2007-08-01 13:27:38

by Francis Moreau

Subject: Search for x86_64 documentation.

Hello,

I'm used to hack Linux on a ARM based board and would like to be
involved in x86_64 architecture but I don't know where I should
start...

Could anyone point out some nice documentations/books describing this
architecture ?

thanks
--
Francis

2007-08-01 14:20:07

by Rene Herman

Subject: Re: Search for x86_64 documentation.

On 08/01/2007 03:27 PM, Francis Moreau wrote:

> I'm used to hack Linux on a ARM based board and would like to be
> involved in x86_64 architecture but I don't know where I should
> start...
>
> Could anyone point out some nice documentations/books describing this
> architecture ?

First and foremost the AMD64 architecture documentation from AMD itself:

http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7044,00.html

Rene.

2007-08-01 14:29:40

by Peter Oruba

Francis,

this may be a good site to start with:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_739_7044,00.html

Regards,
Peter Oruba

--
AMD Saxony Limited Liability Company & Co. KG
Operating System Research Center

Attachments:
(No filename) (790.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part.

by Francis Moreau

Hello Rene,

On 8/1/07, Rene Herman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 08/01/2007 03:27 PM, Francis Moreau wrote:
>
> > I'm used to hack Linux on a ARM based board and would like to be
> > involved in x86_64 architecture but I don't know where I should
> > start...
> >
> > Could anyone point out some nice documentations/books describing this
> > architecture ?
>
> First and foremost the AMD64 architecture documentation from AMD itself:
>
> http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7044,00.html

Thank you for the pointer but I alread knew about them.

I was actually more interested in books which are more pleasant to
read than a raw datasheet. Something like "x86_64 arch for newbies" ;)

thanks
--
Francis

2007-08-01 15:42:16

by Rene Herman

On 08/01/2007 05:30 PM, Francis Moreau wrote:

>>> Could anyone point out some nice documentations/books describing this
>>> architecture ?
>>
>> First and foremost the AMD64 architecture documentation from AMD
>> itself:
>>
>> http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7044,00.html
>
> Thank you for the pointer but I alread knew about them.
>
> I was actually more interested in books which are more pleasant to
> read than a raw datasheet. Something like "x86_64 arch for newbies" ;)

Not aware of any -- but if you write one, I'll probably buy it ;-|

Rene.

2007-08-01 16:19:10

by Andi Kleen

"Francis Moreau" <[email protected]> writes:

> I was actually more interested in books which are more pleasant to
> read than a raw datasheet.

The first volumes of the Intel and AMD architecture manuals are far from "raw
datasheets". In fact they're quite well written as brief introduction
of x86 assuming you have some basic knowledge of assembly language concepts.

There might be better introductions for a total newbie but if you
already know another assembly language and other basic concepts
of computer architecture they should serve you very well.

-Andi

2007-08-02 07:36:17

by Sébastien Dugué

Hi Francis,

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 17:30:35 +0200 "Francis Moreau" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello Rene,
>
> On 8/1/07, Rene Herman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On 08/01/2007 03:27 PM, Francis Moreau wrote:
> >
> > > I'm used to hack Linux on a ARM based board and would like to be
> > > involved in x86_64 architecture but I don't know where I should
> > > start...
> > >
> > > Could anyone point out some nice documentations/books describing this
> > > architecture ?
> >
> > First and foremost the AMD64 architecture documentation from AMD itself:
> >
> > http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7044,00.html
> >

> Thank you for the pointer but I alread knew about them.
>
> I was actually more interested in books which are more pleasant to
> read than a raw datasheet. Something like "x86_64 arch for newbies" ;)

Then you may have a look at
http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2003_09_21_Detailed_Architecture_of_AMDs_64bit_Core.html

It's a bit more pleasant to read than the AMD or Intel programming manuals
but in the long run you will need those along with the accompanying erratas.

Sébastien.

2007-08-02 08:25:34

by Francis Moreau

Hello Andi,

On 01 Aug 2007 19:13:27 +0200, Andi Kleen <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Francis Moreau" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > I was actually more interested in books which are more pleasant to
> > read than a raw datasheet.
>
> The first volumes of the Intel and AMD architecture manuals are far from "raw
> datasheets". In fact they're quite well written as brief introduction
> of x86 assuming you have some basic knowledge of assembly language concepts.
>
> There might be better introductions for a total newbie but if you
> already know another assembly language and other basic concepts
> of computer architecture they should serve you very well.

Ah ok.

I had bad experience with this kind of documentation but I should have
taken a deeper look into them before asking.

thanks.
--
Francis

2007-08-02 08:26:47

by Francis Moreau

Hello Sebastien,

On 8/2/07, S?bastien Dugu? <[email protected]> wrote:

> Then you may have a look at
> http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2003_09_21_Detailed_Architecture_of_AMDs_64bit_Core.html
>
> It's a bit more pleasant to read than the AMD or Intel programming manuals
> but in the long run you will need those along with the accompanying erratas.

thanks for the pointer, it looks good !

--
Francis

2007-08-02 08:27:49

by Francis Moreau

> >> First and foremost the AMD64 architecture documentation from AMD
> >> itself:
> >>
> >> http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7044,00.html
> >
> > Thank you for the pointer but I alread knew about them.
> >
> > I was actually more interested in books which are more pleasant to
> > read than a raw datasheet. Something like "x86_64 arch for newbies" ;)
>
> Not aware of any -- but if you write one, I'll probably buy it ;-|

At the time I'll finish it, you will probably want to read
documentation for x86_512 arch ;)

--
Francis