2007-05-18 22:02:17

by Christian Leber

Subject: [BUG] acpi double resume and fail

Hello,

i hit a problem with suspend to ram and especially resume.
Hardware: Dell Latitude D810 (some Intel 915 with Intel Pentium M)

With 2.6.19.7 suspend to ram works reliable, but with 2.6.20-rc4
it stopped working reliable.
I still can suspend, but after the first resume it goes back to sleep
directly again, when resuming again it works.
After the second suspend it won't resume at all.

The problem is that i can't try out the kernel versions <rc4, because
rc1, rc2 and rc3 doesn't boot at all, so git-bisect also won't help.

Has somebody an idea what i could try out?

(the distribution is in this case ubuntu feisty)

Regards
Christian Leber

--
http://rettetdieti.vde-uni-mannheim.de/

2007-05-18 22:47:18

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: [BUG] acpi double resume and fail

On Fri, 18 May 2007 23:37:01 +0200
Christian Leber <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i hit a problem with suspend to ram and especially resume.
> Hardware: Dell Latitude D810 (some Intel 915 with Intel Pentium M)
>
> With 2.6.19.7 suspend to ram works reliable, but with 2.6.20-rc4
> it stopped working reliable.

argh, that sounds like an ACPI regression.

> I still can suspend, but after the first resume it goes back to sleep
> directly again, when resuming again it works.
> After the second suspend it won't resume at all.
>
> The problem is that i can't try out the kernel versions <rc4, because
> rc1, rc2 and rc3 doesn't boot at all, so git-bisect also won't help.
>
> Has somebody an idea what i could try out?
>
> (the distribution is in this case ubuntu feisty)

The fact that bisection broke really does make it hard. What you would
need to do is to find the patch which fixed that doesn't-boot problem, then
reapply it each time you perform an iteration. That's all doable, if you
have the time. Use git-bisect for it.

Have you tested 2.6.21 and/or 2.6.22-rc1?

We had one other report earlier today that 2.6.22-rc1 does an immediate
resume after suspend-to-RAM - perhaps that is related.

Of course the alternative way of debugging this is just to debug it, rather
than the difficult bisecting. Perhaps an ACPI developer can help with
that.

2007-05-19 19:43:03

by Christian Leber

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 03:45:07PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > I still can suspend, but after the first resume it goes back to sleep
> > directly again, when resuming again it works.
> > After the second suspend it won't resume at all.

I should add, that it goes from the suspend state to "on" and back to
suspend, when i press power again it goes "on", but the screen stays
black, but network doesn't work and most likely linux isn't running,
because the laptop sucks max_power. (2.6.20-rc4)

> > The problem is that i can't try out the kernel versions <rc4, because
> > rc1, rc2 and rc3 doesn't boot at all, so git-bisect also won't help.
> >
> > Has somebody an idea what i could try out?
> >
> > (the distribution is in this case ubuntu feisty)

> The fact that bisection broke really does make it hard. What you would
> need to do is to find the patch which fixed that doesn't-boot problem, then
> reapply it each time you perform an iteration. That's all doable, if you
> have the time. Use git-bisect for it.

I'll try, unfortunatelly the problem is that PCI doesn't work with this
versions.

> Have you tested 2.6.21 and/or 2.6.22-rc1?

I just have tried 2.6.22-rc2 and it's a bit different, I still have to resume
2 times and X does only work the "first" resume correctly, but it somewhat
works.

> We had one other report earlier today that 2.6.22-rc1 does an immediate
> resume after suspend-to-RAM - perhaps that is related.

no

Regards
Christian Leber

--
http://rettetdieti.vde-uni-mannheim.de/

2007-05-22 11:30:27

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> i hit a problem with suspend to ram and especially resume.
> Hardware: Dell Latitude D810 (some Intel 915 with Intel Pentium M)
>
> With 2.6.19.7 suspend to ram works reliable, but with 2.6.20-rc4
> it stopped working reliable.
> I still can suspend, but after the first resume it goes back to sleep
> directly again, when resuming again it works.
> After the second suspend it won't resume at all.

Try with minimal modules. Try beeping patch to see if we reach linux
on second resume.

Andrew: I have debugging hack that beeps the speaker as the first
thing in acpi resume (real mode) routine. It provides some useful
info. Maybe it is even worth including in mainline?
Pavel

by Mark Lord

Christian Leber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i hit a problem with suspend to ram and especially resume.
> Hardware: Dell Latitude D810 (some Intel 915 with Intel Pentium M)
>
> With 2.6.19.7 suspend to ram works reliable, but with 2.6.20-rc4
> it stopped working reliable.
> I still can suspend, but after the first resume it goes back to sleep
> directly again, when resuming again it works.
> After the second suspend it won't resume at all.
>
> The problem is that i can't try out the kernel versions <rc4, because
> rc1, rc2 and rc3 doesn't boot at all, so git-bisect also won't help.
>
> Has somebody an idea what i could try out?
>
> (the distribution is in this case ubuntu feisty)

I had that problem here with Feisty on a Dell i9300 (and on a Dell i9400).
We fixed it by replacing the /etc/acpi/* scripts with my own script.

-ml