2007-11-06 01:42:49

by Zurk Tech

Subject: Truecrypt in kernel ?

i was trying to move my truecrypt container from my xp box to my
debian etch box.
on windows xp its just double click to mount it, no need to even
install with the portable option.
on linux i had to download the source of the kernel, compile it, add
the truecrypt module, reboot and then mount it.
just wondering why the truecrypt module isnt in the mainline kernel ?
its the only cross platform encrypted disk solution out there and it
should be less of a chore to use it in linux...is there something
wrong with the truecrypt kernel driver ?

2007-11-06 07:49:24

by Michal Schmidt

Subject: Re: Truecrypt in kernel ?

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 20:42:39 -0500
"Zurk Tech" <[email protected]> wrote:
> just wondering why the truecrypt module isnt in the mainline kernel ?
> its the only cross platform encrypted disk solution out there and it
> should be less of a chore to use it in linux...is there something
> wrong with the truecrypt kernel driver ?

Two reasons:
The author hasn't sent patches.
It looks to me the license is incompatible with the GPLv2.

Michal

2007-11-06 13:04:34

by Zurk Tech

aka author is being an idiot. *sigh*
-z-

On 11/6/07, Michal Schmidt <[email protected]> wrote:

> Two reasons:
> The author hasn't sent patches.
> It looks to me the license is incompatible with the GPLv2.
>
> Michal

2007-11-06 13:08:44

by Clemens Koller

Michal Schmidt schrieb:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 20:42:39 -0500
> "Zurk Tech" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> just wondering why the truecrypt module isnt in the mainline kernel ?
>> its the only cross platform encrypted disk solution out there and it
>> should be less of a chore to use it in linux...is there something
>> wrong with the truecrypt kernel driver ?
>
> Two reasons:
> The author hasn't sent patches.
> It looks to me the license is incompatible with the GPLv2.

Just FYI:

http://www.truecrypt.org/license.php

Regards,
Clemens Koller
__________________________________
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Stra?e 45/1
Linhof Werksgel?nde
D-81379 M?nchen
Tel.089-741518-50
Fax 089-741518-19
http://www.anagramm-technology.com

2007-11-06 14:56:50

by Arnd Hannemann

Hi,

Zurk Tech schrieb:
> i was trying to move my truecrypt container from my xp box to my
> debian etch box.
> on windows xp its just double click to mount it, no need to even
> install with the portable option.
> on linux i had to download the source of the kernel, compile it, add
> the truecrypt module, reboot and then mount it.
> just wondering why the truecrypt module isnt in the mainline kernel ?
> its the only cross platform encrypted disk solution out there and it
> should be less of a chore to use it in linux...is there something
> wrong with the truecrypt kernel driver ?

Its not the only cross platform solution: You could use LUKS[1] on linux
and FreeOTFE[2] on win platform. With modern linux distributions LUKS is
very easy to use.

[1] http://luks.endorphin.org
[2] http://www.freeotfe.org

Best regards, Arnd