2007-11-19 22:46:18

by David Miller

Subject: linux-usb-devel@vger created...

Because sourceforge just farted another bounce at me
because someone CC:'d the sourceforge linux-usb-devel
list on a thread I was a part of, I've created:

[email protected]

so we don't need to have a subscriber-only-posting
mailing list for USB stuff.

2007-11-19 23:01:18

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: linux-usb-devel@vger created...

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 02:46:09PM -0800, David Miller wrote:

> Because sourceforge just farted another bounce at me
> because someone CC:'d the sourceforge linux-usb-devel
> list on a thread I was a part of, I've created:
>
> [email protected]
>
> so we don't need to have a subscriber-only-posting
> mailing list for USB stuff.

Woah, the [email protected] list is NOT a subscriber-only list at
all. It's wide open with a bunch of mailman rule filter to try to
handle the worst of the spam.

It does complain if you try to add too many cc:s to it, but that's it,
an admin (me or Stephen) will usually get around to aproving them within
24 hours.

But, I have no objection to moving to vger if you want to handle the
admin load. If so, should I send you a list of addresses that were on
the sf.net list so that people can be migrated?

thanks,

greg k-h

2007-11-20 00:18:07

by David Miller

From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:54:55 -0800

> Woah, the [email protected] list is NOT a subscriber-only list at
> all. It's wide open with a bunch of mailman rule filter to try to
> handle the worst of the spam.
>
> It does complain if you try to add too many cc:s to it, but that's it,
> an admin (me or Stephen) will usually get around to aproving them within
> 24 hours.

Ok, I stand corrected.

> But, I have no objection to moving to vger if you want to handle the
> admin load. If so, should I send you a list of addresses that were on
> the sf.net list so that people can be migrated?

We don't do migrations like that, so that people:

1) Learn how to subscribe, and thus how to unsubscribe.

2) Don't get upset that they were added to a mailing list
site they may not want to be one.

So I'd ask that you send an announcement out to the old list,
and during a transition period you can subscribe the old
list onto the vger one.

Neil B. did something similar recently for linux-nfs, perhaps
you can ask him how he handled it.

2007-11-20 01:33:52

by Kay Sievers

On Nov 20, 2007 1:17 AM, David Miller <[email protected]> wrote:
> From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:54:55 -0800
>
> > Woah, the [email protected] list is NOT a subscriber-only list at
> > all. It's wide open with a bunch of mailman rule filter to try to
> > handle the worst of the spam.
> >
> > It does complain if you try to add too many cc:s to it, but that's it,
> > an admin (me or Stephen) will usually get around to aproving them within
> > 24 hours.
>
> Ok, I stand corrected.
>
> > But, I have no objection to moving to vger if you want to handle the
> > admin load. If so, should I send you a list of addresses that were on
> > the sf.net list so that people can be migrated?
>
> We don't do migrations like that, so that people:
>
> 1) Learn how to subscribe, and thus how to unsubscribe.
>
> 2) Don't get upset that they were added to a mailing list
> site they may not want to be one.
>
> So I'd ask that you send an announcement out to the old list,
> and during a transition period you can subscribe the old
> list onto the vger one.
>
> Neil B. did something similar recently for linux-nfs, perhaps
> you can ask him how he handled it.

Sounds all good. If that migration works well, please let us do the
same for hotplug.

Kay

2007-11-20 02:12:51

by David Miller

From: "Kay Sievers" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 02:33:43 +0100

> Sounds all good. If that migration works well, please let us do the
> same for hotplug.

Tell me what you'd like the list at vger to be named and I can
create it now.

THanks.

2007-11-20 02:21:33

by Greg KH

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 04:17:55PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:54:55 -0800
>
> > Woah, the [email protected] list is NOT a subscriber-only list at
> > all. It's wide open with a bunch of mailman rule filter to try to
> > handle the worst of the spam.
> >
> > It does complain if you try to add too many cc:s to it, but that's it,
> > an admin (me or Stephen) will usually get around to aproving them within
> > 24 hours.
>
> Ok, I stand corrected.
>
> > But, I have no objection to moving to vger if you want to handle the
> > admin load. If so, should I send you a list of addresses that were on
> > the sf.net list so that people can be migrated?
>
> We don't do migrations like that, so that people:
>
> 1) Learn how to subscribe, and thus how to unsubscribe.
>
> 2) Don't get upset that they were added to a mailing list
> site they may not want to be one.
>
> So I'd ask that you send an announcement out to the old list,
> and during a transition period you can subscribe the old
> list onto the vger one.

Ok, I'll do that, it will be nice to move away from the sf.net lists,
thanks for offering this for us.

greg k-h

2007-11-20 02:28:39

by Greg KH

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 05:55:54PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: "Kay Sievers" <[email protected]>
> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 02:33:43 +0100
>
> > Sounds all good. If that migration works well, please let us do the
> > same for hotplug.
>
> Tell me what you'd like the list at vger to be named and I can
> create it now.

[email protected] would be great to have. If so, I can
migrate yet-another list there :)

thanks again,

greg k-h

2007-11-20 03:08:48

by Greg KH

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 02:46:09PM -0800, David Miller wrote:

> Because sourceforge just farted another bounce at me
> because someone CC:'d the sourceforge linux-usb-devel
> list on a thread I was a part of, I've created:
>
> [email protected]
>
> so we don't need to have a subscriber-only-posting
> mailing list for USB stuff.

Actually, if we are going to stick with this new list, can we just call
it "[email protected]" instead of the "-devel" stuff? The
traffic on our -users list over the years has been pretty trivial, with
much of it just posted to the wrong list to start with.

Combining the two lists would be good for everyone involved.

So, if it's not too late, the name change would be great. If you just
want to delete the 'linux-usb-devel' list and create a new one to do
this properly, that's also fine with me.

thanks,

greg k-h

2007-11-20 03:13:43

by David Miller

From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:12:32 -0800

> Actually, if we are going to stick with this new list, can we just call
> it "[email protected]" instead of the "-devel" stuff?

Done.

2007-11-20 03:14:34

by David Miller

From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:29:15 -0800

> [email protected] would be great to have.

Created, enjoy.

2007-11-20 03:26:18

by David Brownell

On Monday 19 November 2007, David Miller wrote:
> From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:12:32 -0800
>
> > Actually, if we are going to stick with this new list, can we just call
> > it "[email protected]" instead of the "-devel" stuff?
>
> Done.

Subscribe/unsubscribe ... how?

2007-11-20 03:28:44

by Ismail Dönmez

Tuesday 20 November 2007 Tarihinde 05:26:02 yazmıştınız:
> On Monday 19 November 2007, David Miller wrote:
> > From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
> > Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:12:32 -0800
> >
> > > Actually, if we are going to stick with this new list, can we just call
> > > it "[email protected]" instead of the "-devel" stuff?
> >
> > Done.
>
> Subscribe/unsubscribe ... how?

Faith is believing what you know isn't so -- Mark Twain

2007-11-20 04:04:06

by David Miller

> On Monday 19 November 2007, David Miller wrote:
> > From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
> > Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:12:32 -0800
> >
> > > Actually, if we are going to stick with this new list, can we just call
> > > it "[email protected]" instead of the "-devel" stuff?
> >
> > Done.
>
> Subscribe/unsubscribe ... how?

Just like any other list at vger.kernel.org:

or the quick&easy version:

bash$ echo "subscribe linux-usb" | mail [email protected]

2007-11-20 04:41:50

by Alexander E. Patrakov

David Miller wrote:
> From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:29:15 -0800
>
>> [email protected] would be great to have.
>
> Created, enjoy.

It would be nice to have the archives of this list and the nntp interface on gmane.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

2007-11-20 04:59:40

by Greg KH

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 07:13:34PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:12:32 -0800
>
> > Actually, if we are going to stick with this new list, can we just call
> > it "[email protected]" instead of the "-devel" stuff?
>
> Done.

Great, thanks so much for this.

greg k-h

2007-11-20 05:00:58

by Greg KH

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:41:31AM +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> David Miller wrote:
>> From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
>> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:29:15 -0800
>>> [email protected] would be great to have.
>> Created, enjoy.
>
> It would be nice to have the archives of this list and the nntp interface
> on gmane.

I'm sure they will migrate once I post the information to the lists themselves :)

thanks,

greg k-h