2008-02-20 05:35:26

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: Tree for Feb 20

Hi all,

I have created today's linux-next tree at
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git.

You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
file in the source. There are also quilt-import.log and merge.log files
in the Next directory. Between each merge, the tree was built with
allmodconfig for both powerpc and x86_64.

There were no merge conflicts and only one build failure!

We are up to 27 trees, more are welcome (even if they are currently
empty). I would encourage architecture maintainers, in particular, to
set up a git branch or quilt tree now to avoid the rush after RC2 :-)

I will stop making these announcements now unless there is some change to
the tree or things people should know. There should be a new tree every
(Australian Capital Territory) working day.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (938.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Feb 20

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 04:34:57PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have created today's linux-next tree at
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git.
>
> You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
> file in the source. There are also quilt-import.log and merge.log files
> in the Next directory. Between each merge, the tree was built with
> allmodconfig for both powerpc and x86_64.

What's the best way to constantly follow this tree? I had cloned it a
while ago, but now if I 'git pull' it wants to merge things, which isn't
right.

I'm guessing that this is constantly being rebased? Against what,
Linus's tree? So we should be able to clone Linus's tree, and then pull
in -next?

Or am I totally missing something here?

> There were no merge conflicts and only one build failure!
>
> We are up to 27 trees, more are welcome (even if they are currently
> empty). I would encourage architecture maintainers, in particular, to
> set up a git branch or quilt tree now to avoid the rush after RC2 :-)
>
> I will stop making these announcements now unless there is some change to
> the tree or things people should know. There should be a new tree every
> (Australian Capital Territory) working day.

I like seeing these, to know that things are at least still working. I
imagine you could script them, or just send them to the linux-next list
if there are no problems, but lkml should probably be notified of any
issues, right?

thanks,

greg k-h

2008-02-20 05:55:37

by David Miller

From: Greg KH <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:50:55 -0800

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 04:34:57PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > I will stop making these announcements now unless there is some change to
> > the tree or things people should know. There should be a new tree every
> > (Australian Capital Territory) working day.
>
> I like seeing these, to know that things are at least still working.

FWIW, I like seeing them too. It acts as a catalist in my inbox
which works as a TODO list.

2008-02-20 06:16:57

by Chris Wedgwood

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:50:55PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> What's the best way to constantly follow this tree? I had cloned it
> a while ago, but now if I 'git pull' it wants to merge things, which
> isn't right.

I would guess:

$ git remote add linux-next git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git
$ git fetch linux-next

then use the remote branch names when poking about:

$ git log -p linux-next/master

etc?

Or is there a better way?

2008-02-20 06:58:21

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Greg,

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:50:55 -0800 Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:

> What's the best way to constantly follow this tree? I had cloned it a
> while ago, but now if I 'git pull' it wants to merge things, which isn't
> right.
>
> I'm guessing that this is constantly being rebased? Against what,
> Linus's tree? So we should be able to clone Linus's tree, and then pull
> in -next?

That would work. Chris has the right idea, though. Just set up
linux-next as a remote on any existing clone of Linus' tree and the
"fetch" will forcibly update the linux-next/master branch (remember to
not have that branch checked out when you fetch).

If you keep a continuing git tree for this, you will have the history of
all the next trees because I tag each one.

> Or am I totally missing something here?

I said in the original announcement that the "master" branch would be
rebasing every day (well, I actually said that I would recreate the tree
every day).

Each day, I start with the latest version of Linus' tree (my "stable"
branch) and then merge all the subsystem trees on that.

> I like seeing these, to know that things are at least still working. I
> imagine you could script them, or just send them to the linux-next list
> if there are no problems, but lkml should probably be notified of any
> issues, right?

Sounds like a plan. So new "normal" announcements will happen on the
linux-next mailing list and "abnormal" ones to LKML as well (at least).

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.54 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Jeff Garzik

Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 04:34:57PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have created today's linux-next tree at
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git.
>>
>> You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
>> file in the source. There are also quilt-import.log and merge.log files
>> in the Next directory. Between each merge, the tree was built with
>> allmodconfig for both powerpc and x86_64.
>
> What's the best way to constantly follow this tree? I had cloned it a
> while ago, but now if I 'git pull' it wants to merge things, which isn't
> right.
>
> I'm guessing that this is constantly being rebased? Against what,
> Linus's tree? So we should be able to clone Linus's tree, and then pull
> in -next?
>
> Or am I totally missing something here?

You can use 'git fetch -f' to override your local tree with the remote
contents.

I'm pretty sure there's a better way to do it, but I don't know it...

Jeff

2008-02-20 07:49:28

by Frank Seidel

Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> That would work. Chris has the right idea, though. Just set up
> linux-next as a remote on any existing clone of Linus' tree and the
> "fetch" will forcibly update the linux-next/master branch (remember to
> not have that branch checked out when you fetch).
>
> If you keep a continuing git tree for this, you will have the history of
> all the next trees because I tag each one.

Thanks for that hint. Added it to the FAQ on the Wiki
(http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/pmwiki/).

Frank

2008-02-20 08:14:26

by Adrian Bunk

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 04:34:57PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> I will stop making these announcements now unless there is some change to
> the tree or things people should know. There should be a new tree every
> (Australian Capital Territory) working day.

I'd recommend removing linux-arch from daily emails but linux-kernel
will this month for the first time average over 500 mails/day so there
shouldn't be any reason against daily postings here.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2008-02-20 14:59:33

by James Bottomley

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 16:34 +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have created today's linux-next tree at
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git.
>
> You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
> file in the source. There are also quilt-import.log and merge.log files
> in the Next directory. Between each merge, the tree was built with
> allmodconfig for both powerpc and x86_64.
>
> There were no merge conflicts and only one build failure!

Is the merge log available anywhere yet?

James

2008-02-20 15:29:19

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi James,

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:59:20 -0600 James Bottomley <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is the merge log available anywhere yet?

Are you looking for more that what is in Next/merge.log in the tree?

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (328.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Frank Seidel

James Bottomley wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 16:34 +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> There were no merge conflicts and only one build failure!
>
> Is the merge log available anywhere yet?

Yes, there is the Next/merge.log file in linux-next.
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git;a=blob;f=Next/merge.log;hb=HEAD

This is also now documented on the pages i setup on
http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/
while this
http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Linux-next.ShortSummary
holds most of it in a short form.

Thanks,
Frank

2008-02-20 15:56:39

by James Bottomley

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 02:20 +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:59:20 -0600 James Bottomley <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Is the merge log available anywhere yet?
>
> Are you looking for more that what is in Next/merge.log in the tree?

Yes, that's it, thanks!

James