2007-01-09 21:11:45

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Subject: SATA/IDE Dual Mode w/Intel 945 Chipset or HOW TO LIQUIFY a flash IDE chip under 2.6.18

I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a Shuttle
motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.

The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the chassis.
I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some serious
issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently. Are
there known problems with the Linux drivers
with these newer chipsets.

One other disturbing issue was the IDE flash drive was configured (and
recognized) as /dev/hda during bootup, but when
it got to the root mountint, even with root=/dev/hda set, it still kept
thinking the drive was at scsi (ATA) device (08,13)
and kept crashing with VFS cannot find root FS errors.

Jeff

2007-01-09 21:16:15

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

root=/dev/hda2 is what was passed to the kernel from grub.

Jeff

> I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a Shuttle
> motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
> SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.
>
> The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the
> chassis. I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some serious
> issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently.
> Are there known problems with the Linux drivers
> with these newer chipsets.
>
> One other disturbing issue was the IDE flash drive was configured (and
> recognized) as /dev/hda during bootup, but when
> it got to the root mountint, even with root=/dev/hda set, it still
> kept thinking the drive was at scsi (ATA) device (08,13)
> and kept crashing with VFS cannot find root FS errors.
>
> Jeff
> -
> linux-kernel" in

by Kok, Auke

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> root=/dev/hda2 is what was passed to the kernel from grub.
>
> Jeff
>

>> I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a Shuttle
>> motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
>> SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.
>>
>> The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the
>> chassis. I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some serious
>> issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently.
>> Are there known problems with the Linux drivers
>> with these newer chipsets.
>>
>> One other disturbing issue was the IDE flash drive was configured (and
>> recognized) as /dev/hda during bootup, but when
>> it got to the root mountint, even with root=/dev/hda set, it still
>> kept thinking the drive was at scsi (ATA) device (08,13)
>> and kept crashing with VFS cannot find root FS errors.

it sounds like someone switched the BIOS IDE setting from ide-compatible/legacy to AHCI
or similar, a not uncommon option in the sata controllers on those boards.

None of that would explain the melting of anything of course.

Cheers,

Auke

2007-01-09 22:36:17

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Auke Kok wrote:

> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
>> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>>
>> root=/dev/hda2 is what was passed to the kernel from grub.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

>>> I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a
>>> Shuttle motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
>>> SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.
>>>
>>> The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the
>>> chassis. I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some
>>> serious
>>> issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently.
>>> Are there known problems with the Linux drivers
>>> with these newer chipsets.
>>>
>>> One other disturbing issue was the IDE flash drive was configured
>>> (and recognized) as /dev/hda during bootup, but when
>>> it got to the root mountint, even with root=/dev/hda set, it still
>>> kept thinking the drive was at scsi (ATA) device (08,13)
>>> and kept crashing with VFS cannot find root FS errors.
>>

> it sounds like someone switched the BIOS IDE setting from
> ide-compatible/legacy to AHCI or similar, a not uncommon option in the
> sata controllers on those boards.
>
> None of that would explain the melting of anything of course.

Would be if pin 20 were powered for some reason (which it should NOT
be).

Jeff

> Cheers,
>
> Auke
> -
> linux-kernel" in

by Lennart Sorensen

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 01:46:42PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a Shuttle
> motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
> SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.
>
> The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the chassis.
> I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some serious
> issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently. Are
> there known problems with the Linux drivers
> with these newer chipsets.

Had the drive ever been used in any other machine? Had any ide device
ever been used in this machine before? It really sounds like a hardware
problem, since I can't think of anything software could do to make that
kind of current go through the flash drive.

I remember seeing the controller chip on a 730MB quantum scsi drive
start to glow red many years ago, just before the drive stopped
responding to the system (and I turned off the power). Hardware does
fail. It almost never has anything to do with software.

--
Len Sorensen

2007-01-09 23:21:44

by Jeff Garzik

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a Shuttle
> motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
> SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.
>
> The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the chassis.
> I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some serious
> issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently. Are
> there known problems with the Linux drivers
> with these newer chipsets.
>
> One other disturbing issue was the IDE flash drive was configured (and
> recognized) as /dev/hda during bootup, but when
> it got to the root mountint, even with root=/dev/hda set, it still kept
> thinking the drive was at scsi (ATA) device (08,13)
> and kept crashing with VFS cannot find root FS errors.

We have two sets of ATA drivers now, and Intel motherboards support
bazillion annoying IDE modes, so you will need to provide more info than
this.

Is the motherboard in combined mode? native mode? AHCI or RAID mode?
What driver set did you pick? is drivers/ide built in, modular, or
disabled? is drivers/ata built in, modular, or disabled?

The cannot-find-root-FS errors are definitely caused by driver and/or
initrd misconfiguration. The melted flash, I dunno, maybe you managed
to get two drivers fighting over the same hardware.

Jeff

2007-01-09 23:59:21

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

>> I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a Shuttle
>> motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
>> SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.
>>
>> The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the
>> chassis. I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some serious
>> issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently.
>> Are there known problems with the Linux drivers
>> with these newer chipsets.
>>
>> One other disturbing issue was the IDE flash drive was configured
>> (and recognized) as /dev/hda during bootup, but when
>> it got to the root mountint, even with root=/dev/hda set, it still
>> kept thinking the drive was at scsi (ATA) device (08,13)
>> and kept crashing with VFS cannot find root FS errors.
>

> We have two sets of ATA drivers now, and Intel motherboards support
> bazillion annoying IDE modes, so you will need to provide more info
> than this.
>
> Is the motherboard in combined mode?

Yes. "Enhanced mode" is how it is listed in the BIOS.

> native mode? AHCI or RAID mode?

No RAID, just enhanced mode (SATA 3.0 + IDE)

> What driver set did you pick?

Standard build = standard IDE + Intel PIIX + SATA + Intel ICP

> is drivers/ide built in, modular, or disabled? is drivers/ata built
> in, modular, or disabled?

built in in all cases.

> The cannot-find-root-FS errors are definitely caused by driver and/or
> initrd misconfiguration. The melted flash, I dunno, maybe you managed
> to get two drivers fighting over the same hardware.

No. Seems related to the chipset problems. If I say "root=/dev/hda2" I
have better not be getting errors claiming device 08:13 could not mount
as root. memory corruption?

The melted flash seems power related (like pin 20 was live for some
reason on a standard IDE).

Jeff

> Jeff

2007-01-10 00:00:34

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 01:46:42PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

>>I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a Shuttle
>>motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
>>SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.
>>
>>The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the chassis.
>>I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some serious
>>issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently. Are
>>there known problems with the Linux drivers
>>with these newer chipsets.
>>

>Had the drive ever been used in any other machine?

Yes, on a SuperMicro X6DHE-G2 Xeon motherboard -- worked fine.

>Had any ide device
>ever been used in this machine before?

Yes. external cabled CDROM Drive seems to work.

Jeff

>It really sounds like a hardware
>problem, since I can't think of anything software could do to make that
>kind of current go through the flash drive.
>
>I remember seeing the controller chip on a 730MB quantum scsi drive
>start to glow red many years ago, just before the drive stopped
>responding to the system (and I turned off the power). Hardware does
>fail. It almost never has anything to do with software.
>
>--
>Len Sorensen
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Jeff Garzik

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>>

>>> I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a Shuttle
>>> motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
>>> SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.
>>>
>>> The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the
>>> chassis. I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some serious
>>> issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently.
>>> Are there known problems with the Linux drivers
>>> with these newer chipsets.
>>>
>>> One other disturbing issue was the IDE flash drive was configured
>>> (and recognized) as /dev/hda during bootup, but when
>>> it got to the root mountint, even with root=/dev/hda set, it still
>>> kept thinking the drive was at scsi (ATA) device (08,13)
>>> and kept crashing with VFS cannot find root FS errors.
>>

>> We have two sets of ATA drivers now, and Intel motherboards support
>> bazillion annoying IDE modes, so you will need to provide more info
>> than this.
>>
>> Is the motherboard in combined mode?
>

> Yes. "Enhanced mode" is how it is listed in the BIOS.

Combined mode is a technical term. Judging from your answers, you are
not using combined mode.

>> native mode? AHCI or RAID mode?
>
> No RAID, just enhanced mode (SATA 3.0 + IDE)

Judging from your answers, you are not in AHCI mode.

Side note: You should use AHCI if available. Emulating a PATA
interface for SATA devices is error prone [in the silicon]. AHCI is
native SATA, "enhanced mode" is not.

>> The cannot-find-root-FS errors are definitely caused by driver and/or
>> initrd misconfiguration. The melted flash, I dunno, maybe you managed
>> to get two drivers fighting over the same hardware.
>
> No. Seems related to the chipset problems. If I say "root=/dev/hda2" I
> have better not be getting errors claiming device 08:13 could not mount
> as root. memory corruption?

If the kernel cannot mount the requested root= disk, it tries the
default that is encoded into the vmlinuz image at build time, which is
probably 08:13.

> The melted flash seems power related (like pin 20 was live for some
> reason on a standard IDE).

Probably, otherwise we would have many more reports like this than just
yours.

Jeff

2007-01-10 00:38:25

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
>> Jeff Garzik wrote:

>>> We have two sets of ATA drivers now, and Intel motherboards support
>>> bazillion annoying IDE modes, so you will need to provide more info
>>> than this.
>>>
>>> Is the motherboard in combined mode?
>>

>> Yes. "Enhanced mode" is how it is listed in the BIOS.
>

> Combined mode is a technical term. Judging from your answers, you are
> not using combined mode.
>

>>> native mode? AHCI or RAID mode?
>>

>> No RAID, just enhanced mode (SATA 3.0 + IDE)
>

> Judging from your answers, you are not in AHCI mode.
>
> Side note: You should use AHCI if available. Emulating a PATA
> interface for SATA devices is error prone [in the silicon]. AHCI is
> native SATA, "enhanced mode" is not.

AHCI It is.

Jeff

>>> The cannot-find-root-FS errors are definitely caused by driver
>>> and/or initrd misconfiguration. The melted flash, I dunno, maybe
>>> you managed to get two drivers fighting over the same hardware.
>>

>> No. Seems related to the chipset problems. If I say
>> "root=/dev/hda2" I have better not be getting errors claiming device
>> 08:13 could not mount as root. memory corruption?
>

> If the kernel cannot mount the requested root= disk, it tries the
> default that is encoded into the vmlinuz image at build time, which is
> probably 08:13.
>

>> The melted flash seems power related (like pin 20 was live for some
>> reason on a standard IDE).
>

> Probably, otherwise we would have many more reports like this than
> just yours.
>
> Jeff

2007-01-10 14:39:20

by Lennart Sorensen

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 07:25:00PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Combined mode is a technical term. Judging from your answers, you are
> not using combined mode.

I would have thought 'sata 3.0 + IDE' sounded a lot like combined mode,
unless it means seperate sata and ide.

> Judging from your answers, you are not in AHCI mode.
>
> Side note: You should use AHCI if available. Emulating a PATA
> interface for SATA devices is error prone [in the silicon]. AHCI is
> native SATA, "enhanced mode" is not.

I tried setting my sister's new machine to AHCI mode (Asus P5B with 965
chipset), but I eventually gave up since it also needed windows xp on it
and I can't for the life of me find an AHCI driver for windows that
would install.

--
Len Sorensen

2007-01-10 14:58:25

by Jeff Garzik

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 07:25:00PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Combined mode is a technical term. Judging from your answers, you are
>> not using combined mode.
>
> I would have thought 'sata 3.0 + IDE' sounded a lot like combined mode,
> unless it means seperate sata and ide.

Enhanced mode means separate SATA and PATA.

(I recommend avoiding the "IDE" acronym, it is largely meaningless and
confusing these days)

>> Judging from your answers, you are not in AHCI mode.
>>
>> Side note: You should use AHCI if available. Emulating a PATA
>> interface for SATA devices is error prone [in the silicon]. AHCI is
>> native SATA, "enhanced mode" is not.
>
> I tried setting my sister's new machine to AHCI mode (Asus P5B with 965
> chipset), but I eventually gave up since it also needed windows xp on it
> and I can't for the life of me find an AHCI driver for windows that
> would install.

Um, ok?

We're talking about Linux here. Linux regularly supports hardware
before Windows does. This is nothing new.

Jeff

2007-01-10 15:15:55

by Lennart Sorensen

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 09:58:21AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Enhanced mode means separate SATA and PATA.
>
> (I recommend avoiding the "IDE" acronym, it is largely meaningless and
> confusing these days)

Good idea.

> We're talking about Linux here. Linux regularly supports hardware
> before Windows does. This is nothing new.

That is certainly true. I just found it odd that intel wouldn't have an
ahci driver available. But then again if ahci is standard I guess they
would expect microsoft to provide the driver instead, which they
probably aren't doing until vista. Linux always seems so much easier.
:) The drivers are just included for everything.

--
Len Sorensen

2007-01-10 17:29:37

by Prakash Punnoor

Am Mittwoch 10 Januar 2007 15:39 schrieb Lennart Sorensen:
> I tried setting my sister's new machine to AHCI mode (Asus P5B with 965
> chipset), but I eventually gave up since it also needed windows xp on it
> and I can't for the life of me find an AHCI driver for windows that
> would install.

You can install the Intel Matrix driver after "adjusting" the inf file...

--
(?= =?)
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\

Attachments:
(No filename) (447.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Lennart Sorensen

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 06:29:28PM +0100, Prakash Punnoor wrote:
> You can install the Intel Matrix driver after "adjusting" the inf file...

Hmm, I guess a good question is: Why should I have to edit the inf file?
Is it an issue of them making it only install if your hardware is
already set to ahci mode? But how am I supposed to boot and install the
driver until I have the driver installed then. Well I might try that
next time I go there. How stupid of intel.

--
Len Sorensen

2007-01-10 17:51:18

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 06:29:28PM +0100, Prakash Punnoor wrote:
>

>>You can install the Intel Matrix driver after "adjusting" the inf file...
>>

>Hmm, I guess a good question is: Why should I have to edit the inf file?
>Is it an issue of them making it only install if your hardware is
>already set to ahci mode? But how am I supposed to boot and install the
>driver until I have the driver installed then. Well I might try that
>next time I go there.
>

>How stupid of intel.

No doubt part of the Wintel (intel + Microsoft) strategy to perpetually
break non-windows platforms with new incompatible
hardware like the switch over from the e1000 MT adapters to e1000 GT
which are not backward compatible with the older chipsets.

I still have not seen the GT adapter work correctly off windows.

Jeff

:-)

Jeff

>--
>Len Sorensen

2007-01-10 17:56:12

by Prakash Punnoor

Am Mittwoch 10 Januar 2007 18:47 schrieb Lennart Sorensen:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 06:29:28PM +0100, Prakash Punnoor wrote:
> > You can install the Intel Matrix driver after "adjusting" the inf file...
>
> Hmm, I guess a good question is: Why should I have to edit the inf file?
> Is it an issue of them making it only install if your hardware is
> already set to ahci mode? But how am I supposed to boot and install the
> driver until I have the driver installed then. Well I might try that
> next time I go there. How stupid of intel.

Intel wants you to buy hw with ICH8R. ICH8 isn't get the advanced features for
free....

To get the driver going: Put your hd to the jmicron, install driver, put hd
back to ich8...

--
(?= =?)
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\

Attachments:
(No filename) (804.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Lennart Sorensen

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 10:25:52AM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> No doubt part of the Wintel (intel + Microsoft) strategy to perpetually
> break non-windows platforms with new incompatible
> hardware like the switch over from the e1000 MT adapters to e1000 GT
> which are not backward compatible with the older chipsets.
>
> I still have not seen the GT adapter work correctly off windows.

But isn't AHCI a new standard intel helped develop? Why would they want
to make it hard to use intel hardware using a standard interface intel
helped create? It makes no sense. Linux doesn't care if the sata is
set to the old PATA compatible interface, or the new AHCI mode. Windows
simply can't boot in AHCI mode and refuses to install a driver for
AHCI mode when it is not already in AHCI mode.

--
Len Sorensen

2007-01-10 18:00:31

by Lennart Sorensen

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 06:56:05PM +0100, Prakash Punnoor wrote:
> Intel wants you to buy hw with ICH8R. ICH8 isn't get the advanced features for
> free....

But the BIOS has AHCI mode as an option. I don't want their fake raid,
just ahci. That isn't an advanced feature, it is native mode. :)

> To get the driver going: Put your hd to the jmicron, install driver, put hd
> back to ich8...

Hmm, could try that, assuming the jmicron controller doesn't mind. Of
course the jmicron can also be set to ahci mode (not that I have an ahci
driver for it either under windows).

--
Len Sorensen

2007-01-10 18:17:25

by Jeff Garzik

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> No doubt part of the Wintel (intel + Microsoft) strategy to perpetually
> break non-windows platforms with new incompatible
> hardware like the switch over from the e1000 MT adapters to e1000 GT
> which are not backward compatible with the older chipsets.

I presume you mean breaking /windows/ platforms?

As I noted, Linux often supports the hardware from the "big" hardware
vendors before Windows does.

They use Linux as a "rabbit" to push Microsoft into supporting
something, with the "Linux supports it already" argument.

Jeff

2007-01-10 18:19:45

by Jeff Garzik

Prakash Punnoor wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 10 Januar 2007 18:47 schrieb Lennart Sorensen:
>> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 06:29:28PM +0100, Prakash Punnoor wrote:
>>> You can install the Intel Matrix driver after "adjusting" the inf file...
>> Hmm, I guess a good question is: Why should I have to edit the inf file?
>> Is it an issue of them making it only install if your hardware is
>> already set to ahci mode? But how am I supposed to boot and install the
>> driver until I have the driver installed then. Well I might try that
>> next time I go there. How stupid of intel.
>
> Intel wants you to buy hw with ICH8R. ICH8 isn't get the advanced features for
> free....

What advanced features do you claim are missing from ICH8?

The 'R' indicates software RAID, provided by BIOS and a software driver.
Which uses the standard AHCI programming interface. ICH8 provides
AHCI, just like ICH8R does.

Jeff

2007-01-10 18:33:57

by Prakash Punnoor

Am Mittwoch 10 Januar 2007 19:19 schrieb Jeff Garzik:
> Prakash Punnoor wrote:
> > Intel wants you to buy hw with ICH8R. ICH8 isn't get the advanced
> > features for free....
>
> What advanced features do you claim are missing from ICH8?

I don't claim anything. Intel does. I know that the chip is basically the
same.

> The 'R' indicates software RAID, provided by BIOS and a software driver.
> Which uses the standard AHCI programming interface. ICH8 provides
> AHCI, just like ICH8R does.

Yes, I know...

--
(?= =?)
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\

Attachments:
(No filename) (590.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Robert Hancock

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 09:58:21AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Enhanced mode means separate SATA and PATA.
>>
>> (I recommend avoiding the "IDE" acronym, it is largely meaningless and
>> confusing these days)
>
> Good idea.
>
>> We're talking about Linux here. Linux regularly supports hardware
>> before Windows does. This is nothing new.
>
> That is certainly true. I just found it odd that intel wouldn't have an
> ahci driver available. But then again if ahci is standard I guess they
> would expect microsoft to provide the driver instead, which they
> probably aren't doing until vista. Linux always seems so much easier.
> :) The drivers are just included for everything.

There are AHCI drivers available for Windows for sure. Think it's part
of the "Intel Application Accelerator" package or something.

Think there was talk that Microsoft would write a standard AHCI driver,
but right now all the vendors are writing their own I believe.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]