2008-02-01 18:43:10

by Gerhard Pircher

Subject: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

Hi!

I'm trying to get the 2.6.24 Linux kernel booting on my AmigaOne machine
(it's a desktop PowerPC G4 machine with 1.5GB RAM). I have written the
device tree and platform setup files for arch/powerpc, which seem to be
working so far.
Kernel version 2.6.24-rc2 was booting fine with my patches until the
kernel executes the INIT command. But kernel release v2.6.24 dies early
during the boot process (even before the radeonfb driver initializes and
outputs kernel messages). Bisecting revealed that this commit causes my
machine to fail booting:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=44048d700bcbfaf4bcca6e2e0a73d89d01ec0878
(Revert "Bias the placement of kernel pages at lower PFNs")

The machine boots fine, if I revert the patch. But I wonder what side
effects this patch may have? Can somebody shed some light on this?

Thanks!

regards,

Gerhard

BTW: Please put me on CC: as I'm not subscribed to this list.

by Mel Gorman

On (01/02/08 19:42), Gerhard Pircher didst pronounce:

> I'm trying to get the 2.6.24 Linux kernel booting on my AmigaOne machine
> (it's a desktop PowerPC G4 machine with 1.5GB RAM). I have written the
> device tree and platform setup files for arch/powerpc, which seem to be
> working so far.
> Kernel version 2.6.24-rc2 was booting fine with my patches until the
> kernel executes the INIT command. But kernel release v2.6.24 dies early
> during the boot process (even before the radeonfb driver initializes and
> outputs kernel messages). Bisecting revealed that this commit causes my
> machine to fail booting:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=44048d700bcbfaf4bcca6e2e0a73d89d01ec0878
> (Revert "Bias the placement of kernel pages at lower PFNs")
>
> The machine boots fine, if I revert the patch. But I wonder what side
> effects this patch may have? Can somebody shed some light on this?

With this patch, early boot would use pages from lower PFNs. Without the
patch, it would use memory from higher PFNs. That is the only real
difference.

1. Is there any chance that all of your memory is not being properly
initialised?
2. Any chance of seeing a dmesg log?
3. If you boot with the patch reverted and then do something to consume
all memory like build loads of kernel trees simultaneously, do you see
any problems?

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center

2008-02-01 20:05:29

by Gerhard Pircher

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:11:19 +0000
> Von: Mel Gorman <[email protected]>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <[email protected]>
> CC: [email protected]
> Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

> With this patch, early boot would use pages from lower PFNs. Without the
> patch, it would use memory from higher PFNs. That is the only real
> difference.
>
> 1. Is there any chance that all of your memory is not being properly
> initialised?
Do you mean uninitialized hardware? That shouldn't be a problem, since
older kernels (e.g. 2.6.19 with platform patches for arch/ppc) are running
fine.

> 2. Any chance of seeing a dmesg log?
That's a little bit of a problem. The kernel log in memory doesn't show
any kernel oops, but is also fragmented (small fragments seem to have been
overwritten with 0x0). I could extract it by using the U-boot firmware,
but that takes some time, as the serial console is not yet working.
I tried to boot the kernel with 512MB and 1.5GB RAM. The amount of memory
doesn't have any effect and the amount of memory is reported correctly
in the kernel log.

> 3. If you boot with the patch reverted and then do something to consume
> all memory like build loads of kernel trees simultaneously, do you see
> any problems?
Well, I can't answer this question. The kernel currently locks up when
bisect it) and doesn't seem to be related to this problem.

Thanks for your help!

Gerhard

by Mel Gorman

On (01/02/08 21:05), Gerhard Pircher didst pronounce:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:11:19 +0000
> > Von: Mel Gorman <[email protected]>
> > An: Gerhard Pircher <[email protected]>
> > CC: [email protected]
> > Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine
>
> > With this patch, early boot would use pages from lower PFNs. Without the
> > patch, it would use memory from higher PFNs. That is the only real
> > difference.
> >
> > 1. Is there any chance that all of your memory is not being properly
> > initialised?
> Do you mean uninitialized hardware? That shouldn't be a problem, since
> older kernels (e.g. 2.6.19 with platform patches for arch/ppc) are running
> fine.

I meant uninitialised memory but I also wonder could something like this
happen if you are trying to use memory that doesn't exist. i.e. you are
trying to access more memory than you really have but you indicate later
that this is not the case.

> > 2. Any chance of seeing a dmesg log?
> That's a little bit of a problem. The kernel log in memory doesn't show
> any kernel oops, but is also fragmented (small fragments seem to have been
> overwritten with 0x0).

err, that doesn't sound very healthy.

> I could extract it by using the U-boot firmware,
> but that takes some time, as the serial console is not yet working.
> I tried to boot the kernel with 512MB and 1.5GB RAM. The amount of memory
> doesn't have any effect and the amount of memory is reported correctly
> in the kernel log.
>
> > 3. If you boot with the patch reverted and then do something to consume
> > all memory like build loads of kernel trees simultaneously, do you see
> > any problems?
> Well, I can't answer this question. The kernel currently locks up when
> bisect it) and doesn't seem to be related to this problem.

INIT would be the first MOVABLE allocation so it would be using memory
at the end of the physical adddress range. i.e. the crash happens when
memory towards the end and the only difference between the patch applied
and reverted is when it happens.

Could you try booting with 16MB less memory using mem=?

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center
University of Limerick IBM Dublin Software Lab

2008-02-01 21:07:10

by Gerhard Pircher

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:25:18 +0000
> Von: Mel Gorman <[email protected]>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <[email protected]>
> CC: [email protected]
> Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

> I meant uninitialised memory but I also wonder could something like this
> happen if you are trying to use memory that doesn't exist. i.e. you are
> trying to access more memory than you really have but you indicate later
> that this is not the case.
Good question. The memory is in the physical address range from 0x00000000
to 0x60000000 (1536MB).

> > > 2. Any chance of seeing a dmesg log?
> > That's a little bit of a problem. The kernel log in memory doesn't show
> > any kernel oops, but is also fragmented (small fragments seem to have
> > been overwritten with 0x0).
>
> err, that doesn't sound very healthy.
Yeah, I know. But the platform code hasn't changed much when porting it
from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc. That's why I'm a little bit lost in this
case. :-)

> > Well, I can't answer this question. The kernel currently locks up when
> > bisect it) and doesn't seem to be related to this problem.
>
> INIT would be the first MOVABLE allocation so it would be using memory
> at the end of the physical adddress range. i.e. the crash happens when
> memory towards the end and the only difference between the patch applied
> and reverted is when it happens.
Oh, that sounds interesting!

> Could you try booting with 16MB less memory using mem=?
I started the kernel with 512MB RAM (mem=496) and 1.5GB (mem=1520). The
kernel oopes in both cases with a "Unable to handle kernel paging request
for data address 0xbffff000", followed by a "Oops: kernel access of bad
area, sig 11" message. The end of the stack trace shows the start_here()
function.
I'm not a PowerPC expert, but if 0xbffff000 is a virtual address, then
it would be in the user program address space, right? If it is a physical
address, then it is somewhere in the unallocated PCI address space.

Gerhard

by Mel Gorman

On (01/02/08 22:06), Gerhard Pircher didst pronounce:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:25:18 +0000
> > Von: Mel Gorman <[email protected]>
> > An: Gerhard Pircher <[email protected]>
> > CC: [email protected]
> > Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine
>
> > I meant uninitialised memory but I also wonder could something like this
> > happen if you are trying to use memory that doesn't exist. i.e. you are
> > trying to access more memory than you really have but you indicate later
> > that this is not the case.
>
> Good question. The memory is in the physical address range from 0x00000000
> to 0x60000000 (1536MB).

> > > That's a little bit of a problem. The kernel log in memory doesn't show
> > > any kernel oops, but is also fragmented (small fragments seem to have
> > > been overwritten with 0x0).
> >
> > err, that doesn't sound very healthy.
>
> Yeah, I know. But the platform code hasn't changed much when porting it
> from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc. That's why I'm a little bit lost in this
> case. :-)

I'm at a bit of a loss to guess what might have changed in powerpc code
that would explain this. I've added the linuxppc-dev mailing list in
case they can make a guess.

I think you are also going to need to start bisecting searching
specifically for the patch that causes these overwrites.

> > > Well, I can't answer this question. The kernel currently locks up when
> > > bisect it) and doesn't seem to be related to this problem.
> >
> > INIT would be the first MOVABLE allocation so it would be using memory
> > at the end of the physical adddress range. i.e. the crash happens when
> > memory towards the end and the only difference between the patch applied
> > and reverted is when it happens.
> Oh, that sounds interesting!
>
> > Could you try booting with 16MB less memory using mem=?
> I started the kernel with 512MB RAM (mem=496) and 1.5GB (mem=1520). The
> kernel oopes in both cases with a "Unable to handle kernel paging request
> for data address 0xbffff000", followed by a "Oops: kernel access of bad
> area, sig 11" message. The end of the stack trace shows the start_here()
> function.
> I'm not a PowerPC expert, but if 0xbffff000 is a virtual address, then
> it would be in the user program address space, right? If it is a physical
> address, then it is somewhere in the unallocated PCI address space.

It's a virtual address so it depends on the value of CONFIG_KERNEL_START
as to whether this is a user program address or not.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center
University of Limerick IBM Dublin Software Lab

2008-02-04 22:20:58

by Gerhard Pircher

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:42:32 +0000
> Von: Mel Gorman <[email protected]>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <[email protected]>
> CC: [email protected], [email protected]
> Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

> > > err, that doesn't sound very healthy.
> >
> > Yeah, I know. But the platform code hasn't changed much when porting it
> > from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc. That's why I'm a little bit lost in this
> > case. :-)
> >

> I'm at a bit of a loss to guess what might have changed in powerpc code
> that would explain this. I've added the linuxppc-dev mailing list in
> case they can make a guess.
Yes, I'll try to get some comments on the linuxppc-dev mailing list.

> I think you are also going to need to start bisecting searching
> specifically for the patch that causes these overwrites.
I think I had a similar problem with kernel v2.6.23, too and therefore
waited for kernel 2.6.24. So the problem may exist since a long time.

> It's a virtual address so it depends on the value of CONFIG_KERNEL_START
> as to whether this is a user program address or not.
AFAIK start_kernel() is called very early in the boot process, were no
user or kernel thread is active. I also wonder why the kernel crashes when
the mem boot option is used. Let's see what the linuxppc-dev people say.

Thanks for your help!

Gerhard

--
Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger geh?rt?

by Michael Ellerman

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 23:20 +0100, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:42:32 +0000
> > Von: Mel Gorman <[email protected]>
> > An: Gerhard Pircher <[email protected]>
> > CC: [email protected], [email protected]
> > Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

> > > Yeah, I know. But the platform code hasn't changed much when porting it
> > > from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc. That's why I'm a little bit lost in this
> > > case. :-)
> > >

> > I'm at a bit of a loss to guess what might have changed in powerpc code
> > that would explain this. I've added the linuxppc-dev mailing list in
> > case they can make a guess.
> Yes, I'll try to get some comments on the linuxppc-dev mailing list.
>
> > I think you are also going to need to start bisecting searching
> > specifically for the patch that causes these overwrites.
> I think I had a similar problem with kernel v2.6.23, too and therefore
> waited for kernel 2.6.24. So the problem may exist since a long time.
>
> > It's a virtual address so it depends on the value of CONFIG_KERNEL_START
> > as to whether this is a user program address or not.
> AFAIK start_kernel() is called very early in the boot process, were no
> user or kernel thread is active. I also wonder why the kernel crashes when
> the mem boot option is used. Let's see what the linuxppc-dev people say.

Can you post a fresh bug report? There's lots of details missing from
the email you forwarded.

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
OzLabs, IBM Australia Development Lab

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2008-02-05 00:02:26

by Benjamin Herrenschmidt

> It's a virtual address so it depends on the value of CONFIG_KERNEL_START
> as to whether this is a user program address or not.

Shouldn't it be PAGE_OFFSET ? I mean, CONFIG_KERNEL_START should work
on powerpc, but still...

Ben.

2008-02-05 00:07:13

by Benjamin Herrenschmidt

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 21:05 +0100, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:11:19 +0000
> > Von: Mel Gorman <[email protected]>
> > An: Gerhard Pircher <[email protected]>
> > CC: [email protected]
> > Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine
>
> > With this patch, early boot would use pages from lower PFNs. Without the
> > patch, it would use memory from higher PFNs. That is the only real
> > difference.
> >
> > 1. Is there any chance that all of your memory is not being properly
> > initialised?
> Do you mean uninitialized hardware? That shouldn't be a problem, since
> older kernels (e.g. 2.6.19 with platform patches for arch/ppc) are running
> fine.

No, it looks more to me like you aren't properly defining the available
memory somewhere, or along those lines. Are you using CONFIG_HIGHMEM ? I
think there have been some issues until recent patches from Kumar, if
you try to reserve memory in the highmem region (though that may not be
your problem).

Or maybe you are colliding with some of the non-coherent hacks ?

> > 2. Any chance of seeing a dmesg log?
> That's a little bit of a problem. The kernel log in memory doesn't show
> any kernel oops, but is also fragmented (small fragments seem to have been
> overwritten with 0x0). I could extract it by using the U-boot firmware,
> but that takes some time, as the serial console is not yet working.
> I tried to boot the kernel with 512MB and 1.5GB RAM. The amount of memory
> doesn't have any effect and the amount of memory is reported correctly
> in the kernel log.
>
> > 3. If you boot with the patch reverted and then do something to consume
> > all memory like build loads of kernel trees simultaneously, do you see
> > any problems?
> Well, I can't answer this question. The kernel currently locks up when
> bisect it) and doesn't seem to be related to this problem.

What happens without CONFIG_HIGHMEM ?

Ben.

2008-02-05 00:08:21

by Benjamin Herrenschmidt

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 22:06 +0100, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> > Could you try booting with 16MB less memory using mem=?
> I started the kernel with 512MB RAM (mem=496) and 1.5GB (mem=1520).
> The
> kernel oopes in both cases with a "Unable to handle kernel paging
> request
> for data address 0xbffff000", followed by a "Oops: kernel access of
> bad
> area, sig 11" message. The end of the stack trace shows the
> start_here()
> function.
> I'm not a PowerPC expert, but if 0xbffff000 is a virtual address, then
> it would be in the user program address space, right? If it is a
> physical
> address, then it is somewhere in the unallocated PCI address space

Have you tried DEBUG_PAGEALLOC ? It might fault earlier which might give
us better informations. Also, a stactrace from the oops might be useful,
along with a copy of your device-tree.

Ben.

2008-02-05 10:23:59

by Mel Gorman

On (05/02/08 11:01), Benjamin Herrenschmidt didst pronounce:

> > It's a virtual address so it depends on the value of CONFIG_KERNEL_START
> > as to whether this is a user program address or not.
>
> Shouldn't it be PAGE_OFFSET ? I mean, CONFIG_KERNEL_START should work
> on powerpc, but still...

mel@arnold:~/git/linux-2.6$ grep PAGE_OFFSET include/asm-ppc/page.h
#define PAGE_OFFSET CONFIG_KERNEL_START

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center
University of Limerick IBM Dublin Software Lab

2008-02-05 20:50:56

by Benjamin Herrenschmidt

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 10:23 +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
> On (05/02/08 11:01), Benjamin Herrenschmidt didst pronounce:
> >

> > > It's a virtual address so it depends on the value of CONFIG_KERNEL_START
> > > as to whether this is a user program address or not.
> >
> > Shouldn't it be PAGE_OFFSET ? I mean, CONFIG_KERNEL_START should work
> > on powerpc, but still...
> >

> mel@arnold:~/git/linux-2.6$ grep PAGE_OFFSET include/asm-ppc/page.h
> #define PAGE_OFFSET CONFIG_KERNEL_START

On powerpc sure.... but it's still dodgy I think.

Ben.

2008-02-05 23:17:20

by Gerhard Pircher

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 11:06:36 +1100
> Von: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email protected]>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <[email protected]>
> CC: Mel Gorman <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 21:05 +0100, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > > Datum: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:11:19 +0000
> > > Von: Mel Gorman <[email protected]>
> > > An: Gerhard Pircher <[email protected]>
> > > CC: [email protected]
> > > Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my
> machine
> >
> > > With this patch, early boot would use pages from lower PFNs. Without
> > > the patch, it would use memory from higher PFNs. That is the only
> > > real difference.
> > >
> > > 1. Is there any chance that all of your memory is not being properly
> > > initialised?
> > Do you mean uninitialized hardware? That shouldn't be a problem, since
> > older kernels (e.g. 2.6.19 with platform patches for arch/ppc) are
> > running fine.
>
> No, it looks more to me like you aren't properly defining the available
> memory somewhere, or along those lines. Are you using CONFIG_HIGHMEM ? I
> think there have been some issues until recent patches from Kumar, if
> you try to reserve memory in the highmem region (though that may not be
> your problem).
As far as I can see, the U-boot bootwrapper enters the correct size for
the available system memory. Also the memory zone initialization looks
reasonable to me (768 MB in DMA zone and 768 MB in HIGHMEM zone - it's a
G4 machine with 1.5GB RAM).
I compiled kernels (v2.6.24) with and without highmem. The attached
logfiles (kernel-[no]highmem.log) indicate that this doesn't seem to be
the problem.
The kernel boots fine until loading INIT, if it is compiled with this
patch (IIRC commited for 2.6.24-rc2, reverted for 2.6.24):
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=5adc5be7cd1bcef6bb64f5255d2a33f20a3cf5be
(see logfile kernel-pages_at_lower_pfns.log)

> Or maybe you are colliding with some of the non-coherent hacks ?
Yes, the AmigaOne platform code makes use of the non coherent DMA
implementation, but that seems to be working just fine. I compiled a
kernel without non coherent DMA support and it died during the boot
process, too.

> > > Could you try booting with 16MB less memory using mem=?
> > > I started the kernel with 512MB RAM (mem=496) and 1.5GB (mem=1520).
> > > The kernel oopes in both cases with a "Unable to handle kernel
> > > paging request for data address 0xbffff000", followed by a "Oops:
> > > kernel access of bad area, sig 11" message. The end of the stack
> > > trace shows the start_here() function.
> Have you tried DEBUG_PAGEALLOC ? It might fault earlier which might give
> us better informations. Also, a stactrace from the oops might be useful,
> along with a copy of your device-tree.
Yes, I attached the log file for a kernel compiled with DEBUG_PAGEALLOC.
But I'm afraid it doesn't contain useful information, because the log is
even more distorted.

The oops only happend when using the "mem" boot option. The
kernel-oopsmemoption.log attachment should show the stack trace.

I really wonder why the kernel log buffer gets distorted. I only
experienced this with newer kernels (>2.6.23). Note that I haven't tested
older versions (2.6.20-2.6.22).

I included the AmigaOne platform patch (device tree, setup code). The
platform setup code clears the CPU_FTR_NEED_COHERENT flag for G4 cpus and
disables the L2 cache prefetch to workaround a cpu and northbridge bug.
This workaround worked with all 2.6.x kernels so far.

Thanks!

Gerhard
Ideal f?r Modem und ISDN: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer

Attachments:
kernel-highmem.log (13.76 kB)
kernel-nohighmem.log (5.58 kB)
kernel-debugpagealloc.log (1.08 kB)
kernel-pages_at_lower_pfns.log (42.28 kB)
kernel-oopsmemoption.log (7.26 kB)
patch_amigaone_platform (20.81 kB)
Download all attachments