2007-09-05 19:04:35

by Michael Kerrisk

Subject: O_CLOEXEC / MSG_CMSG_CLOEXEC documentation

Ulrich,

For man-pages-2.66, I have added the following documentation in
the open.2 man page for the new-in-2.6.23 O_CLOEXEC.

O_CLOEXEC (Since Linux 2.6.23)
Enable the close-on-exec flag for the new file
descriptor. This is useful in multithreaded programs
since using a separate fcntl(2) F_SETFD operation to
set the FD_CLOEXEC flag does not suffice to avoid race
conditions in multithreaded programs where one thread
opens a file descriptor at the same time as another
thread does a fork(2) plus execve(2).

For the recv.2 I added the analogous:

MSG_CMSG_CLOEXEC (recvmsg() only; since Linux 2.6.23)
Set the close-on-exec flag for the file descriptor
received via a Unix domain file descriptor using the
SCM_RIGHTS operation (described in unix(7)). This
flag is useful for the same reasons as the O_CLOEXEC
flag of open(2).

Please let me know if these changes are correct and complete.

Cheers,

Michael

[...]

--
Michael Kerrisk
maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

Want to help with man page maintenance? Grab the latest tarball at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages/
read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source files for 'FIXME'.

2007-09-06 11:34:31

by Ulrich Drepper

Subject: Re: O_CLOEXEC / MSG_CMSG_CLOEXEC documentation

On 9/5/07, Michael Kerrisk <[email protected]> wrote:
> O_CLOEXEC (Since Linux 2.6.23)
> Enable the close-on-exec flag for the new file
> descriptor. This is useful in multithreaded programs
> since using a separate fcntl(2) F_SETFD operation to
> set the FD_CLOEXEC flag does not suffice to avoid race
> conditions in multithreaded programs where one thread
> opens a file descriptor at the same time as another
> thread does a fork(2) plus execve(2).

Correct, although you might want to reconsider the repetition of "in
multithreaded programs".

Plus, it's also useful in other programs since it avoids the
additional system call to fcntl.

2007-09-06 13:39:26

by Michael Kerrisk

Ulrich,

> On 9/5/07, Michael Kerrisk <[email protected]> wrote:
> > O_CLOEXEC (Since Linux 2.6.23)
> > Enable the close-on-exec flag for the new file
> > descriptor. This is useful in multithreaded programs
> > since using a separate fcntl(2) F_SETFD operation to
> > set the FD_CLOEXEC flag does not suffice to avoid race
> > conditions in multithreaded programs where one thread
> > opens a file descriptor at the same time as another
> > thread does a fork(2) plus execve(2).
>
> Correct,

Good. Thanks.

> although you might want to reconsider the repetition of "in
> multithreaded programs".

Yes.

> Plus, it's also useful in other programs since it avoids the
> additional system call to fcntl.

Okay, I may add some words about this.

Cheers,

Michael