2007-02-23 00:38:26

by Michael S. Tsirkin

Subject: 2.6.21-rc1: T60 resume from suspend to RAM issues

I tested this:
commit 9654640d0af8f2de40ff3807d3695109d3463f54
and see 2 issues:

1. After suspend to RAM, system wakes up but no screen.
I can log in through ssh though.
dmesg output at this point below.
Works fine on 2.6.20 and below, with same .config
.config and log file for this issue attached.

2. As a separate test, I enabled DynTicks in .config.
Seems to work fine but won't come out of suspend to memory at all:
pressing Fn/F4 seems to have no effect.

--
MST

Attachments:
(No filename) (475.00 B)
.config (46.18 kB)
log (15.18 kB)

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: 2.6.21-rc1: T60 resume from suspend to RAM issues

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 01:38:03 +0200 "Michael S. Tsirkin" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I tested this:
> commit 9654640d0af8f2de40ff3807d3695109d3463f54
> and see 2 issues:
>
> 1. After suspend to RAM, system wakes up but no screen.
> I can log in through ssh though.
> dmesg output at this point below.
> Works fine on 2.6.20 and below, with same .config
> .config and log file for this issue attached.
>
> 2. As a separate test, I enabled DynTicks in .config.
> Seems to work fine but won't come out of suspend to memory at all:
> pressing Fn/F4 seems to have no effect.

Do you believe that the second problem was caused by dynticks?

2007-02-24 21:11:17

by Michael S. Tsirkin

> Quoting Andrew Morton <[email protected]>:
> Subject: Re: 2.6.21-rc1: T60 resume from suspend to RAM issues
>
> > On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 01:38:03 +0200 "Michael S. Tsirkin" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I tested this:
> > commit 9654640d0af8f2de40ff3807d3695109d3463f54
> > and see 2 issues:
> >
> > 1. After suspend to RAM, system wakes up but no screen.
> > I can log in through ssh though.
> > dmesg output at this point below.
> > Works fine on 2.6.20 and below, with same .config
> > .config and log file for this issue attached.
> >
> > 2. As a separate test, I enabled DynTicks in .config.
> > Seems to work fine but won't come out of suspend to memory at all:
> > pressing Fn/F4 seems to have no effect.
> >

> Do you believe that the second problem was caused by dynticks?

Assuming these are 2 different problems, yes, the second one seems
to be caused by dyntics.

--
MST

2007-02-25 08:58:21

by Thomas Gleixner

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 01:38 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> 1. After suspend to RAM, system wakes up but no screen.
> I can log in through ssh though.
> dmesg output at this point below.
> Works fine on 2.6.20 and below, with same .config
> .config and log file for this issue attached.
>
> 2. As a separate test, I enabled DynTicks in .config.
> Seems to work fine but won't come out of suspend to memory at all:
> pressing Fn/F4 seems to have no effect.

Am I reading this correct, that the box is simply dead after supsend ?
Fn/F4 are the keys you use to resume, right ?

Hmm, I have no idea how dynticks should influence the keyboard wakeup.
The box is somewhere in the guts of the BIOS at this point.

tglx

2007-02-27 10:22:19

by Ingo Molnar

* Michael S. Tsirkin <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > 2. As a separate test, I enabled DynTicks in .config. Seems to
> > > work fine but won't come out of suspend to memory at all: pressing
> > > Fn/F4 seems to have no effect.
> >
> > Do you believe that the second problem was caused by dynticks?
>
> Assuming these are 2 different problems, yes, the second one seems to
> be caused by dyntics.

on my T60 current -git does not resume even without dynticks. v2.6.20
with the same .config resumes fine (except for the display).

after pressing Fn/F4 the disk light flashes briefly, which suggests that
action is probably back to the Linux kernel at that point, and that we
hung somewhere there. Will try a bisection thing.

Ingo

2007-02-27 10:39:15

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > > Do you believe that the second problem was caused by dynticks?
> >
> > Assuming these are 2 different problems, yes, the second one seems to
> > be caused by dyntics.
>
> on my T60 current -git does not resume even without dynticks. v2.6.20
> with the same .config resumes fine (except for the display).

See suspend.sf.net. s2ram is able to resume display for you, too.. as
should some command line parameter.
Pavel

by Ingo Molnar

> > > Assuming these are 2 different problems, yes, the second one seems
> > > to be caused by dyntics.
> >
> > on my T60 current -git does not resume even without dynticks.
> > v2.6.20 with the same .config resumes fine (except for the display).
> >
> > after pressing Fn/F4 the disk light flashes briefly, which suggests
> > that action is probably back to the Linux kernel at that point, and
> > that we hung somewhere there. Will try a bisection thing.
>
> That's exactly the behaviour I have with DynTicks: the disk light
> flashes briefly.

it flashes here briefly even if suspend works fine.

Ingo

2007-02-27 11:19:54

by Michael S. Tsirkin

> Quoting Ingo Molnar <[email protected]>:
> Subject: Re: 2.6.21-rc1: T60 resume from suspend to RAM issues

> > > Do you believe that the second problem was caused by dynticks?
> >
> > Assuming these are 2 different problems, yes, the second one seems to
> > be caused by dyntics.
>
> on my T60 current -git does not resume even without dynticks. v2.6.20
> with the same .config resumes fine (except for the display).
>
> after pressing Fn/F4 the disk light flashes briefly, which suggests that
> action is probably back to the Linux kernel at that point, and that we
> hung somewhere there. Will try a bisection thing.

That's exactly the behaviour I have with DynTicks: the disk light flashes
briefly.

--
MST

2007-02-27 11:35:27

by Michael S. Tsirkin

> Quoting Ingo Molnar <[email protected]>:
> Subject: Re: 2.6.21-rc1: T60 resume from suspend to RAM issues

> > > on my T60 current -git does not resume even without dynticks.
> > > v2.6.20 with the same .config resumes fine (except for the display).
> > >
> > > after pressing Fn/F4 the disk light flashes briefly, which suggests
> > > that action is probably back to the Linux kernel at that point, and
> > > that we hung somewhere there. Will try a bisection thing.
> >
> > That's exactly the behaviour I have with DynTicks: the disk light
> > flashes briefly.
>
> it flashes here briefly even if suspend works fine.

Yes of course. The difference with 2.6.21-rc1 is that flashing the LED
is all it does :)

--
MST