2007-05-04 13:37:16

by [email protected]

Subject: Kernel parameters: root

Hi all

I hope this is the right place to ask this question, if not please redirect me
to the right ML.

I would like to know more about kernel parameters and in particular about the
root parameter.
I'm booting the kernel from usb pen and the root could change while the pen is
plugged in different machines with different hardware.
I was trying to find info about "how to make this unique".
Does the kernel see only /dev/* ? There's no way to pass /dev/disk/*?

Any help/links is apprecciated
S.

2007-05-04 14:30:36

by Jan Engelhardt

Subject: Re: Kernel parameters: root

On May 4 2007 15:37, Salvatore De Paolis wrote:

>I hope this is the right place to ask this question, if not please redirect me
>to the right ML.
>
>I would like to know more about kernel parameters and in particular about the
>root parameter.
>I'm booting the kernel from usb pen and the root could change while the pen is
>plugged in different machines with different hardware.
>I was trying to find info about "how to make this unique".

By using root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_iCreate_CF_Card000000001-part1
for example. Requires an initramfs with udev.

>Does the kernel see only /dev/* ? There's no way to pass /dev/disk/*?

The kernel has special logic to translate some (not ALL)
/dev/[hs]d[abcd..] into device numbers if it cannot find
a device node.

Jan