2008-06-10 08:27:26

by Justin Piszcz

Subject: Setting system clock... (FREEZE) (2.6.25.5)

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/hard-freeze-on-boot-between-setting-clock-and-host-name-625494/

Setting system clock... (FREEZE)

Then, I power cycle the host and it comes up OK, per the above will
disable network console support and stop using it, hopefully this solves
the problem.

I am not using it elsewhere and have not seen this issue.

At the moment, using: 2.6.25.5 (Debian Testing)

Going to 2.6.25.6 w/network logging disabled.

Was curious though if anyone on the list has seen something similar to
this and can confirm if it is indeed the network console logging?

Thanks,

Justin.

2008-07-05 08:31:23

by Justin Piszcz

Subject: Re: Setting system clock... (FREEZE) (2.6.25.5)

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/hard-freeze-on-boot-between-setting-clock-and-host-name-625494/
>
> Setting system clock... (FREEZE)
>
> Then, I power cycle the host and it comes up OK, per the above will disable
> network console support and stop using it, hopefully this solves the problem.
>
> I am not using it elsewhere and have not seen this issue.
>
> At the moment, using: 2.6.25.5 (Debian Testing)
>
> Going to 2.6.25.6 w/network logging disabled.
>
> Was curious though if anyone on the list has seen something similar to this
> and can confirm if it is indeed the network console logging?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Justin.

Apparently it affects other HW platforms as well:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/8375

I will try using acpi=off/etc in the future to see if it resolves the
issue, but being so wide-spread could this be a kernel issue since it
affects many HW types or are there many BIOS implementations that are
really buggy?

Justin.

2008-07-05 10:28:16

by Anders Eriksson

>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/hard-freeze-on-boot-be
>> tween-setting-clock-and-host-name-625494/ >
> Setting system clock... (FREEZE) >

I can confirm this as well. hp nc6400 laptop.
Tripple booting into w2k, sles 10.1 (kernel 2.6.16.xxx afair), and gentoo
(vanilla 2.6.25.x).

I see the issue on ever 2-4 boots in gentoo only. I'd be happy to try patches.

/Anders