2008-06-01 21:57:42

by Michael Guntsche

Subject: Re: 2.6.25.x: Wrong CPU frequency (cpufreq table) with p4-clockmod

On May 30, 2008, at 16:07, Guntsche Michael wrote:

> I am most interested in keeping the temperature of my CPU down,
> which means slower fans, which means less noise.
> The main "problem" I have is that I do not know if this is a simple
> display issue or if I am having a more fundamental problem here.

Just FYI I found out the cause of my problem.

Reverting http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ed9cbcd40004904dbe61ccc16d6106a7de38c998
this patch resultsin the correct numbers for me.

<cpuinfo snip>
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 1
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 637.500
<snip>

This patch was reverted because other people seem to have problems
with it, reverting the revert does not look like a good idea either.
But since I know now, that this is just a "display" problem and
everything is working otherwise, I'll just patch this locally for my
machine here.

Kind regards,
Michael

2008-06-02 01:58:20

by Arjan van de Ven

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:57:14 +0200
Guntsche Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 30, 2008, at 16:07, Guntsche Michael wrote:
>

> > I am most interested in keeping the temperature of my CPU down,
> > which means slower fans, which means less noise.
> > The main "problem" I have is that I do not know if this is a
> > simple display issue or if I am having a more fundamental problem
> > here.
>
> Just FYI I found out the cause of my problem.
>
> Reverting
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ed9cbcd40004904dbe61ccc16d6106a7de38c998
> this patch resultsin the correct numbers for me.
>
> <cpuinfo snip>
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 15
> model : 1
> model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
> stepping : 2
> cpu MHz : 637.500
> <snip>
>
> This patch was reverted because other people seem to have problems
> with it, reverting the revert does not look like a good idea either.
> But since I know now, that this is just a "display" problem and
> everything is working otherwise, I'll just patch this locally for my
> machine here.

just as a side note.. you do realize that with p4-clockmod, your cpu is
still running at 1.7 GHz right? (it's just doing less work '-)

2008-06-02 02:37:33

by Roger Heflin

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:57:14 +0200
> Guntsche Michael <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On May 30, 2008, at 16:07, Guntsche Michael wrote:
>>
>>> I am most interested in keeping the temperature of my CPU down,
>>> which means slower fans, which means less noise.
>>> The main "problem" I have is that I do not know if this is a
>>> simple display issue or if I am having a more fundamental problem
>>> here.
>> Just FYI I found out the cause of my problem.
>>
>> Reverting
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ed9cbcd40004904dbe61ccc16d6106a7de38c998
>> this patch resultsin the correct numbers for me.
>>
>> <cpuinfo snip>
>> processor : 0
>> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
>> cpu family : 15
>> model : 1
>> model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
>> stepping : 2
>> cpu MHz : 637.500
>> <snip>
>>
>> This patch was reverted because other people seem to have problems
>> with it, reverting the revert does not look like a good idea either.
>> But since I know now, that this is just a "display" problem and
>> everything is working otherwise, I'll just patch this locally for my
>> machine here.
>>

> just as a side note.. you do realize that with p4-clockmod, your cpu is
> still running at 1.7 GHz right? (it's just doing less work '-)

From my testing, I believe the only thing that p4-clockmod does is forces an
idle call when it could otherwise do work on an active process, so fullspeed and
idle uses *EXACTLY* the same amount of power as p4-clockmod slower speed and
idle (and therefore generates exactly the same amount of heat), the only power
difference would be that if you were using p4-clockmod to slow down the cpu when
it had an active running process (force the cpu to be idle a lot of the time
even though it has work). Arjan's point is that if you are using p4-clockmod
to slow down an idle cpu in hopes of saving power when the cpu is not being
used, then it is not going to make *ANY* difference in the power usage at all.

I tried it on my p4 here, and cannot see any power difference in idle/fullspeed
and idle/slowspeed, this is unlike the later power saving stuff that actually
does slow down the cpu frequency, and you can measure a different amount of
power usage with the different clock speeds and an idle cpu.

Roger

2008-06-02 05:40:55

by Michael Guntsche

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 21:36:58 -0500, Roger Heflin <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>>
>> just as a side note.. you do realize that with p4-clockmod, your cpu is
>> still running at 1.7 GHz right? (it's just doing less work '-)
> From my testing, I believe the only thing that p4-clockmod does is
forces
> an
> idle call when it could otherwise do work on an active process, so
> fullspeed and
> idle uses *EXACTLY* the same amount of power as p4-clockmod slower speed
<snip>

Thanks for the detailed information everyone. The first time I tested this
I was under the impression that it indeed had an influence on the produced
heat of the CPU. I did a quick test this morning and of course you are
right, there is no change at all.

This is a good thing though, since it gives me an excuse to upgrade this
machine to a C2D. :)
For the time being I will just disable the cpufreq stuff since it really
does not make a difference in my case.

Kind regards,
Michael

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008, Roger Heflin wrote:
> From my testing, I believe the only thing that p4-clockmod does is forces
> an idle call when it could otherwise do work on an active process, so
> fullspeed and idle uses *EXACTLY* the same amount of power as p4-clockmod
> slower speed and idle (and therefore generates exactly the same amount of
> heat), the only power difference would be that if you were using
> p4-clockmod to slow down the cpu when it had an active running process
> (force the cpu to be idle a lot of the time even though it has work).

Indeed. And if we had a generic interface for throttling (ACPI
T-states-like) and frequency changes (ACPI P-states-like), we could just
move p4-clockmod to the throttling one (and NOT letting it register with
the frequency changes interface), and be done with it.

Do we have these interfaces?

Henrique Holschuh

2008-06-02 16:44:57

by Matthew Garrett

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 12:37:59PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Indeed. And if we had a generic interface for throttling (ACPI
> T-states-like) and frequency changes (ACPI P-states-like), we could just
> move p4-clockmod to the throttling one (and NOT letting it register with
> the frequency changes interface), and be done with it.
>
> Do we have these interfaces?

No.
--
Matthew Garrett | [email protected]