change I make is the
kernel (config is basically the same and nothing in the bios or hardware
is altered).

2007-01-04 22:18:14

by Ed Sweetman

Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> On Thursday 04 January 2007 01:50, Ed Sweetman wrote:
>
>> Not sure what went on between 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 and 2.6.20-rc2-mm2 in
>> libata land but SMART is no longer available on my hdds. I'm assuming
>> this is not the intended behavior.
>>
>> In case this is chipset specific, IDE interface: nVidia Corporation
>> CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
>>
>> I'm using Libata nvidia driver, the drives happen to be sata drives, but
>> even the pata ones no longer report having SMART.
>>

> What program are you trying to use here? As I reported around -rc1 time,
> hddtemp is broken by 2.6.20-rc but Jens posted a patch to fix it.

I must have missed that blurb. hddtemp is indeed the program I was
looking at. And it does seem that it is the only one broken. Just
re-installed the other smartctl tools and they do work. Thanks.

2007-01-05 02:12:06

by Gene Heskett

On Thursday 04 January 2007 17:12, Ed Sweetman wrote:
>Alistair John Strachan wrote:
>> On Thursday 04 January 2007 01:50, Ed Sweetman wrote:
>>> Not sure what went on between 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 and 2.6.20-rc2-mm2 in
>>> libata land but SMART is no longer available on my hdds. I'm
>>> assuming this is not the intended behavior.
>>>
>>> In case this is chipset specific, IDE interface: nVidia Corporation
>>> CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
>>>
>>> I'm using Libata nvidia driver, the drives happen to be sata drives,
>>> but even the pata ones no longer report having SMART.
>>
>> What program are you trying to use here? As I reported around -rc1
>> time, hddtemp is broken by 2.6.20-rc but Jens posted a patch to fix
>> it.

Which I believe must already be in -rc3. I just started it after
configuring it, restarted gkrellm and there they all were. But I haven't
tried any earlier kernels with it either.

>I must have missed that blurb. hddtemp is indeed the program I was
>looking at. And it does seem that it is the only one broken. Just
>re-installed the other smartctl tools and they do work. Thanks.
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
> in the body of a message to [email protected]

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are:

by Mark Lord

Ed Sweetman wrote:
> Mark Lord wrote:
>> Ed Sweetman wrote:
>>> Not sure what went on between 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 and 2.6.20-rc2-mm2 in
>>> libata land but SMART is no longer available on my hdds.
>>
>> It's working for me with 2.6.20-rc3, ata_piix libata driver.
>>
> Well, not in the sata_nv libata driver.

Exactly what "smartctl" command/parms are you using,
and exactly what output does it produce?

Hint:

smartctl -data -a /dev/sda ## ????