2008-07-21 03:51:29

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: please hold off 2.6.28 stuff

Hi all,

Andrew mentioned this and I just thought I would reinforce the message:

Please do not put 2.6.28 code into linux-next until at least after -rc1.
This will help Andrew's sanity :-)

So the day that -RC1 is released, I would like for linux-next to be
just about empty wrt Linus' tree. (Apart from bug fixes and late merges,
of course).

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (449.00 B)
(No filename) (197.00 B)

by Harvey Harrison

Subject: Re: linux-next: please hold off 2.6.28 stuff

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 13:51 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Andrew mentioned this and I just thought I would reinforce the message:
>
> Please do not put 2.6.28 code into linux-next until at least after -rc1.
> This will help Andrew's sanity :-)

I would say let -rc2 be the flag for putting things for the next (2.6.28) release
into -next. That would give akpm time to get his load in as well.
Between -rc1 and -rc2, he could look at -next to see what patches were
picked up by maintainers and what he'll still have to send in himself.

But it's not me doing the work :-)

Keep up the good work Stephen/AKPM.

Harvey

2008-07-21 06:22:12

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Harvey,

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:13:41 -0700 Harvey Harrison <[email protected]> wrote:

> I would say let -rc2 be the flag for putting things for the next (2.6.28) release
> into -next. That would give akpm time to get his load in as well.
> Between -rc1 and -rc2, he could look at -next to see what patches were
> picked up by maintainers and what he'll still have to send in himself.

Fine by me - I get another week off :-)

Andrew?

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (553.00 B)
(No filename) (197.00 B)

by Andrew Morton

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:21:41 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Harvey,
>
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:13:41 -0700 Harvey Harrison <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I would say let -rc2 be the flag for putting things for the next (2.6.28) release
> > into -next. That would give akpm time to get his load in as well.
> > Between -rc1 and -rc2, he could look at -next to see what patches were
> > picked up by maintainers and what he'll still have to send in himself.
>
> Fine by me - I get another week off :-)

We can't have that.

> Andrew?

-rc1 is a suitable time, thanks.