2007-08-01 18:06:33

by Ash Willis

Subject: Re: CS5530 Alsa driver fails

>Hello,
>
>Linux: 2.6.23-rc1-git3
>Hardware: CX5530
>
>After "modprobe snd-cs5530" I have:
>CS5530: XpressAudio at 0x220
>CS5530: MPU at 0x330
>CS5530: IRQ: 9 DMA8: 0 DMA16: 5
>sb: can't grab irq 9
>CS5530: Could not create SoundBlaster
>CS5530_Audio: probe of 0000:00:12.3 failed with error -16
>Thank You
>Rafał
>
>~ $ cat /proc/interrupts
> CPU0
> 0: 26624 XT-PIC-XT timer
> 2: 0 XT-PIC-XT cascade
> 4: 428 XT-PIC-XT serial
> 8: 0 XT-PIC-XT rtc
> 9: 10793 XT-PIC-XT ohci_hcd:usb1
> 10: 1326 XT-PIC-XT eth0
>NMI: 0
>ERR: 0
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Rafał,
It seems that you're already using irq 9 for another device, and as Alan says
the cs5530 audio device doesn't seem to do irq sharing. It seems to me that you
need to go into your BIOS settings at startup and tell the device to use an irq
line that's not already in use by some other device. Can you please let me know
if this works?

The ALSA CS5530 driver is one that I ported from Alan's OSS Kahlua driver, so
there may be some things that I've missed. If the above advice doesn't work,
please confirm whether or not the device is functioning correctly in your
current set up with Alan's original OSS driver.

Thanks,

Ash

--
We've Got Your Name at http://www.mail.com!

by Rafał Bilski

> Hi Rafał,
> It seems that you're already using irq 9 for another device, and as Alan says
> the cs5530 audio device doesn't seem to do irq sharing. It seems to me that you
> need to go into your BIOS settings at startup and tell the device to use an irq
> line that's not already in use by some other device. Can you please let me know
> if this works?
Sorry, I should mention earlier that this is Wyse 3360SE. I don't know how to
enter BIOS (if there is any).
> The ALSA CS5530 driver is one that I ported from Alan's OSS Kahlua driver, so
> there may be some things that I've missed. If the above advice doesn't work,
> please confirm whether or not the device is functioning correctly in your
> current set up with Alan's original OSS driver.
I will give up. I didn't checked code earlier. This driver is using SMM. Probably
firmware isn't what it should be, or I have overwritten it when I was flashing
Linux. I see in datasheet that it isn't possible to write driver in other way.
Sadly sound card is generating SMI only.

> Thanks,
>
> Ash

Thank You
Rafał

Dowiedz sie, co naprawde podnieca kobiety. Wiecej wiesz, latwiej je
oczarujesz

>>>http://link.interia.pl/f1b17

2007-08-01 22:01:18

by Alan

> I will give up. I didn't checked code earlier. This driver is using SMM. Probably
> firmware isn't what it should be, or I have overwritten it when I was flashing
> Linux. I see in datasheet that it isn't possible to write driver in other way.
> Sadly sound card is generating SMI only.

The 5530 in native mode only generates SMI. I've always felt however that
if you make the buffers big enough you ought to be able to drive it off
the 1KHz timer tick by polling. Interesting project.

You btw won't have removed the SMM firmware or the box wouldn't boot. The
5530 uses SMM to emulate some of the most basic PC components including
the VGA video. If your box has VSA2 then VSA2 firmware has some kind of
hooks to allow a native sound driver to take over and to reroute the
interrupts without SB emulation. I don't have the docs for VSA2 but the
horribly big natsemi provided audio driver does show how to do it.

Alan

2007-08-02 16:18:52

by Rafał Bilski

> The 5530 in native mode only generates SMI. I've always felt however that
> if you make the buffers big enough you ought to be able to drive it off
> the 1KHz timer tick by polling. Interesting project.
Looks like somebody did it already. I will try it as soon as I can.
> You btw won't have removed the SMM firmware or the box wouldn't boot. The
> 5530 uses SMM to emulate some of the most basic PC components including
> the VGA video.
Hmm. I don't have VGA. Linux was always starting without VGA console. I had
to disable display (power off the DAC's) because of constant "Checking FLASH"
screen.

> Alan
Rafa?

Sprawdz
czy Ty i Twoj partner pasujecie do siebie emocjonalnie i seksualnie