2007-06-08 07:42:55

by Chris Wright

Subject: [patch 00/54] 2.6.21-stable review

This is the start of the stable review cycle for the 2.6.21.5 release.
There are 54 patches in this series, all will be posted as a response
to this one. If anyone has any issues with these being applied, please
let us know. If anyone is a maintainer of the proper subsystem, and
wants to add a Signed-off-by: line to the patch, please respond with it.

These patches are sent out with a number of different people on the
Cc: line. If you wish to be a reviewer, please email [email protected]
to add your name to the list. If you want to be off the reviewer list,
also email us.

Anything received after that time might be too late.

thanks,

the -stable release team

by Chris Wright

Subject: Re: [stable] [patch 00/54] 2.6.21-stable review

* Chris Wright ([email protected]) wrote:
> This is the start of the stable review cycle for the 2.6.21.5 release.
> There are 54 patches in this series, all will be posted as a response

Roll-up patch available at:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/stable-review/patch-2.6.21.5-rc1.{gz,bz2}

thanks,
-chris

2007-06-08 17:29:38

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: [patch 00/54] 2.6.21-stable review

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 12:21:27AM -0700, Chris Wright wrote:
> This is the start of the stable review cycle for the 2.6.21.5 release.
> There are 54 patches in this series, all will be posted as a response
> to this one. If anyone has any issues with these being applied, please
> let us know. If anyone is a maintainer of the proper subsystem, and
> wants to add a Signed-off-by: line to the patch, please respond with it.
>
> These patches are sent out with a number of different people on the
> Cc: line. If you wish to be a reviewer, please email [email protected]
> to add your name to the list. If you want to be off the reviewer list,
> also email us.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to do more regular releases of -stable
so that the patchqueue doesn't build up so much. It's painful
to sit down and review lots of patches in one sitting.
Additionally, with lots of change, it's a real pain to figure out
"which one of the 50 patches that went into the last -stable
makes my machine not boot" (which I had to do recently).

Or maybe cc: the reviewer list when patches get added?

Or maybe both?

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

2007-06-08 17:34:19

by Greg KH

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 01:28:52PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 12:21:27AM -0700, Chris Wright wrote:
> > This is the start of the stable review cycle for the 2.6.21.5 release.
> > There are 54 patches in this series, all will be posted as a response
> > to this one. If anyone has any issues with these being applied, please
> > let us know. If anyone is a maintainer of the proper subsystem, and
> > wants to add a Signed-off-by: line to the patch, please respond with it.
> >
> > These patches are sent out with a number of different people on the
> > Cc: line. If you wish to be a reviewer, please email [email protected]
> > to add your name to the list. If you want to be off the reviewer list,
> > also email us.
>
> I'm wondering if it makes sense to do more regular releases of -stable
> so that the patchqueue doesn't build up so much. It's painful
> to sit down and review lots of patches in one sitting.
> Additionally, with lots of change, it's a real pain to figure out
> "which one of the 50 patches that went into the last -stable
> makes my machine not boot" (which I had to do recently).

It probably does. Unfortunately I've been traveling _way_ too much
lately and got behind on the patch queue. I'll try to remember to push
out a new release sooner, as it looks like the majority of my travel is
coming to an end (only 2 trips this month...)

thanks,

greg k-h

2007-06-08 17:34:37

by Greg KH

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 01:28:52PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> Or maybe cc: the reviewer list when patches get added?

Oh, we can easily do that as we have a script that notifys the submitter
that the patch has been added. If you all don't mind getting the noise,
I'd be glad to make that change.

thanks,

greg k-h

2007-06-08 17:47:00

by Chuck Ebbert

On 06/08/2007 01:34 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 01:28:52PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
>> Or maybe cc: the reviewer list when patches get added?
>
> Oh, we can easily do that as we have a script that notifys the submitter
> that the patch has been added. If you all don't mind getting the noise,
> I'd be glad to make that change.

To keep up to date all you need to do is pull the GIT tree regularly.
Maybe a mailing list for stable-commits could be added, like mm-commits?

2007-06-08 17:48:56

by Chris Wright

* Chuck Ebbert ([email protected]) wrote:
> Maybe a mailing list for stable-commits could be added, like mm-commits?

I was thinking the same thing.

thanks,
-chris

2007-06-08 18:09:25

by Greg KH

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 10:47:29AM -0700, Chris Wright wrote:
> * Chuck Ebbert ([email protected]) wrote:
> > Maybe a mailing list for stable-commits could be added, like mm-commits?
>
> I was thinking the same thing.

Good idea, we can just CC: that list when we commit a patch.

thanks,

greg k-h

2007-06-08 20:34:19

by Chris Wright

* Greg KH ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 10:47:29AM -0700, Chris Wright wrote:
> > * Chuck Ebbert ([email protected]) wrote:
> > > Maybe a mailing list for stable-commits could be added, like mm-commits?
> >
> > I was thinking the same thing.
>
> Good idea, we can just CC: that list when we commit a patch.

OK, [email protected] is set up and ready to roll.