2007-01-23 23:41:08

by Christoph Anton Mitterer

Subject: Strange

Hi.

I'm using a kernel 2.6.18.1 with a Plextor PX-769A CD/DVD drive (using
the old IDE drivers)... The drive itself is brand-new. The firmware
version is 1.06 (which is the most recent).

There are to issues I experience.

1) On some (but not all) DVD-Videos I get the following messages:

kernel: hdb: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: hdb: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand
LastFailedSense=0x05 }
kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
kernel: ATAPI device hdb:
kernel: Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
kernel: Read of scrambled sector without authentication -- (asc=0x6f,
ascq=0x03)
kernel: The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
kernel: "28 00 00 00 01 38 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 1248

What do they mean? Does it indicate a damage in the drive? Or a firmware
error? Anyway I can read the contents of the media (and watch the movies
on it)....

The error appears after mounting the discs (but as I've said, not with
every disc).

Any ideas?

2) As far as I can remember, when a disc was mounted, the eject button
was disabled. But now, when I press the eject button, the disc is
ejected (and it seems that it is unmounted, at least mount doesn't show
it any longer).

Is this the correct behaviour? I'd doubt that.

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Attachments:
calestyo.vcf (156.00 B)

2007-01-23 23:57:44

by Alan

> kernel: Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
> kernel: Read of scrambled sector without authentication -- (asc=0x6f,
> ascq=0x03)

The disc is using digital rights management. If you are in a country that
permits it you can use a dvd reader library with decss support, if not
you'll have to either watch your disks on a system approved by the movie
industry enforcers or commit a crime to read the disc.

Alan

2007-01-24 00:01:28

Alan wrote:
>> kernel: Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
>> kernel: Read of scrambled sector without authentication -- (asc=0x6f,
>> ascq=0x03)
>>

> The disc is using digital rights management. If you are in a country that
> permits it you can use a dvd reader library with decss support, if not
> you'll have to either watch your disks on a system approved by the movie
> industry enforcers or commit a crime to read the disc.

I knew of course about libdvdcss but I've never noticed before that the
kernel issues these error messages to the syslog.

So you say this is normal?! But the problem with ejecting isn't probably
normal.

Best wishes,
Chris.

Attachments:
calestyo.vcf (156.00 B)

2007-01-24 01:06:13

by Alan

> I knew of course about libdvdcss but I've never noticed before that the
> kernel issues these error messages to the syslog.

Various bits of random desktop junk poll drives to see what has appeared
and stick icons on desktops. Some of them do stuff that produces messages
like this because they aren't careful how they probe and what they do.

> So you say this is normal?! But the problem with ejecting isn't probably
> normal.

Eject is application controllable. Most movie players re-enable the
button.

2007-01-24 01:55:11

by Alistair John Strachan

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 00:01, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Alan wrote:
> >> kernel: Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
> >> kernel: Read of scrambled sector without authentication -- (asc=0x6f,
> >> ascq=0x03)
> >
> > The disc is using digital rights management. If you are in a country that
> > permits it you can use a dvd reader library with decss support, if not
> > you'll have to either watch your disks on a system approved by the movie
> > industry enforcers or commit a crime to read the disc.
>
> I knew of course about libdvdcss but I've never noticed before that the
> kernel issues these error messages to the syslog.

If you've replaced the drive, the decss keys might have changed for inserted
media (this is especially true if your old drive had a different region
setting).

First set the DVD region on the drive to where you are (probably 2),
using "regionset". Then rm -rf ~/.dvdcss and restart your video playing
application. It should rescan the dvd, figure out the keys, no error
messages.

> So you say this is normal?! But the problem with ejecting isn't probably
> normal.

Yeah, like Alan says it's just the DRM nonsense built into your drive trying
to "protect" the media. You can find firmware modifications which remove this
logic from the drive, but I'm not sure of their legality.

Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.

Alan wrote:
>> I knew of course about libdvdcss but I've never noticed before that the
>> kernel issues these error messages to the syslog.
>>
> Various bits of random desktop junk poll drives to see what has appeared
> and stick icons on desktops. Some of them do stuff that produces messages
> like this because they aren't careful how they probe and what they do.

Yes of course, but I've disabled that end-user stuff, and for
convenience even tested the whole thing with runlevel 1 (single user).

>> So you say this is normal?! But the problem with ejecting isn't probably
>> normal.
>>
> Eject is application controllable. Most movie players re-enable the
> button.

Yes I knew,.. I just wondered because that worked even when no player
was started at all. But I found out that this must depend on GNOME,
because when mount + eject-button from single-user,.. the disc is not
ejected.
Anyway it is ejected (+unmounted) when using the eject command (but I
assume that this is normal).

Thanks,
Chris.

Attachments:
calestyo.vcf (156.00 B)

2007-01-24 12:42:47

Alistair John Strachan wrote:
>> I knew of course about libdvdcss but I've never noticed before that the
>> kernel issues these error messages to the syslog.
>>
> If you've replaced the drive, the decss keys might have changed for inserted
> media (this is especially true if your old drive had a different region
> setting).

Yes,... but as I've just told Alan,... it happens even when just
mounting (an not using libdvdcss at all).

> First set the DVD region on the drive to where you are (probably 2),
> using "regionset".
That was already done (by factory I assume):
# regionset /dev/hdb
regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives
Current Region Code settings:
RPC Phase: II
type: SET
vendor resets available: 4
user controlled changes resets available: 4
drive plays discs from region(s): 2, mask=0xFD

Would you like to change the region setting of your drive? [y/n]:n

> Then rm -rf ~/.dvdcss and restart your video playing
> application. It should rescan the dvd, figure out the keys, no error
> messages.

Playing just works normal (even without recreation of the dvdcss cache)
it's just the syslog message when mounting that makes me nervous ;)

Thanks,
Chris.

Attachments:
calestyo.vcf (156.00 B)