2008-01-22 13:55:28

by Sudhir Kumar

Subject: 2.6.24-rc8-mm1 Kernel BUG while bootup

Hi Andrew,

I found a Bug at the very start of booting rc8-mm1 kernel on my machine.
Following is the info of my machine:
uname -a
Linux x330d.in.ibm.com 2.6.24-rc6 #3 SMP Tue Jan 15 17:24:05 NPT 2008
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Since I could capture a jpeg image of the boot message so I have put
it at

http://imsudhirkumar.googlepages.com/home

The config file is attached for further iinvestigation.

Regards,

Sudhir Kumar
ISTL IBM
India

Attachments:
(No filename) (443.00 B)
config (40.10 kB)

by Ingo Molnar

Subject: Re: 2.6.24-rc8-mm1 Kernel BUG while bootup

* Sudhir Kumar <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I found a Bug at the very start of booting rc8-mm1 kernel on my
> machine. Following is the info of my machine: uname -a Linux
> x330d.in.ibm.com 2.6.24-rc6 #3 SMP Tue Jan 15 17:24:05 NPT 2008 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Since I could capture a jpeg image of the boot message so I have put
> it at
>
> http://imsudhirkumar.googlepages.com/home

i think this is an early bootup crash that has been resolved in x86.git.

Ingo

2008-01-28 14:54:33

by Sudhir Kumar

I applied all the hot fixes patches but still the bug is there.
(crash at early boot).

As I replied your earlier mail in which the patch sent by you
does not apply (reverse).
can you please look into the problem ?

Thanks
Sudhir

> * Sudhir Kumar <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > I found a Bug at the very start of booting rc8-mm1 kernel on my
> > machine. Following is the info of my machine: uname -a Linux
> > x330d.in.ibm.com 2.6.24-rc6 #3 SMP Tue Jan 15 17:24:05 NPT 2008 i686
> > i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> >
> > Since I could capture a jpeg image of the boot message so I have put
> > it at
> >
> > http://imsudhirkumar.googlepages.com/home
>
> i think this is an early bootup crash that has been resolved in x86.git.
>
> Ingo

2008-01-28 15:13:28

by Ingo Molnar

* Sudhir Kumar <[email protected]> wrote:

> I applied all the hot fixes patches but still the bug is there. (crash
> at early boot).
>
> As I replied your earlier mail in which the patch sent by you does not
> apply (reverse). can you please look into the problem ?

could you test latest x86.git:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/x86.git/README

does that crash too?

Ingo

2008-01-31 13:59:52

by Sudhir Kumar

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 04:13:00PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Sudhir Kumar <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I applied all the hot fixes patches but still the bug is there. (crash
> > at early boot).
> >
> > As I replied your earlier mail in which the patch sent by you does not
> > apply (reverse). can you please look into the problem ?
>
> could you test latest x86.git:
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/x86.git/README
>
> does that crash too?

Sorry , unable to do that as the instrunctions at above location
do not work.
Something else I can try ?

> Ingo

2008-02-01 14:13:25

by Ingo Molnar

* Sudhir Kumar <[email protected]> wrote:

> > http://redhat.com/~mingo/x86.git/README
> >
> > does that crash too?
>
> Sorry , unable to do that as the instrunctions at above location do
> not work. Something else I can try ?

hm, those instructions work fine here, if i do them anew. It ends
with:

earth4:~/tmp/linux.trees.git> git-checkout x86/mm
warning: You appear to be on a branch yet to be born.
warning: Forcing checkout of x86/mm.
HEAD is now at 063f7f2... kgdb: cleanups

i've got git-core-1.5.3.8-1.fc8.

Ingo