2007-02-26 06:45:04

by Florin Iucha

Subject: 2.6.20-rc1: CIFS cheers, NFS4 jeers

Hello, it's me and my 70 GB of photos again.

I have tested both CIFS and NFSv4 clients in kernel 2.6.20-rc1 . CIFS
passed with flying colors and NFSv4 stalled after 7 GB.

Configuration:

Server: PIII/1GHz, 512 MB RAM, Debian testing,
distro kernel 2.6.18-3-vserver-686, Intel E1000 NIC,
filesystem 170 GB ext3 with default mkfs values on a SATA disk

Client: AMD x2 4200+, 2 GB RAM, Debian testing/unstable
kernel 2.6.20-rc1, Marvell SKGE onboard,
filesystem 120 GB ext3 with default mkfs values on a SATA disk

After the writing stalls, I have echoed 't' into /proc/sysrq-trigger
and got a trace, which is at http://iucha.net/20-rc1/after.1. There was
no oops before the trace request; the 'before' dmesg is at
http://iucha.net/20-rc1/before.1 .

Running 'top', one core is idle and the other is 99% waiting, while
the 'cp' program is in 'D' state. Also, after NFSv4 stalls, invokations
of 'lsof' stall as well. I can 'ssh' into the box without problems.

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.08 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Florin Iucha

Subject: Correction 2.6.21-rc1 Was: 2.6.20-rc1: CIFS cheers, NFS4 jeers

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 12:45:00AM -0600, Florin wrote:
> After the writing stalls, I have echoed 't' into /proc/sysrq-trigger
> and got a trace, which is at http://iucha.net/20-rc1/after.1. There was
> no oops before the trace request; the 'before' dmesg is at
> http://iucha.net/20-rc1/before.1 .

The kernel on the client is 2.6.21-rc1 (but it echoes problems I
reported in December with 2.6.20 series as well) as can be seen from
the kernel logs.

I have corrected the links:

http://iucha.net/21-rc1/before.1
http://iucha.net/21-rc1/after.1
http://iucha.net/21-rc1/config-2.6.21-rc1

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163

Attachments:
(No filename) (707.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Bill Davidsen

Subject: Re: 2.6.20-rc1: CIFS cheers, NFS4 jeers

Florin Iucha wrote:
> Hello, it's me and my 70 GB of photos again.
>
> I have tested both CIFS and NFSv4 clients in kernel 2.6.20-rc1 . CIFS
> passed with flying colors and NFSv4 stalled after 7 GB.
>
> Configuration:
>
> Server: PIII/1GHz, 512 MB RAM, Debian testing,
> distro kernel 2.6.18-3-vserver-686, Intel E1000 NIC,
> filesystem 170 GB ext3 with default mkfs values on a SATA disk
>
> Client: AMD x2 4200+, 2 GB RAM, Debian testing/unstable
> kernel 2.6.20-rc1, Marvell SKGE onboard,
> filesystem 120 GB ext3 with default mkfs values on a SATA disk

Neil has been diddling NFS, I did some light testing with 2.6.20-git14
with 190GB of mp3 and mpg files (library of congress folk music) without
hangs. Just "did it work" tests, copy 20-30GB to server, do md5 on the
data pulled back from the server.

Didn't hang, performance testing later.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>

by Florin Iucha

Subject: Re: 2.6.21-rc1: CIFS cheers, NFS4 jeers

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 09:36:23PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Florin Iucha wrote:
> >Hello, it's me and my 70 GB of photos again.
> >
> >I have tested both CIFS and NFSv4 clients in kernel 2.6.20-rc1 . CIFS
> >passed with flying colors and NFSv4 stalled after 7 GB.

> Neil has been diddling NFS, I did some light testing with 2.6.20-git14
> with 190GB of mp3 and mpg files (library of congress folk music) without
> hangs. Just "did it work" tests, copy 20-30GB to server, do md5 on the
> data pulled back from the server.
>
> Didn't hang, performance testing later.

2.6.20-rcX used to copy all files then hang on certain operations that
I think used the VFS. 2.6.21-rc1 stalls the NFS transfer itself after
several GB. The data was never corrupted.

Have you tried copying _ALL_ 190 GB to the server?

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163

Attachments:
(No filename) (922.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Bill Davidsen

Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 09:36:23PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Florin Iucha wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, it's me and my 70 GB of photos again.
>>>
>>> I have tested both CIFS and NFSv4 clients in kernel 2.6.20-rc1 . CIFS
>>> passed with flying colors and NFSv4 stalled after 7 GB.
>>>

>> Neil has been diddling NFS, I did some light testing with 2.6.20-git14
>> with 190GB of mp3 and mpg files (library of congress folk music) without
>> hangs. Just "did it work" tests, copy 20-30GB to server, do md5 on the
>> data pulled back from the server.
>>
>> Didn't hang, performance testing later.
>>

> 2.6.20-rcX used to copy all files then hang on certain operations that
> I think used the VFS. 2.6.21-rc1 stalls the NFS transfer itself after
> several GB. The data was never corrupted.
>
> Have you tried copying _ALL_ 190 GB to the server?

No, but as noted I was doing 20-30GB, so if "several" is a small number
I'm not seeing that behavior. I'm using a Gbit connection if that is not
the same as your setup. I have additional testing queued for time
available this week.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc