2008-01-10 08:52:06

by Nick Warne

Subject: Driver 'sd' needs updating

Hi everybody - Happy New Year to you all!

OK, updated to git rc7 yesterday - I now see this in syslog:

"Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods"

The warning never appeared in RC6, and all google reveals are other
peoples logs that are posted about other issues.

Do I need to fix up something here?

Thanks,

Nick
--
Free Software Foundation Associate Member 5508

2008-01-10 11:39:20

by FUJITA Tomonori

Subject: Re: Driver 'sd' needs updating

CC'ed linux-scsi and James,

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:51:50 +0000
Nick Warne <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi everybody - Happy New Year to you all!
>
> OK, updated to git rc7 yesterday - I now see this in syslog:
>
> "Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods"
>
> The warning never appeared in RC6, and all google reveals are other
> peoples logs that are posted about other issues.
>
> Do I need to fix up something here?

No, you don't. It's harmless, a side effect of:

commit 751bf4d7865e4ced406be93b04c7436d866d3684
Author: James Bottomley <[email protected]>
Date: Wed Jan 2 11:14:30 2008 -0600

[SCSI] scsi_sysfs: restore prep_fn when ULD is removed

It would be better to silence this warning.

James, we need to reset prep_fn in each ULD? though it's not nice...

2008-01-10 17:41:32

by Nick Warne

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:38:45 +0900
FUJITA Tomonori <[email protected]> wrote:

> > "Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods"
> >
> > The warning never appeared in RC6, and all google reveals are other
> > peoples logs that are posted about other issues.
> >
> > Do I need to fix up something here?
>
> No, you don't. It's harmless, a side effect of:
>
> commit 751bf4d7865e4ced406be93b04c7436d866d3684
> Author: James Bottomley <[email protected]>
> Date: Wed Jan 2 11:14:30 2008 -0600
>
> [SCSI] scsi_sysfs: restore prep_fn when ULD is removed

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarification.

Nick
--
Free Software Foundation Associate Member 5508

2008-01-10 18:27:37

by James Bottomley

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 20:38 +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> CC'ed linux-scsi and James,
>
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:51:50 +0000
> Nick Warne <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Hi everybody - Happy New Year to you all!
> >
> > OK, updated to git rc7 yesterday - I now see this in syslog:
> >
> > "Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods"
> >
> > The warning never appeared in RC6, and all google reveals are other
> > peoples logs that are posted about other issues.
> >
> > Do I need to fix up something here?
>
> No, you don't. It's harmless, a side effect of:
>
> commit 751bf4d7865e4ced406be93b04c7436d866d3684
> Author: James Bottomley <[email protected]>
> Date: Wed Jan 2 11:14:30 2008 -0600
>
> [SCSI] scsi_sysfs: restore prep_fn when ULD is removed
>

> It would be better to silence this warning.
>
> James, we need to reset prep_fn in each ULD? though it's not nice...

Really not nice ... to the extent that we shouldn't do it. The reset is
in exactly the correct place currently. If we make it a requirement of
the ULDs its duplication and someone is bound to forget.

It looks like the problem is the warning in
base/driver.c:driver_register() apparently it wants an either/or for
->remove methods (either bus type or driver). We're actually using the
bus_type methods, but we also have a driver component, sigh. I suppose
what it's wanting is for me to add a scsi_driver type with remove
methods ... which looks a bit silly since all of the SCSI drivers want
different remove methods.

James

2008-01-10 18:52:18

by Nick Warne

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:27:22 -0600
James Bottomley <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > OK, updated to git rc7 yesterday - I now see this in syslog:
>
> "Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods"
>
> > > Do I need to fix up something here?
> >
> > No, you don't. It's harmless, a side effect of:
> >
> > commit 751bf4d7865e4ced406be93b04c7436d866d3684
> > Author: James Bottomley <[email protected]>
> > Date: Wed Jan 2 11:14:30 2008 -0600
> >
> > [SCSI] scsi_sysfs: restore prep_fn when ULD is removed
> >

> > It would be better to silence this warning.
> >
> > James, we need to reset prep_fn in each ULD? though it's not nice...
>
> Really not nice ... to the extent that we shouldn't do it. The reset
> is in exactly the correct place currently. If we make it a
> requirement of the ULDs its duplication and someone is bound to
> forget.
>
> It looks like the problem is the warning in
> base/driver.c:driver_register() apparently it wants an either/or for
> ->remove methods (either bus type or driver). We're actually using
> the bus_type methods, but we also have a driver component, sigh. I
> suppose what it's wanting is for me to add a scsi_driver type with
> remove methods ... which looks a bit silly since all of the SCSI
> drivers want different remove methods.

OK, actually, this is wierd for me now. Is this warning ONLY generated
on modules?

I build with no modules, but do have modules enabled due to nVidia. I
did post about a module called 'scsi_wait' being built, even though I
didn't want it/need it but can't stop it - please refer:

http://marc.info/?t=119705493500007&r=1&w=2

If this is true, what I have now is a module being built I don't
want/need and can't stop it being built, and a warning about it not
using bus_type methods anyway.

Nick
--
Free Software Foundation Associate Member 5508