2007-10-26 01:38:11

by CSights

Subject: cannot "hibernate" if program being debugged in gdb is paused after SIGABRT in linux 2.6.23 (but can in 2.6.22.7)

Hi LKML,
My computer running kernel 2.6.23 does not "hibernate" (suspend to disk using
the kernel's methods) with a program (named stringTest) running in gdb, but
has received a SIGABRT.
The hibernate is successful when running kernel 2.6.22.7 !

Here is the message from gdb:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
what(): basic_string::substr

0xb7fb6410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()

And the attached file is the portion of /var/log/syslog when the hibernate was
attempted.

Let me know if there is anything else to send,
C.

Attachments:
(No filename) (603.00 B)
attemptsuspend2disk-2 (37.39 kB)

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Friday, 26 October 2007 03:03, CSights wrote:
> Hi LKML,
> My computer running kernel 2.6.23 does not "hibernate" (suspend to disk using
> the kernel's methods) with a program (named stringTest) running in gdb, but
> has received a SIGABRT.
> The hibernate is successful when running kernel 2.6.22.7 !

Certainly one of the freezer changes in 2.6.23 has caused that to happen ...

> Here is the message from gdb:
>
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
> what(): basic_string::substr
>
> Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
> 0xb7fb6410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
>
> And the attached file is the portion of /var/log/syslog when the hibernate was
> attempted.
>
> Let me know if there is anything else to send,

Well, a test program that triggers the SIGABRT under gdb would be useful.

Greetings,
Rafael

2007-10-28 15:36:18

by CSights

> Well, a test program that triggers the SIGABRT under gdb would be useful.

The attached program causes a SIGABRT for me,

Thanks,
C.

Attachments:
(No filename) (138.00 B)
main.cpp (161.00 B)

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Sunday, 28 October 2007 16:33, C Sights wrote:

> > Well, a test program that triggers the SIGABRT under gdb would be useful.
>
> The attached program causes a SIGABRT for me,
>
> Thanks,
> C.

Thanks, I'll try to reproduce the problem here and fix it.

Greetings,
Rafael

2007-10-30 14:56:57

by CSights

> Thanks, I'll try to reproduce the problem here and fix it.

No really, thank you!
C.

2007-11-08 22:33:47

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Tuesday, 30 of October 2007, CSights wrote:

> > Thanks, I'll try to reproduce the problem here and fix it.
>
> No really, thank you!

Sorry for the long delay.

Can you please check if you are able to reproduce the problem with 2.6.24-rc2?

Thanks,
Rafael

2007-11-10 19:53:47

by CSights

Hi Rafael,

> Can you please check if you are able to reproduce the problem with
> 2.6.24-rc2?

I am not able to reproduce the problem with 2.6.24-rc2. I am able to suspend
to disk successfully.

Thank for the prompt fix! :)
C.