2007-09-27 09:25:49

by Martin Michlmayr

Subject: Updating include/asm symlink when $ARCH changes

I cross compile arm and mips kernels from the same kernel tree. When
I build a kernel the first time with a fresh kernel tree, the
include/asm symlink is set properly. However, when I compile for a
different $ARCH, the include/asm is not changed and the build fails.

Would it be possible for the build system to update the include/asm
symlink when it doesn't correspond to the architecture you're
currently trying to build for?
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

2007-09-27 10:09:01

by Alexey Dobriyan

On 9/27/07, Martin Michlmayr <[email protected]> wrote:
> I cross compile arm and mips kernels from the same kernel tree.

You can use O= feature and skip this issue completely.

make ARCH=mips O=../build/mips ...
make ARCH=arm O=../build/arm ...

> When
> I build a kernel the first time with a fresh kernel tree, the
> include/asm symlink is set properly. However, when I compile for a
> different $ARCH, the include/asm is not changed and the build fails.
>
> Would it be possible for the build system to update the include/asm
> symlink when it doesn't correspond to the architecture you're
> currently trying to build for?

2007-09-27 11:29:00

by Sam Ravnborg

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 11:25:21AM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> I cross compile arm and mips kernels from the same kernel tree. When
> I build a kernel the first time with a fresh kernel tree, the
> include/asm symlink is set properly. However, when I compile for a
> different $ARCH, the include/asm is not changed and the build fails.
>
> Would it be possible for the build system to update the include/asm
> symlink when it doesn't correspond to the architecture you're
> currently trying to build for?

You are not the first to ask for this - suprise.
Alexey point out a good solution but I have added to my tod list
to do something a bit more intelligent when ARCH changes.

The patches I have seen so far has been lacking fundamental functionality
and on top of this I hope to find a nice way to preserve CROSSCOMPILE
since that often change too.

Sam