2007-02-04 16:01:41

by Patrick Ale

Subject: More pata_ stuff

Hi,

I tried to use the new pata drivers on a Dual PII-400Mhz with the
Intel PIIX controller.

Unfortunately the controller doesn't get detected on boot time, the
old IDE drivers do work and see the controller as a PIIX4 chipset,
which is correct.

The mainboard is a Asus P2B with integrated Adaptec SCSI host and the
PIIX controller.

Patrick

2007-02-04 17:35:13

by Alan

Subject: Re: More pata_ stuff

> Unfortunately the controller doesn't get detected on boot time, the
> old IDE drivers do work and see the controller as a PIIX4 chipset,
> which is correct.

Please provide kernel version, an lspci -vvxxx, the actual type of
controller if you know it (if not the lspci will show it) and your .config

Remember that you'll beed both scsi disk and the relevant pata driver
support to detect your disks.

2007-02-04 17:39:12

by Robert Hancock

Patrick Ale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to use the new pata drivers on a Dual PII-400Mhz with the
> Intel PIIX controller.
>
> Unfortunately the controller doesn't get detected on boot time, the
> old IDE drivers do work and see the controller as a PIIX4 chipset,
> which is correct.
>
> The mainboard is a Asus P2B with integrated Adaptec SCSI host and the
> PIIX controller.

ata_piix should drive that chipset. Was that driver enabled in the
kernel configuration, and if it's built modular is the initrd, etc. set
up to load it on boot?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]

by Patrick Ale

On 2/4/07, Robert Hancock <[email protected]> wrote:

> ata_piix should drive that chipset. Was that driver enabled in the
> kernel configuration, and if it's built modular is the initrd, etc. set
> up to load it on boot?

Hi,

Yep, piix was configured as built-in, I don't use ramdisks.
And, the SD driver is configured built-in aswell.
Hence, this is more or less the same kernel config as I used with my
Gigabyte GA-VAXP Ultra mainboard. The things I changed in this new
config are:

- Enable SMP
- Enable ata_piix
- CPU Type set to Pentium II

Here is my config plus an output of my lspci -vvv

Patrick

Attachments:
(No filename) (607.00 B)
config-2.6.20-rc7 (41.45 kB)
lspci.txt (4.70 kB)

by Alistair John Strachan

On Sunday 04 February 2007 18:20, Patrick Ale wrote:
> On 2/4/07, Robert Hancock <[email protected]> wrote:
> > ata_piix should drive that chipset. Was that driver enabled in the
> > kernel configuration, and if it's built modular is the initrd, etc. set
> > up to load it on boot?
>
> Hi,
>
> Yep, piix was configured as built-in, I don't use ramdisks.
> And, the SD driver is configured built-in aswell.
> Hence, this is more or less the same kernel config as I used with my
> Gigabyte GA-VAXP Ultra mainboard. The things I changed in this new
> config are:
>
> - Enable SMP
> - Enable ata_piix
> - CPU Type set to Pentium II

And this config has clearly:

# CONFIG_ATA_PIIX is not set

Which for a PIIX4 chipset is what you want. Somewhat confusingly:

CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX=y
CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX=y

Should be "n", I've been told.

Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.

by Patrick Ale

On 2/4/07, Alistair John Strachan <[email protected]> wrote:

> Which for a PIIX4 chipset is what you want. Somewhat confusingly:
>
> CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX=y
> CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX=y
>
> Should be "n", I've been told.

What? No, this cant be. CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX is supposed to be the
libsata version for the PIIX IDE driver, which is what i want to use.
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX is the old IDE driver, not the pata_ driver, is it?

2007-02-04 19:22:05

by Alan

> And this config has clearly:
>
> # CONFIG_ATA_PIIX is not set
>
> Which for a PIIX4 chipset is what you want. Somewhat confusingly:
>
> CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX=y
> CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX=y
>
> Should be "n", I've been told.

Setthing them as well will cause no problems.

ATA_PIIX drives the Intel PIIX3,PIIX4,ICH series of devices both in PATA
and SATA mode

PATA_MPIIX drives the original mobile PIIX

PATA_OLDPIIX drives the PIIX (the original not PIIX3,4, etc)

People do find that confusing so if there is any rewording for
Configure.help that would have made it easier and more obvious let me know

2007-02-04 19:29:37

by Patrick Ale

On 2/4/07, Alan <[email protected]> wrote:

> PATA_OLDPIIX drives the PIIX (the original not PIIX3,4, etc)
>
> People do find that confusing so if there is any rewording for
> Configure.help that would have made it easier and more obvious let me know

Okay so.. what do I define now to use libsata with this controller?

I thought PATA_OLDPIIX would be it, like it is just that for VIA,SIL
and Promise.

And, maybe its a good idea to make it so that if you select
PATA_OLDPIIX it automaticly selects the dependencies aswell? I see
this happen a lot with other kernel things, like V4L2 and so.
Obviously just selecting PATA_OLDPIIX makes you have a half-configured
kernel config for this controller, and i used "make menuconfig", I
didnt manually edit the .config file.

2007-02-04 19:33:41

by Patrick Ale