2007-02-22 21:25:47

by Jiri Kosina

Subject: gitweb on kernel.org buggy?

Hi,

the gitweb running on git(2).kernel.org has looked buggy to me for quite a
some time (a month or so) with respect to branches vs. shortlog.

When you browse a repository with mutliple branches, and switch between
branches, the shortlog shown is always the one from master, never from the
branch you switched to, which seems wrong to me.

This definitely worked previously (and works on other installations of
gitweb outside the kernel.org), so it might be worth fixing.

Jiri Kosina

2007-02-22 21:55:28

by H. Peter Anvin

Subject: Re: gitweb on kernel.org buggy?

Jiri Kosina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the gitweb running on git(2).kernel.org has looked buggy to me for quite a
> some time (a month or so) with respect to branches vs. shortlog.
>
> When you browse a repository with mutliple branches, and switch between
> branches, the shortlog shown is always the one from master, never from the
> branch you switched to, which seems wrong to me.
>
> This definitely worked previously (and works on other installations of
> gitweb outside the kernel.org), so it might be worth fixing.
>
> Thanks,

gitweb on kernel.org is at least in part orphanned, since the "official"
gitweb maintainers don't seem to listen to us (kernel.org people) w.r.t.
some issues, mainly related to caching, we've had to fork gitweb and
maintain it ourselves -- however, since kernel.org is currently all
volunteer labor, we have limited amount of time in which to deal with
things.

-hpa

2007-02-23 11:50:25

by Stefan Richter

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> gitweb on kernel.org is at least in part orphanned, since the "official"
> gitweb maintainers don't seem to listen to us (kernel.org people) w.r.t.
> some issues, mainly related to caching, we've had to fork gitweb and
> maintain it ourselves -- however, since kernel.org is currently all
> volunteer labor, we have limited amount of time in which to deal with
> things.

A non-representative data point: 98.72% (give or take ten percent) of my
accesses to kernel.org hosted git repos is via gitweb --- even despite
its slowness, synchronization lag, and bug(s).

Would be nice if there was anybody familiar with issues concerning
high-volume gitweb serving who could contribute.
--
Stefan Richter

2007-02-23 18:06:58

by Robert Fitzsimons

> Would be nice if there was anybody familiar with issues concerning
> high-volume gitweb serving who could contribute.

This bug is fixed (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/1/5/204), but I guess the
change never made it to kernel.org servers.

Robert