2007-02-13 21:20:04

by linux-os (Dick Johnson)

Subject: User tools for March 11

Hi!
In the United States, some idiots have decided that the year 2000 scare
wasn't enough so they changed the start date for daylight savings time
from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March.
Does anybody know if there are new tools like `hwclock` and `date`?
Will new 'C' runtime libraries be necessary as well?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.16.24 on an i686 machine (5592.61 BogoMips).
New book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
_

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email protected] - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.

2007-02-13 21:32:15

by Alan

Subject: Re: User tools for March 11

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:19:59 -0500
"linux-os \(Dick Johnson\)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi!
> In the United States, some idiots have decided that the year 2000 scare
> wasn't enough so they changed the start date for daylight savings time
> from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March.
> Does anybody know if there are new tools like `hwclock` and `date`?
> Will new 'C' runtime libraries be necessary as well?

Your vendor should be able to tell you whether the library versions you
have are sufficiently up to date, which apps need restarting and which
apps use their own timezone code and problems (check for example if you
use Java)

It's nothing special, timezone rules change all the time. Be glad the
world is mostly standardising. When I was younger the UK summer time
switches were set in a meeting each year and they were not too worried
about adjusting it a week for Royal Ascot and that kind of thing.

Alan

2007-02-13 21:40:41

by Alistair John Strachan

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 21:19, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
> Hi!
> In the United States, some idiots have decided that the year 2000 scare
> wasn't enough so they changed the start date for daylight savings time
> from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March.
> Does anybody know if there are new tools like `hwclock` and `date`?
> Will new 'C' runtime libraries be necessary as well?

Unless there are utilities homebrewing locales, glibc (locales) should be the
only package that requires an update. Some distros may sub-package this
as "timezone".

SLES got an updated "timezone" package for the Western Australian changes, but
I'm not sure about the US changes.

Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.

by Matti Aarnio

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 04:19:59PM -0500, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
> Hi!
> In the United States, some idiots have decided that the year 2000 scare
> wasn't enough so they changed the start date for daylight savings time
> from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March.
> Does anybody know if there are new tools like `hwclock` and `date`?
> Will new 'C' runtime libraries be necessary as well?

Dick,

UNIXes use UTC internally which has no DST, but for userspace there is
"tzdata" package (with that name in Fedora, at least.)

* Fri Jan 06 2006 Petr Machata <[email protected]> 2005r-2
- 2005r
- Zones EST, MST, HST, EST5EDT, CST6CDT, MST7MDT, PST8PDT moved to
northamerica to guard against old files with obsolete information
being left in the time zone binary directory.
- Changes for countries that are supposed to join 2007 US DST
change. This includes most of Canada, however entries already in
the database (Alberta, British Columbia, Newfoundland, Northwest
Territories, and Yukon) were left alone for the time being.
- Fixes in zdump.c (abbrok): conditions are chained, and the string
is checked for emptiness.

.. and many alterations since then.

So.. you may already have it in your system. If not, just update that
one package.

> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson

/Matti Aarnio

2007-02-13 21:49:44

by James Purser

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 16:19 -0500, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
> Hi!
> In the United States, some idiots have decided that the year 2000 scare
> wasn't enough so they changed the start date for daylight savings time
> from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March.
> Does anybody know if there are new tools like `hwclock` and `date`?
> Will new 'C' runtime libraries be necessary as well?
>
> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson
> Penguin : Linux version 2.6.16.24 on an i686 machine (5592.61 BogoMips).
> New book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/

Hi Dick,

This timezone change will be handled by the distro makers, so you might
want to check with them. This list is for discussion and development of
the core linux kernel.

Thanks.
--
James Purser
Producer/Presenter

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-02-14 00:14:52

by Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 13 February 2007, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
>Hi!
>In the United States, some idiots have decided that the year 2000 scare
>wasn't enough so they changed the start date for daylight savings time
>from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March.
>Does anybody know if there are new tools like `hwclock` and `date`?
>Will new 'C' runtime libraries be necessary as well?

Dick, I believe all that is contained in the tzdata file, which most
distro's have already updated to reflect those changes.

>Cheers,
>Dick Johnson
>Penguin : Linux version 2.6.16.24 on an i686 machine (5592.61 BogoMips).
>New book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
>_

>The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be
> privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of
> this information by persons or entities other than the intended
> recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message
> or by sending an email to [email protected] - and destroy all
> copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading
> or disclosing them.
>
>Thank you.
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
> in the body of a message to [email protected]

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: