2008-07-15 12:48:19

by Martin Michlmayr

Subject: s2disk: system powers up again after power off

When I use s2disk to suspend my HP 2510p notebook, it writes
everything to disk, and powers off... but after 2-3 seconds it often
powers on again. This doesn't happen all the time but quite
frequently (definitely in the majority of cases).

I believe I've never seen this when I use "halt" to power off the
machine (but I don't use halt very often).

Any idea?
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

2008-07-15 13:05:41

by Avuton Olrich

Subject: Re: s2disk: system powers up again after power off

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Martin Michlmayr <[email protected]> wrote:
> When I use s2disk to suspend my HP 2510p notebook, it writes
> everything to disk, and powers off... but after 2-3 seconds it often
> powers on again. This doesn't happen all the time but quite
> frequently (definitely in the majority of cases).
>
> I believe I've never seen this when I use "halt" to power off the
> machine (but I don't use halt very often).
>
> Any idea?

Ugh, this happens here too, this started occuring before 2.6.25 but
every time I try to bisect it takes hours and I end up screwing up
somewhere along the way, so I haven't had time to bisect this
correctly.
--
avuton
--

2008-07-15 20:22:28

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Tuesday, 15 of July 2008, Avuton Olrich wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Martin Michlmayr <[email protected]> wrote:
> > When I use s2disk to suspend my HP 2510p notebook, it writes
> > everything to disk, and powers off... but after 2-3 seconds it often
> > powers on again. This doesn't happen all the time but quite
> > frequently (definitely in the majority of cases).
> >
> > I believe I've never seen this when I use "halt" to power off the
> > machine (but I don't use halt very often).
> >
> > Any idea?
>
> Ugh, this happens here too, this started occuring before 2.6.25 but
> every time I try to bisect it takes hours and I end up screwing up
> somewhere along the way, so I haven't had time to bisect this
> correctly.

Please try to put "shutdown method = shutdown" into the s2disk's configuration
file and see what happens in that case.

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-07-15 22:48:26

by Avuton Olrich

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 of July 2008, Avuton Olrich wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Martin Michlmayr <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > When I use s2disk to suspend my HP 2510p notebook, it writes
>> > everything to disk, and powers off... but after 2-3 seconds it often
>> > powers on again. This doesn't happen all the time but quite
>> > frequently (definitely in the majority of cases).
>> >
>> > I believe I've never seen this when I use "halt" to power off the
>> > machine (but I don't use halt very often).
>> >
>> > Any idea?
>>
>> Ugh, this happens here too, this started occuring before 2.6.25 but
>> every time I try to bisect it takes hours and I end up screwing up
>> somewhere along the way, so I haven't had time to bisect this
>> correctly.
>
> Please try to put "shutdown method = shutdown" into the s2disk's configuration
> file and see what happens in that case.

Anything a little less fancy? I use pm-hibernate, or gnome's Power
Manager to hibernate; I don't even have s2disk installed, sorry I
should have mentioned that.
--
avuton
--
"I've got a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell." --
Christopher Walken

2008-07-15 22:58:07

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Wednesday, 16 of July 2008, Avuton Olrich wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Ugh, this happens here too, this started occuring before 2.6.25 but
> >> every time I try to bisect it takes hours and I end up screwing up
> >> somewhere along the way, so I haven't had time to bisect this
> >> correctly.
> >
> > Please try to put "shutdown method = shutdown" into the s2disk's configuration
> > file and see what happens in that case.
>
> Anything a little less fancy? I use pm-hibernate, or gnome's Power
> Manager to hibernate; I don't even have s2disk installed, sorry I
> should have mentioned that.

Martin mentioned s2disk in his original post. Never mind.

Please try to do "echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk" before hibernation and
see what happens.

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-07-15 23:09:56

by Avuton Olrich

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 of July 2008, Avuton Olrich wrote:

>> > Please try to put "shutdown method = shutdown" into the s2disk's configuration
>> > file and see what happens in that case.
>>
>> Anything a little less fancy? I use pm-hibernate, or gnome's Power
>> Manager to hibernate; I don't even have s2disk installed, sorry I
>> should have mentioned that.
>
> Martin mentioned s2disk in his original post. Never mind.
>
> Please try to do "echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk" before hibernation and
> see what happens.

Well, that certainly works (powers off as expected). Should I be
putting this in my startup scripts or is there something I need to do
to help fix this problem, kernel-wise?

Thanks!
--
avuton
--
"I've got a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell." --
Christopher Walken

2008-07-15 23:30:55

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Wednesday, 16 of July 2008, Avuton Olrich wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Anything a little less fancy? I use pm-hibernate, or gnome's Power
> >> Manager to hibernate; I don't even have s2disk installed, sorry I
> >> should have mentioned that.
> >
> > Martin mentioned s2disk in his original post. Never mind.
> >
> > Please try to do "echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk" before hibernation and
> > see what happens.
>
> Well, that certainly works (powers off as expected). Should I be
> putting this in my startup scripts or is there something I need to do
> to help fix this problem, kernel-wise?

The problem is probably that in the "platform" mode, which is the default,
some devices are set up for wake-up and they trigger that immediately after
powering off. I think we can figure out which devices do it and try to provide
a fix, but that will certainly take time.

In the meantime, if there are no adverse effects of using the "shutdown" mode
on your box, I'd recommend putting the "echo ..." into startup or hibernation
scripts.

BTW, is the problem also present in linux-next?

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-07-16 03:32:29

by Avuton Olrich

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 of July 2008, Avuton Olrich wrote:

>> > Martin mentioned s2disk in his original post. Never mind.
>> >
>> > Please try to do "echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk" before hibernation and
>> > see what happens.
>>
>> Well, that certainly works (powers off as expected). Should I be
>> putting this in my startup scripts or is there something I need to do
>> to help fix this problem, kernel-wise?
>
> BTW, is the problem also present in linux-next?

No, it appears to be fixed in linux-next, thanks!
--
avuton
--
"I've got a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell." --
Christopher Walken

2008-07-16 12:39:55

by Martin Michlmayr

* Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> [2008-07-15 22:24]:
> Please try to put "shutdown method = shutdown" into the s2disk's configuration
> file and see what happens in that case.

Yep, this work.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

2008-07-16 15:35:38

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Wednesday, 16 of July 2008, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> [2008-07-15 22:24]:
> > Please try to put "shutdown method = shutdown" into the s2disk's configuration
> > file and see what happens in that case.
>
> Yep, this work.

This is a workaround, though.

Can you check if the problem is present in linux-next, please?

Rafael

2008-07-16 16:02:16

by Martin Michlmayr

* Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> [2008-07-16 17:37]:
> This is a workaround, though.
>
> Can you check if the problem is present in linux-next, please?

I'm pretty right now because I'm going to OSCON next week, but I can
try rc1 when I'm back.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

2008-07-16 20:04:30

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Wednesday, 16 of July 2008, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> [2008-07-16 17:37]:
> > This is a workaround, though.
> >
> > Can you check if the problem is present in linux-next, please?
>
> I'm pretty right now because I'm going to OSCON next week, but I can
> try rc1 when I'm back.

That will suffice.

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-08-16 13:49:59

by Martin Michlmayr

* Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> [2008-07-16 17:37]:
> > > Please try to put "shutdown method = shutdown" into the s2disk's configuration
> > > file and see what happens in that case.
> > Yep, this work.
>
> This is a workaround, though.
>
> Can you check if the problem is present in linux-next, please?

I finally got a chance to test 2.6.27-rc2 and confirm that my laptop
correctly powers off with "shutdown method = platform now".

Do you have any idea which patch might have fixed this? It would be
nice to include it in Debian's 2.6.26 kernel.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

2008-08-16 19:06:46

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Saturday, 16 of August 2008, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> [2008-07-16 17:37]:
> > > Yep, this work.
> >
> > This is a workaround, though.
> >
> > Can you check if the problem is present in linux-next, please?
>
> I finally got a chance to test 2.6.27-rc2 and confirm that my laptop
> correctly powers off with "shutdown method = platform now".
>
> Do you have any idea which patch might have fixed this? It would be
> nice to include it in Debian's 2.6.26 kernel.

There was a series of commits ending with commit
337001b6c42938f49a880b1b8306c3ed771a7e61 ("PCI: Simplify PCI device PM code").

Unfortunately I don't think it's practicable to backport all of those patches.

Thanks,
Rafael