2008-08-18 14:25:43

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: Re: [malware-list] scanner interface proposal was: [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 02:15:24PM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Then there is still a question of who allows some binary to declare itself
> exempt. If that decision was a mistake, or it gets compromised security
> will be off. A very powerful mechanism which must not be easily
> accessible. With a good cache your worries go away even without a scheme
> like this.

I have one word for you --- bittorrent. If you are downloading a very
large torrent (say approximately a gigabyte), and it contains many
pdf's that are say a few megabytes a piece, and things are coming in
tribbles, having either a indexing scanner or an AV scanner wake up
and rescan the file from scratch each time a tiny piece of the pdf
comes in is going to eat your machine alive....

- Ted

2008-08-18 15:32:25

by Tvrtko Ursulin

Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote on 18/08/2008 15:25:11:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 02:15:24PM +0100, [email protected]
wrote:
> > Then there is still a question of who allows some binary to declare
itself
> > exempt. If that decision was a mistake, or it gets compromised
security
> > will be off. A very powerful mechanism which must not be easily
> > accessible. With a good cache your worries go away even without a
scheme
> > like this.
>
> I have one word for you --- bittorrent. If you are downloading a very
> large torrent (say approximately a gigabyte), and it contains many
> pdf's that are say a few megabytes a piece, and things are coming in
> tribbles, having either a indexing scanner or an AV scanner wake up
> and rescan the file from scratch each time a tiny piece of the pdf
> comes in is going to eat your machine alive....

Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance but
because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural point,
unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other have
suggested time delay and lumping up.

Also, just to double-check, you don't think AV scanning would read the
whole file on every write?

--
Tvrtko A. Ursulin
Senior Software Engineer, Sophos

"Views and opinions expressed in this email are strictly those of the
author.
The contents has not been reviewed or approved by Sophos."

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.

2008-08-18 15:50:34

by Alan

> Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
> explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance but
> because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
> modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural point,
> unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other have
> suggested time delay and lumping up.

You need a bit more than close I imagine, otherwise I can simply keep the
file open forever. There are lots of cases where that would be natural
behaviour - eg if I was to attack some kind of web forum and insert a
windows worm into the forum which was database backed the file would
probably never be closed. That seems to be one of the more common attack
vectors nowdays.

> Also, just to double-check, you don't think AV scanning would read the
> whole file on every write?

So you need the system to accumulate some kind of complete in memory set
of 'dirty' range lists on all I/O ? That is going to have pretty bad
performance impacts and serialization.

2008-08-18 15:59:31

by Tvrtko Ursulin

Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote on 18/08/2008 16:31:48:

> > Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even

> > explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance
but
> > because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
> > modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural
point,
> > unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other have
> > suggested time delay and lumping up.
>
> You need a bit more than close I imagine, otherwise I can simply keep
the
> file open forever. There are lots of cases where that would be natural
> behaviour - eg if I was to attack some kind of web forum and insert a
> windows worm into the forum which was database backed the file would
> probably never be closed. That seems to be one of the more common attack
> vectors nowdays.

Yes, I agree that modification notifications are needed in some cases.

> > Also, just to double-check, you don't think AV scanning would read the

> > whole file on every write?
>
> So you need the system to accumulate some kind of complete in memory set
> of 'dirty' range lists on all I/O ? That is going to have pretty bad
> performance impacts and serialization.

No, I was just saying scanning is pretty smart, it's not some brute force
method of scan all data that is there. It has a file type detection and
what and how to scan is determined by that. If a file does not resemble
any file type I don't think it gets scanned. For example take couple of
gigabytes of zeros and try to scan that with some products. I don't think
they will try to read the whole file.

--
Tvrtko A. Ursulin
Senior Software Engineer, Sophos

"Views and opinions expressed in this email are strictly those of the
author.
The contents has not been reviewed or approved by Sophos."

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.

2008-08-18 16:26:39

by Eric Paris

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 16:31 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote on 18/08/2008 15:25:11:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 02:15:24PM +0100, [email protected]
> wrote:
> > > Then there is still a question of who allows some binary to declare
> itself
> > > exempt. If that decision was a mistake, or it gets compromised
> security
> > > will be off. A very powerful mechanism which must not be easily
> > > accessible. With a good cache your worries go away even without a
> scheme
> > > like this.
> >
> > I have one word for you --- bittorrent. If you are downloading a very
> > large torrent (say approximately a gigabyte), and it contains many
> > pdf's that are say a few megabytes a piece, and things are coming in
> > tribbles, having either a indexing scanner or an AV scanner wake up
> > and rescan the file from scratch each time a tiny piece of the pdf
> > comes in is going to eat your machine alive....
>
> Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
> explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance but
> because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
> modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural point,
> unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other have
> suggested time delay and lumping up.
>
> Also, just to double-check, you don't think AV scanning would read the
> whole file on every write?

Make this a userspace problem. Send a notification on every mtime
update and let userspace do the coallessing, ignoring, delaying, and
perf boosting pre-emptive scans. If someone designs a crappy
indexer/scanner that can't handle the notifications just blame them, it
should be up to userspace to use this stuff wisely.

Current plans are for read/mmmap to be blocking and require a response.
Close and mtime update and going to be fire and forget async change
notifications. I'm seriously considering a runtime tunable to allow the
selection of open blocking vs async fire and forget, since I assume most
programs handle open failure much better than read failure. For the
purposes of an access control systems (AV) open blocking may make the
most sense. For the purposes of an HSM read blocking makes the most
sense.

Best thing about this is that I have code that already addresses almost
all of this. If someone else wants to contribute some code I'd be glad
to see it.

But lets talk about a real design and what people want to see.

Userspace program needs to 'register' with a priority. HSMs would want
a low priority on the blocking calls AV Scanners would want a higher
priority and indexers would want a very high priority.

On async notification we fire a message to everything that registered
'simultaneously.' On blocking we fire a message to everything in
priority order and block until we get a response. That response should
be of the form ALLOW/DENY and should include "mark result"/"don't mark
result."

If everything responds with ALLOW/"mark result" we will flip a bit IN
CORE so operations on that inode are free from then on. If any program
responds with DENY/"mark result" we will flip the negative bit IN CORE
so deny operations on the inode are free from then on.

Userspace 'scanners' if intelligent should have set a timespace in a
particular xattr of their choosing to do their own userspace results
caching to speed up things if the inode is evicted from core. This
means that the 'normal' flow of operations for an inode will look like:

open -> async to userspace -> userspace scans and writes timestamp

read -> blocking to userspace -> userspace checks xattr timestamp and
mtime and responds with ALLOW/"mark result"

read -> we have the ALLOW/mark result bit in core set so just allow.

mtime update -> clear ALLOW/"mark result" bit in core, send async
notification to userspace

close -> send async notification to userspace

If some general xattr namespace is agreed upon for such a thing someday
a patch may be acceptable to clear that namespace on mtime update, but I
don't plan to do that at this time since comparing the timestamp in the
xattr vs mtime should be good enough.

******************************

Great, how to build this interface. THIS IS WHAT I ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT

The communication with userspace has a very specific need. The scanning
process needs to get 'something' that will give it access to the
original file/inode/data being worked on. My previous patch set does
this with a special securityfs file. Scanners would block on 'read.'
This block was waiting for something to be scanned and when available a
dentry_open() was called in the context of the scanner for the inode in
question. This means that the fd in the scanner had to be the same data
as the fd in the original process.

If people want me to use something like netlink to send async
notifications to the scanner how do I also get the file/inode/data to
the scanning process? Can anyone think of a better/cleaner method to
get a file descriptor into the context of the scanner other than having
the scanner block/poll on a special file inside the securityfs?

2008-08-18 16:28:36

by Douglas Leeder

[email protected] wrote on 2008-08-18 15:25:11:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 02:15:24PM +0100, [email protected]
wrote:
> > Then there is still a question of who allows some binary to declare
itself
> > exempt. If that decision was a mistake, or it gets compromised
security
> > will be off. A very powerful mechanism which must not be easily
> > accessible. With a good cache your worries go away even without a
scheme
> > like this.
>
> I have one word for you --- bittorrent. If you are downloading a very
> large torrent (say approximately a gigabyte), and it contains many
> pdf's that are say a few megabytes a piece, and things are coming in
> tribbles, having either a indexing scanner or an AV scanner wake up
> and rescan the file from scratch each time a tiny piece of the pdf
> comes in is going to eat your machine alive....

What size is a tribble? :-)

If we assume that the bittorrent client is closing and re-openning the
file
each time it's got a nice piece of the file? (Otherwise I don't think
we'll have a performance problem)

Then there maybe room for a optimisation of the following form:
For a file X.
If X is only a local disk.
If X was written from empty by process A and only process A.
Then don't scan attempts to open by process A.

But that sort of optimisation can either be done in user-space, or in a
future
kernel modification.

I haven't fully analysed this - it assumes that reading data into process
A, that
process A wrote out is safe, regardless of the data.

--
Douglas Leeder

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.

2008-08-18 16:33:17

by Alan

> On async notification we fire a message to everything that registered
> 'simultaneously.' On blocking we fire a message to everything in
> priority order and block until we get a response. That response should
> be of the form ALLOW/DENY and should include "mark result"/"don't mark
> result."

No can do - you get stuck with recursive events with the virus checker
trying to stop the indexer from indexing a worm.

> read -> we have the ALLOW/mark result bit in core set so just allow.

Don't think we need this - SELinux can do that bit

> mtime update -> clear ALLOW/"mark result" bit in core, send async
> notification to userspace

Why via the kernel ?

> The communication with userspace has a very specific need. The scanning
> process needs to get 'something' that will give it access to the
> original file/inode/data being worked on. My previous patch set does

file handle. Really you need to give the handle of the object because it
may not have a name or a meaningful inode number

2008-08-18 16:54:38

by Douglas Leeder

[email protected] wrote on 2008-08-18 17:15:00:

> > On async notification we fire a message to everything that registered
> > 'simultaneously.' On blocking we fire a message to everything in
> > priority order and block until we get a response. That response
should
> > be of the form ALLOW/DENY and should include "mark result"/"don't mark
> > result."
>
> No can do - you get stuck with recursive events with the virus checker
> trying to stop the indexer from indexing a worm.

And the opposite approach can't work because the AV scanner + the index
scanner
need the HSM to do its work before they can scan.

I guess the only way it could work is to have levels:
e.g.
HSM agent is Level 1
AV scanner is Level 2
Index scanner is Level 3

When you register at Level N, you are excluded from all blocking/scanning
at Levels >= N,
but your ops are still passed to Level < N.

An example is a little hard to craft because HSM and indexing catch
different operations. :-)

--
Douglas Leeder

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.

2008-08-18 16:57:53

by Alan

> When you register at Level N, you are excluded from all blocking/scanning
> at Levels >= N,
> but your ops are still passed to Level < N.

Something like that would do the trick for any simple dependencies yes.

Alan

2008-08-18 17:07:51

by David Lang

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, [email protected] wrote:

> Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote on 18/08/2008 15:25:11:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 02:15:24PM +0100, [email protected]
> wrote:
>>> Then there is still a question of who allows some binary to declare
> itself
>>> exempt. If that decision was a mistake, or it gets compromised
> security
>>> will be off. A very powerful mechanism which must not be easily
>>> accessible. With a good cache your worries go away even without a
> scheme
>>> like this.
>>
>> I have one word for you --- bittorrent. If you are downloading a very
>> large torrent (say approximately a gigabyte), and it contains many
>> pdf's that are say a few megabytes a piece, and things are coming in
>> tribbles, having either a indexing scanner or an AV scanner wake up
>> and rescan the file from scratch each time a tiny piece of the pdf
>> comes in is going to eat your machine alive....
>
> Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
> explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance but
> because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
> modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural point,
> unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other have
> suggested time delay and lumping up.
>
> Also, just to double-check, you don't think AV scanning would read the
> whole file on every write?

if it doesn't read the entire file and only reads the parts that change,
out-of-order writes (which bittorrent does a _lot_ of) can assemble a
virus from pieces and the scanner will never see it.

as for Ted's issue, the scanner(s) would get notified when the file was
dirtied, they would then get notified if something scanned the file and it
was marked dirty again after that. If nothing got around to scanning the
file then all the following writes would not send any notification becouse
the file would already be dirty.

David Lang

2008-08-18 17:13:53

by David Lang

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, [email protected] wrote:

> Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote on 18/08/2008 16:31:48:
>
>>> Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
>
>>> explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance
> but
>>> because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
>>> modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural
> point,
>>> unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other have
>>> suggested time delay and lumping up.
>>
>> You need a bit more than close I imagine, otherwise I can simply keep
> the
>> file open forever. There are lots of cases where that would be natural
>> behaviour - eg if I was to attack some kind of web forum and insert a
>> windows worm into the forum which was database backed the file would
>> probably never be closed. That seems to be one of the more common attack
>> vectors nowdays.
>
> Yes, I agree that modification notifications are needed in some cases.
>
>>> Also, just to double-check, you don't think AV scanning would read the
>
>>> whole file on every write?
>>
>> So you need the system to accumulate some kind of complete in memory set
>> of 'dirty' range lists on all I/O ? That is going to have pretty bad
>> performance impacts and serialization.
>
> No, I was just saying scanning is pretty smart, it's not some brute force
> method of scan all data that is there. It has a file type detection and
> what and how to scan is determined by that. If a file does not resemble
> any file type I don't think it gets scanned. For example take couple of
> gigabytes of zeros and try to scan that with some products. I don't think
> they will try to read the whole file.

trying to include details of where each file was updated means that you
can't just set a single 'dirty' flag for the file (or clear the 'scanned'
flags), you instead need to detect and notify on every write.

this is a HUGE additional load on the notification mechansim and the
software that recieves the notifications.

just sending "fix X was scanned and now isn't" is going to be bad enough,
you _really_ don't want to do this for every write.

David Lang

2008-08-18 17:29:50

by David Lang

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:

> But lets talk about a real design and what people want to see.
>
> Userspace program needs to 'register' with a priority. HSMs would want
> a low priority on the blocking calls AV Scanners would want a higher
> priority and indexers would want a very high priority.

why do you need to introduce a priority mechanism for notifying scanners?
just notify them all and let them take action at their own rate for async
notifications. if you are waiting for their result you need to invoke them
directly, but whether you do it in order or in parallel will depend on the
config. this is an optmization problem that the kernel should not be
trying to figure out becouse the right answer is policy dependant (if they
all need to bless the file for it to be accepted then fire them off in
parallel (system resources allowing), if one accepting it is good enough
you may want to just run that one and see if you get lucky rather then
eating up resources of all the others)

> On async notification we fire a message to everything that registered
> 'simultaneously.' On blocking we fire a message to everything in
> priority order and block until we get a response. That response should
> be of the form ALLOW/DENY and should include "mark result"/"don't mark
> result."

why in the world would you block for an _async_ notification mechanism?

> If everything responds with ALLOW/"mark result" we will flip a bit IN
> CORE so operations on that inode are free from then on. If any program
> responds with DENY/"mark result" we will flip the negative bit IN CORE
> so deny operations on the inode are free from then on.

this requires syncronous scanning by all scanners.

> Userspace 'scanners' if intelligent should have set a timespace in a
> particular xattr of their choosing to do their own userspace results
> caching to speed up things if the inode is evicted from core. This
> means that the 'normal' flow of operations for an inode will look like:
>
> open -> async to userspace -> userspace scans and writes timestamp
>
> read -> blocking to userspace -> userspace checks xattr timestamp and
> mtime and responds with ALLOW/"mark result"

you can't trust timestamps, they go forwareds and backwords. they need to
have some sort of 'generation id' but don't try to define meaning for it,
leave that to the scanner. have everything else treat it as a simple "it
matches" or "it doesn't match"

> read -> we have the ALLOW/mark result bit in core set so just allow.
>
> mtime update -> clear ALLOW/"mark result" bit in core, send async
> notification to userspace

you keep planning to do this with a single allow mark. it may not be that
simple.

> close -> send async notification to userspace

as several others have noted, alerting on close is not good enough, we
need to alert on the scanned->dirty transition (by the way, this
contridicts the part of your message I snipped where you were advocating
notification on every write)

> If some general xattr namespace is agreed upon for such a thing someday
> a patch may be acceptable to clear that namespace on mtime update, but I
> don't plan to do that at this time since comparing the timestamp in the
> xattr vs mtime should be good enough.

if you are already accessing xattrs, why not just use the value rather
then trying to make it into a time?

> ******************************
>
> Great, how to build this interface. THIS IS WHAT I ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT
>
> The communication with userspace has a very specific need. The scanning
> process needs to get 'something' that will give it access to the
> original file/inode/data being worked on. My previous patch set does
> this with a special securityfs file. Scanners would block on 'read.'
> This block was waiting for something to be scanned and when available a
> dentry_open() was called in the context of the scanner for the inode in
> question. This means that the fd in the scanner had to be the same data
> as the fd in the original process.

having scanners access a file blocking on read won't work for multiple
scanners (unless you are going to create multiple files for them to read)

> If people want me to use something like netlink to send async
> notifications to the scanner how do I also get the file/inode/data to
> the scanning process? Can anyone think of a better/cleaner method to
> get a file descriptor into the context of the scanner other than having
> the scanner block/poll on a special file inside the securityfs?

this is easy, the userspace library (libmalware or glibc) intercepts the
open and is invoking the scanners if the checks tell it to. they can send
the file descripter over a unix socket on the machine to a scanner daemon,
or they can invoke the scanner in the existing user context.

David Lang

2008-08-18 17:37:59

by Eric Paris

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 17:15 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On async notification we fire a message to everything that registered
> > 'simultaneously.' On blocking we fire a message to everything in
> > priority order and block until we get a response. That response should
> > be of the form ALLOW/DENY and should include "mark result"/"don't mark
> > result."
>
> No can do - you get stuck with recursive events with the virus checker
> trying to stop the indexer from indexing a worm.

My last interface was single leveled and was able to efficiently stop
recursion by simply excluding all processes which were scanners. It was
implemented as a flag in the task_struct. I could probably go the same
route and just exclude all kernel initiated scanners from all scanning
operations. I also included an interface for a process to be completely
excluded, but given multi-level scanners I don't think an 'exclude all'
is appropriate.

I could add a separate interface for background/purely userspace
scanners to register their level and only call scanners from the kernel
with a lower level. Not sure what security I'd want to put around this
interface.

> > read -> we have the ALLOW/mark result bit in core set so just allow.
>
> Don't think we need this - SELinux can do that bit
>
> > mtime update -> clear ALLOW/"mark result" bit in core, send async
> > notification to userspace
>
> Why via the kernel ?

the single in core allow/deny bit is so that the vast majority of
operations are completely free. Say we scan/index /lib/ld-linux.so.2
once. Do you really want every single read/mmap operation from then on
to have to block waiting for the userspace caches of you HSM, your AV
scanner, and you indexer? If all three tell the kernel they don't need
to see it again and that information is easy and free to maintain, lets
do it.

> > The communication with userspace has a very specific need. The scanning
> > process needs to get 'something' that will give it access to the
> > original file/inode/data being worked on. My previous patch set does
>
> file handle. Really you need to give the handle of the object because it
> may not have a name or a meaningful inode number

I think I'm going to stick with my special file in securityfs since it
makes it some simple to install the fd in the scanning process (as
opposed to netlink where I don't even know how it would be possible...)

-Eric

2008-08-18 17:39:20

by David Lang

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 17:15 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>>> read -> we have the ALLOW/mark result bit in core set so just allow.
>>
>> Don't think we need this - SELinux can do that bit
>>
>>> mtime update -> clear ALLOW/"mark result" bit in core, send async
>>> notification to userspace
>>
>> Why via the kernel ?
>
> the single in core allow/deny bit is so that the vast majority of
> operations are completely free. Say we scan/index /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> once. Do you really want every single read/mmap operation from then on
> to have to block waiting for the userspace caches of you HSM, your AV
> scanner, and you indexer? If all three tell the kernel they don't need
> to see it again and that information is easy and free to maintain, lets
> do it.

this is why the proposal caches the results of all the scanners with the
file (in the xattrs), rather then having each scanner store it's own scan
results

David Lang

2008-08-18 17:43:11

by David Collier-Brown

Alan Cox wrote:
> You need a bit more than close I imagine, otherwise I can simply keep the
> file open forever. There are lots of cases where that would be natural
> behaviour - eg if I was to attack some kind of web forum and insert a
> windows worm into the forum which was database backed the file would
> probably never be closed. That seems to be one of the more common attack
> vectors nowdays.

I suspect we're saying "on close" when what's really meant is
"opened for write". In the latter case, the notification would tell
the user-space program to watch for changes, possibly by something as
simple as doing a stat now and another when it gets around to
deciding if it should scan the file. I see lots of room for
user-space alternatives for change detection, depending on how much
state it keeps. Rsync-like, perhaps?

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest

2008-08-18 17:44:20

by Alan

> I think I'm going to stick with my special file in securityfs since it
> makes it some simple to install the fd in the scanning process (as
> opposed to netlink where I don't even know how it would be possible...)

AF_UNIX passes file handles just fine. I'm not sure netlink will help you
here anyway - isn't it lossy under load ?

Also securityfs is more special purpose magic here - what does it have to
do with a general purpose notifier API ? I'd actually generalise the
notifier properly and go for a syscall.

Alan

2008-08-18 17:48:27

by Eric Paris

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 10:29 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:
>
> > But lets talk about a real design and what people want to see.
> >
> > Userspace program needs to 'register' with a priority. HSMs would want
> > a low priority on the blocking calls AV Scanners would want a higher
> > priority and indexers would want a very high priority.
>
> why do you need to introduce a priority mechanism for notifying scanners?
> just notify them all and let them take action at their own rate for async
> notifications. if you are waiting for their result you need to invoke them
> directly, but whether you do it in order or in parallel will depend on the
> config. this is an optmization problem that the kernel should not be
> trying to figure out becouse the right answer is policy dependant (if they
> all need to bless the file for it to be accepted then fire them off in
> parallel (system resources allowing), if one accepting it is good enough
> you may want to just run that one and see if you get lucky rather then
> eating up resources of all the others)

You have some pretty serious reading comprehension problems with my
message. Try reading it all over again keeping in mind (although not
stated it was I thought understood) that the priority was only of value
during blocking calls.

> > On async notification we fire a message to everything that registered
> > 'simultaneously.' On blocking we fire a message to everything in
> > priority order and block until we get a response. That response should
> > be of the form ALLOW/DENY and should include "mark result"/"don't mark
> > result."
>
> why in the world would you block for an _async_ notification mechanism?

try reading it again.

> > If everything responds with ALLOW/"mark result" we will flip a bit IN
> > CORE so operations on that inode are free from then on. If any program
> > responds with DENY/"mark result" we will flip the negative bit IN CORE
> > so deny operations on the inode are free from then on.
>
> this requires syncronous scanning by all scanners.

yup.

> > Userspace 'scanners' if intelligent should have set a timespace in a
> > particular xattr of their choosing to do their own userspace results
> > caching to speed up things if the inode is evicted from core. This
> > means that the 'normal' flow of operations for an inode will look like:
> >
> > open -> async to userspace -> userspace scans and writes timestamp
> >
> > read -> blocking to userspace -> userspace checks xattr timestamp and
> > mtime and responds with ALLOW/"mark result"
>
> you can't trust timestamps, they go forwareds and backwords. they need to
> have some sort of 'generation id' but don't try to define meaning for it,
> leave that to the scanner. have everything else treat it as a simple "it
> matches" or "it doesn't match"

Not my problem. Userspace needs to make their own determination and
cache their own results from async scans. Kernel fires and forgets on
async. Its up to userspace to make those notifications useful if they
can help with the blocking read (open?) calls.

> > read -> we have the ALLOW/mark result bit in core set so just allow.
> >
> > mtime update -> clear ALLOW/"mark result" bit in core, send async
> > notification to userspace
>
> you keep planning to do this with a single allow mark. it may not be that
> simple.
>
> > close -> send async notification to userspace
>
> as several others have noted, alerting on close is not good enough, we
> need to alert on the scanned->dirty transition (by the way, this
> contridicts the part of your message I snipped where you were advocating
> notification on every write)

Is it really that hard to understand what I'm saying? We notified on
mtime update and cleared the "mark result". Why shouldn't we notify on
close?

> > If some general xattr namespace is agreed upon for such a thing someday
> > a patch may be acceptable to clear that namespace on mtime update, but I
> > don't plan to do that at this time since comparing the timestamp in the
> > xattr vs mtime should be good enough.
>
> if you are already accessing xattrs, why not just use the value rather
> then trying to make it into a time?

I'm not accessing anything. I'm leaving xattrs as an exercise of
efficiency for people who want to write a userspace scanner. Not my
problem.

> > ******************************
> >
> > Great, how to build this interface. THIS IS WHAT I ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT
> >
> > The communication with userspace has a very specific need. The scanning
> > process needs to get 'something' that will give it access to the
> > original file/inode/data being worked on. My previous patch set does
> > this with a special securityfs file. Scanners would block on 'read.'
> > This block was waiting for something to be scanned and when available a
> > dentry_open() was called in the context of the scanner for the inode in
> > question. This means that the fd in the scanner had to be the same data
> > as the fd in the original process.
>
> having scanners access a file blocking on read won't work for multiple
> scanners (unless you are going to create multiple files for them to read)

WHAT?

> > If people want me to use something like netlink to send async
> > notifications to the scanner how do I also get the file/inode/data to
> > the scanning process? Can anyone think of a better/cleaner method to
> > get a file descriptor into the context of the scanner other than having
> > the scanner block/poll on a special file inside the securityfs?
>
> this is easy, the userspace library (libmalware or glibc) intercepts the
> open and is invoking the scanners if the checks tell it to. they can send
> the file descripter over a unix socket on the machine to a scanner daemon,
> or they can invoke the scanner in the existing user context.

But, I have code for my solution that addresses just about every problem
mentioned on list so far except for multi priority blockers. Where is
your code?

-Eric

2008-08-18 17:57:38

by Eric Paris

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 18:25 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I think I'm going to stick with my special file in securityfs since it
> > makes it some simple to install the fd in the scanning process (as
> > opposed to netlink where I don't even know how it would be possible...)
>
> AF_UNIX passes file handles just fine. I'm not sure netlink will help you
> here anyway - isn't it lossy under load ?

But the file being installed needs to be at least RD for AV/Indexer.
Particularly of interest to people here would be a file opened O_WRONLY
and then the indexer wouldn't have the ability to read the data that was
just written. So we need a new FD, can't just send the old one.

I'd also assume that an HSM would need a WR file descriptor, which isn't
easy. I've found that (through trial and error not understanding the
code) trying to make new descriptors for the new process have WR often
returned with ETXTBUSY....

I think I might just give RO file descriptors and if an HSM comes along
work with them to get WR fd's working....

> Also securityfs is more special purpose magic here - what does it have to
> do with a general purpose notifier API ? I'd actually generalise the
> notifier properly and go for a syscall.

Well, securityfs is really just a location for a bunch of interfaces.
The real 'magic' is that I defined my own read and write functions on a
special inode.

Lets assume a new syscall (and I know you tried to describe this too me
before but I can't remember it and I'm having some e-mail history
trouble) what would it look like? A scanner constantly calls scan() to
block for data to be scanned? So an AV, HSM, or indexer all would be
blocking in scan() just waiting for data? How do they respond? How is
it better, cleaner, or more general than a 'special' file they
read/write?

-Eric

2008-08-18 18:10:02

by David Lang

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 10:29 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:
>>
>>> ******************************
>>>
>>> Great, how to build this interface. THIS IS WHAT I ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT
>>>
>>> The communication with userspace has a very specific need. The scanning
>>> process needs to get 'something' that will give it access to the
>>> original file/inode/data being worked on. My previous patch set does
>>> this with a special securityfs file. Scanners would block on 'read.'
>>> This block was waiting for something to be scanned and when available a
>>> dentry_open() was called in the context of the scanner for the inode in
>>> question. This means that the fd in the scanner had to be the same data
>>> as the fd in the original process.
>>
>> having scanners access a file blocking on read won't work for multiple
>> scanners (unless you are going to create multiple files for them to read)
>
> WHAT?

if you have multiple things reading from a pipe only one will get any one
message, right?

David Lang

2008-08-18 18:11:38

by Alan

> I suspect we're saying "on close" when what's really meant is
> "opened for write". In the latter case, the notification would tell
> the user-space program to watch for changes, possibly by something as
> simple as doing a stat now and another when it gets around to

Or more precisely perhaps "on the file becoming dirty". A program that
opens for write, computes for an hour and writes out doesn't want to load
events down until it begins writing.

I agree "on close" is inaccurate for the scanner cases and that is why
we've been talking about events + a close time event.

> deciding if it should scan the file. I see lots of room for
> user-space alternatives for change detection, depending on how much
> state it keeps. Rsync-like, perhaps?

Agreed.

2008-08-18 18:13:55

by David Lang

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, David Collier-Brown wrote:

> tvrtko.ursulin wrote:
>>> Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
>>> explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance but
>>> because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
>>> modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural point,
>>> unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other have
>>> suggested time delay and lumping up.
>
> Alan Cox wrote:
>> You need a bit more than close I imagine, otherwise I can simply keep the
>> file open forever. There are lots of cases where that would be natural
>> behaviour - eg if I was to attack some kind of web forum and insert a
>> windows worm into the forum which was database backed the file would
>> probably never be closed. That seems to be one of the more common attack
>> vectors nowdays.
>
> I suspect we're saying "on close" when what's really meant is
> "opened for write". In the latter case, the notification would tell
> the user-space program to watch for changes, possibly by something as
> simple as doing a stat now and another when it gets around to deciding if it
> should scan the file. I see lots of room for
> user-space alternatives for change detection, depending on how much
> state it keeps. Rsync-like, perhaps?

trying to have every scanner program monitor every file that any program
opens for write by doing periodic stat commands on it sounds like a very
inefficiant process (and unless they then get notified on close as well,
how do they know when to stop monitoring?)

getting a notification on the transition from scanned -> dirty is much
less of a load (yes, it does leave open the possiblilty of a file getting
scanned multiple times as it keeps getting dirtied, but that's a policy
question of how aggressive the scanner is set to be in scanning files)

David Lang

2008-08-18 18:34:25

by Eric Paris

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 13:54 -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 18:25 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > I think I'm going to stick with my special file in securityfs since it
> > > makes it some simple to install the fd in the scanning process (as
> > > opposed to netlink where I don't even know how it would be possible...)
> >
> > AF_UNIX passes file handles just fine. I'm not sure netlink will help you
> > here anyway - isn't it lossy under load ?
>
> But the file being installed needs to be at least RD for AV/Indexer.
> Particularly of interest to people here would be a file opened O_WRONLY
> and then the indexer wouldn't have the ability to read the data that was
> just written. So we need a new FD, can't just send the old one.

Also not knowing much about sending FD's over AF_UNIX sockets, do they
share the same seek offsets or does the new process get a new fd which
points to the same data? I wouldn't want to have to count on the
indexer to not move the offset around on the bittorrent client. Like I
said, haven't never used sendmsg to pass a socket I don't know what you
get on the other end.

-Eric

2008-08-18 18:36:21

by Jan Harkes

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 01:54:57PM -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
> But the file being installed needs to be at least RD for AV/Indexer.
> Particularly of interest to people here would be a file opened O_WRONLY
> and then the indexer wouldn't have the ability to read the data that was
> just written. So we need a new FD, can't just send the old one.
>
> I'd also assume that an HSM would need a WR file descriptor, which isn't
> easy. I've found that (through trial and error not understanding the
> code) trying to make new descriptors for the new process have WR often
> returned with ETXTBUSY....

The devil is in the details, and besides everyone trying to heap other
things on, one thing that keeps getting brought up, and seemingly keeps
getting ignored is the fact that there already is a perfectly reasonable
interface to pass file system events (open, close, read, write, etc) to
userspace applications in the form of FUSE which has already in some
ways solved issues wrt. subtle deadlocks that can happen when you bounce
from an in-kernel context to a userspace application.

Fuse is definitely the way to go for HSM. But even for one of the
various threat models I've read in the past couple of days it would be
perfect. i.e. not allowing Linux servers to be used as a means to
propagate viruses for other machines.

The trick is to have a scanned view on the file storage though a FUSE
mount, and then have samba/knfs/apache/etc. export only the fuse mounted
tree or chroot the daemons under the scanned part of the namespace. This
provides an excellent way to separate 'trusted' applications from
non-trusted by leveraging the namespace. In fact the raw data can easily
be stored in such a way that it is owned and accessible only by fuse's
userspace process (and root) so that even without chroot, local users
can only access the data through the fuse mount/scanning layer.

And the kernel parts are already implemented, doesn't require new
syscalls, or placing policy about which processes happen to be
'priviledged' in the kernel and solves several nasty deadlocks that can
happen when you start blocking processes in their open, close, read,
write or page faulting code paths.

> trouble) what would it look like? A scanner constantly calls scan() to
> block for data to be scanned? So an AV, HSM, or indexer all would be
> blocking in scan() just waiting for data? How do they respond? How is

They all block at different places because they all have very different
requirements.

HSM blocks in open before the file data is present because that still
needs to be fetched. AV scan blocks after the file data is accessible
but before returning to the application and the indexer only cares about
being notified after a open for write/mmap releases the last (writing)
reference to the file, since it seems to me to be quite useless indexing
not yet or partially written data.

As far as I am concerned, this thread has been going nowhere fast by
mixing up the various requirements that come from different possible
applications that people imagine this interface being used for. As far
as I was hoping, part of "defining the threat model" line of questioning
was to avoid having discussions spin into the realm of how even with all
the protections someone could still subvert the virus scanner by
bit-flipping memory state with a scanning tunneling microscope or
something.

Jan

2008-08-18 18:36:43

by Eric Paris

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 11:09 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> if you have multiple things reading from a pipe only one will get any one
> message, right?

S_ISREG() ? We're talking about file scanning not communication
interception. Arjan strongly wanted me to push this down to read, but I
still planned to not look at lnks, dirs, chars, blocks, fifos and
sockets...

2008-08-18 18:48:56

by Eric Paris

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 14:35 -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:

> The devil is in the details, and besides everyone trying to heap other
> things on, one thing that keeps getting brought up, and seemingly keeps
> getting ignored is the fact that there already is a perfectly reasonable
> interface to pass file system events (open, close, read, write, etc) to
> userspace applications in the form of FUSE which has already in some
> ways solved issues wrt. subtle deadlocks that can happen when you bounce
> from an in-kernel context to a userspace application.

Can you help me write/prototype something that will work for every
regular file anywhere on the system including the kernel binary
in /boot, the glibc libraries in /lib/ld-linux.so, /sbin/ldconfig and
every file on every USB stick you put into the machine? When all of
these are on separate partitions? Every file under / needs to be
exported to the scanner. I'm very willing to believe fuse is the way to
go for an HSM, but I don't see how to get every single file on the
system through the FUSE based scanner.

Yes propagation is an important use of file scanning (maybe the
biggest), but we clearly can't secure every part of the border, and I
don't know how to use fuse to do it all rather than just pieces and
parts.

You're absolutely right about this thread droning on. But I've got code
that solves the problems. If someone else shows me better code rather
than talk I'm all for it!

-Eric

2008-08-18 19:07:49

by David Lang

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 14:35 -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
>
>> The devil is in the details, and besides everyone trying to heap other
>> things on, one thing that keeps getting brought up, and seemingly keeps
>> getting ignored is the fact that there already is a perfectly reasonable
>> interface to pass file system events (open, close, read, write, etc) to
>> userspace applications in the form of FUSE which has already in some
>> ways solved issues wrt. subtle deadlocks that can happen when you bounce
>> from an in-kernel context to a userspace application.
>
> Can you help me write/prototype something that will work for every
> regular file anywhere on the system including the kernel binary
> in /boot, the glibc libraries in /lib/ld-linux.so, /sbin/ldconfig and
> every file on every USB stick you put into the machine? When all of
> these are on separate partitions? Every file under / needs to be
> exported to the scanner. I'm very willing to believe fuse is the way to
> go for an HSM, but I don't see how to get every single file on the
> system through the FUSE based scanner.
>
> Yes propagation is an important use of file scanning (maybe the
> biggest), but we clearly can't secure every part of the border, and I
> don't know how to use fuse to do it all rather than just pieces and
> parts.
>
> You're absolutely right about this thread droning on. But I've got code
> that solves the problems. If someone else shows me better code rather
> than talk I'm all for it!

the issue is that the kernel developers are not that interested in
creating one-off interfaces for anti-virus scanners. If the interfaces are
more general and able to be used for a wider variety of problems they are
much more interested in having them implemented.

unfortunantly you went off and developed a bunch of code before talking to
people about what the appropriate interfaces would look like, (this is a
common problem, see the 'how to participate in the kernel' document at
http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/book/how-participate-linux-community)

David Lang

2008-08-18 19:14:45

by Alan

> Also not knowing much about sending FD's over AF_UNIX sockets, do they
> share the same seek offsets or does the new process get a new fd which

They share the seek offset.

> points to the same data? I wouldn't want to have to count on the
> indexer to not move the offset around on the bittorrent client. Like I
> said, haven't never used sendmsg to pass a socket I don't know what you
> get on the other end.

man pread(). The posix committee long ago figured out that you needed a
sane way not to get involved with offsets even between processes or in
threaded apps.

Alan

2008-08-18 19:34:14

by Jan Harkes

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 02:46:16PM -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 14:35 -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > The devil is in the details, and besides everyone trying to heap other
> > things on, one thing that keeps getting brought up, and seemingly keeps
> > getting ignored is the fact that there already is a perfectly reasonable
> > interface to pass file system events (open, close, read, write, etc) to
> > userspace applications in the form of FUSE which has already in some
> > ways solved issues wrt. subtle deadlocks that can happen when you bounce
> > from an in-kernel context to a userspace application.
>
> Can you help me write/prototype something that will work for every
> regular file anywhere on the system including the kernel binary

Going back to your own email,

| From: Eric Paris <[email protected]>
| Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:36:15 -0400
| Subject: TALPA - a threat model? well sorta.
| The value of a file scanning interface is not in stopping active
| attacks. Its in making the Linux platform a more difficult location for
| the storage and propagation of bad data. I think its reasonable to
| think that we all agree we don't want to be the preferred hosting
| platforms for trojan binaries intended to attack other non-Linux
| systems. Why would one want consciencely choose to leave Linux as a
| safe haven for the existence of malware? Even though the malware is not
| attacking the Linux platform do we as the Linux community really want to
| be a breeding and hosting ground as long as the costs are not too high?

This is the threat model I addressed in my email. So now you change the
model to something where the malware is in fact attacking the Linux
platform? Well ok, I'll bite.

> in /boot, the glibc libraries in /lib/ld-linux.so, /sbin/ldconfig and
> every file on every USB stick you put into the machine? When all of
> these are on separate partitions? Every file under / needs to be
> exported to the scanner. I'm very willing to believe fuse is the way to
> go for an HSM, but I don't see how to get every single file on the
> system through the FUSE based scanner.

Have a modified initrd which contains fuse and the scanner and when
mounting the root file system also start the scanner + fuse mount, and
then instead of pivoting into the root-fs, pivot into the fuse mounted
one.

Of course that doesn't yet deal with non-root disks or external devices
that are mounted later on. This would require a modified mount sequence
so that the mount action is completed by a daemon that is running in the
trusted root next to the scanning process so that the new mountpoint is
correctly placed underneath the scanning layer. Maybe it it possible to
start a new fuse/scanning process for every mount as well, but then you
may get some things scanned multiple times because the scanner in the
lower layer ends up having to verify/validate the actions of the
scanners in higher layers.

But at some point it really is just an excerise in who or what you
trust. Because if you at least are willing to trust that the root disk
has not been compromised and the system is allowed to boot then it
would be possible to modify just the mount binary to mount the untrusted
file system in a place that is not accessible for non-priviledged users
and mount the fuse loopback in the requested location. And because mount
is modified it can 'pretend' there is no fuse layer when it updates
/etc/mtab.

As you can tell, in my scenario I do need a modified mount binary and
possibly modified initrd depending on the level of paranoia.

> You're absolutely right about this thread droning on. But I've got code
> that solves the problems. If someone else shows me better code rather
> than talk I'm all for it!

Not sure if it is better code, I just happened to see it while looking
if I could find the example fuse loopback filesystem code on-line, but
here you go,

http://clamfs.sourceforge.net/

Jan

2008-08-18 22:39:56

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 02:15:24PM +0100, [email protected]
> wrote:
> > > Then there is still a question of who allows some binary to declare
> itself
> > > exempt. If that decision was a mistake, or it gets compromised
> security
> > > will be off. A very powerful mechanism which must not be easily
> > > accessible. With a good cache your worries go away even without a
> scheme
> > > like this.
> >
> > I have one word for you --- bittorrent. If you are downloading a very
> > large torrent (say approximately a gigabyte), and it contains many
> > pdf's that are say a few megabytes a piece, and things are coming in
> > tribbles, having either a indexing scanner or an AV scanner wake up
> > and rescan the file from scratch each time a tiny piece of the pdf
> > comes in is going to eat your machine alive....
>
> Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
> explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance but
> because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
> modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural point,
> unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other
> have

Why do you think non-malicious applications won't write after close /
keep file open forever?
Pavel

by Eric Paris

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 00:40 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > itself
> > security
> > scheme
> > >
> > > I have one word for you --- bittorrent. If you are downloading a very
> > > large torrent (say approximately a gigabyte), and it contains many
> > > pdf's that are say a few megabytes a piece, and things are coming in
> > > tribbles, having either a indexing scanner or an AV scanner wake up
> > > and rescan the file from scratch each time a tiny piece of the pdf
> > > comes in is going to eat your machine alive....
> >
> > Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
> > explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance but
> > because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
> > modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural point,
> > unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other
> > have
>
> Why do you think non-malicious applications won't write after close /
> keep file open forever?

If you ask this one more time without reading the many times I've
answered these questions I think I'm going to explode.

Permissions checks are done on open/read. Decisions are invalidated at
mtime update, which INCLUDES mmap after close! I don't care if you keep
your file open forever, if you wrote to it, we are just going to scan it
next time a process decided to open/read it. Please stop confusing this
already long and almost pointless thread with implementation details
that have repeatedly been explained.

-Eric

2008-08-19 01:16:38

by Peter Dolding

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Eric Paris <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 00:40 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
>> Hi!

>> > itself
>> > security
>> > scheme

>> > Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
>> > explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance but
>> > because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
>> > modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural point,
>> > unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other
>> > have
>>
>> Why do you think non-malicious applications won't write after close /
>> keep file open forever?
>
> If you ask this one more time without reading the many times I've
> answered these questions I think I'm going to explode.
>
> Permissions checks are done on open/read. Decisions are invalidated at
> mtime update, which INCLUDES mmap after close! I don't care if you keep
> your file open forever, if you wrote to it, we are just going to scan it
> next time a process decided to open/read it. Please stop confusing this
> already long and almost pointless thread with implementation details
> that have repeatedly been explained.

You will see latter where what you just said fails and its issue is
preventable too downloader with build in previewer.

Funny enough solution to this is fairly simple. But does require
looking at a white list methods and LSM.

Two major ways. White list format check method tells you that file
is not complete enough so black list scanning is not required yet. Ok
lighter than running 5000 black list signatures over it each time a
new block gets added.

Unfortunately scan of all pieces as them come in for possible threat
still has to be done reason on videos and the like people in some
applications start playing them before the download is complete.
Lots of video and audio formats have blocks that can be cleared piece
by piece. Just like a bittorrent can scan and pass block by block so
does a white list scanner need to be able to. More creative use can
be void block insert into some formats. Ie part downloaded block at
X replaced with a equal to blank block to the player that is external
to the download tool. This is damaged data access prevention.
Nicely prevents some stability issues and gives users extra features.

White list scanner knowing the format can detect when enough segments
are in a file to run a black list scan avoiding jack hammering the cpu
eating black list scan.

Dealing with bittorrent clients with built in preview is a pain in the
you know what. Since are they reading the file to send to someone
else are they reading the file to display in there internal viewer or
do they take straight from there download buffer to internal view.
Even worse lots of bittorrent streams are encrypted and cannot be
scanned while network packets. So second solution required a LSM
around the downloader preventing it in case of breach being able to go
anywhere in the system. LSM only allows access to files that the
downloader has downloaded by other applications with more rights when
its pasted White list and needed black list scanning.

Getting this to work without using white list of known format method
and LSM is basically imposable because a black list is going to take
far to much cpu time scanning incomplete files.

This is one of the reasons why the system is 4 tech groups. HIDS,
white list methods, black list methods and LSM. Without all 4 you
are stuffed trying to make a prevention system work because you will
get snagged somewhere trying to cover all setups and events. A
combination is required some setups can get away without the black
list. There are many points where current black list methods are
flawed or hurt way too much.

Some of these will require looking at two extra tech groups. 1 being
intergation into applications. 2 providing apis for applications to
do particular protocols and blocking out direct network access other
than threw those apis.

Lot of windows anti-virus people are way too focused on black list.
White list might annoy you from time to time but it can also grant
features that users may not want to give up.

Peter Dolding

2008-08-19 08:10:04

by Douglas Leeder

[email protected] wrote on 2008-08-19 02:15:49:

> You will see latter where what you just said fails and its issue is
> preventable too downloader with build in previewer.
>
> Funny enough solution to this is fairly simple. But does require
> looking at a white list methods and LSM.
>
> Two major ways. White list format check method tells you that file
> is not complete enough so black list scanning is not required yet. Ok
> lighter than running 5000 black list signatures over it each time a
> new block gets added.

You seem to have some very funny ideas about what white-listing and
black-listing
scanners do.

Checking filetypes and checking for complete/non-corrupt files is
something
black-listing scanners do.

Where-as whitelisting:
"An emerging approach in combating viruses and malware is to whitelist
software which is considered safe to run, blocking all others"

While ensure media files are complete could be done by a scanner that
also does white-listing, I don't think it's a core part.

> Dealing with bittorrent clients with built in preview is a pain in the
> you know what. Since are they reading the file to send to someone
> else are they reading the file to display in there internal viewer or
> do they take straight from there download buffer to internal view.
> Even worse lots of bittorrent streams are encrypted and cannot be
> scanned while network packets. So second solution required a LSM
> around the downloader preventing it in case of breach being able to go
> anywhere in the system. LSM only allows access to files that the
> downloader has downloaded by other applications with more rights when
> its pasted White list and needed black list scanning.

So?

We not talking about throwing away LSM, or replacing it in any way.

This discussion is about an additional scanning path, for files, for any
kind of content-based
scanning.

> Getting this to work without using white list of known format method
> and LSM is basically imposable because a black list is going to take
> far to much cpu time scanning incomplete files.

So?

> Lot of windows anti-virus people are way too focused on black list.
> White list might annoy you from time to time but it can also grant
> features that users may not want to give up.

The thing is Windows has had built-in white-listing for a long
time, and yet there is still a market for AV scanners, this suggests
people don't like white-listing.

Also consider all of the problems and criticism Vista's UAC has had. And
UAC is
only white-listing privileged operations.

--
Douglas Leeder

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.

2008-08-19 08:42:18

by Tvrtko Ursulin

[email protected] wrote on 18/08/2008 18:07:30:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote on 18/08/2008 15:25:11:

> > itself
> > security
> > scheme
> >>
> >> I have one word for you --- bittorrent. If you are downloading a
very
> >> large torrent (say approximately a gigabyte), and it contains many
> >> pdf's that are say a few megabytes a piece, and things are coming in
> >> tribbles, having either a indexing scanner or an AV scanner wake up
> >> and rescan the file from scratch each time a tiny piece of the pdf
> >> comes in is going to eat your machine alive....
> >
> > Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
> > explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance
but
> > because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
> > modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural
point,
> > unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other have
> > suggested time delay and lumping up.
> >
> > Also, just to double-check, you don't think AV scanning would read the
> > whole file on every write?
>
> if it doesn't read the entire file and only reads the parts that change,

> out-of-order writes (which bittorrent does a _lot_ of) can assemble a
> virus from pieces and the scanner will never see it.

No, it would catch it once it gets assembled. It doesn't read the parts
that change but parts which it finds interesting.

> as for Ted's issue, the scanner(s) would get notified when the file was
> dirtied, they would then get notified if something scanned the file and
it
> was marked dirty again after that. If nothing got around to scanning the

> file then all the following writes would not send any notification
becouse
> the file would already be dirty.

This sound like a good strategy.

--
Tvrtko A. Ursulin
Senior Software Engineer, Sophos

"Views and opinions expressed in this email are strictly those of the
author.
The contents has not been reviewed or approved by Sophos."

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.

2008-08-19 11:09:18

by Peter Dolding

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 6:09 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote on 2008-08-19 02:15:49:
>
>> You will see latter where what you just said fails and its issue is
>> preventable too downloader with build in previewer.
>>
>> Funny enough solution to this is fairly simple. But does require
>> looking at a white list methods and LSM.
>>
>> Two major ways. White list format check method tells you that file
>> is not complete enough so black list scanning is not required yet. Ok
>> lighter than running 5000 black list signatures over it each time a
>> new block gets added.
>

> You seem to have some very funny ideas about what white-listing and
> black-listing
> scanners do.
>
> Checking filetypes and checking for complete/non-corrupt files is
> something
> black-listing scanners do.
Pure Black List don't. Pure Black List is looking for a known threat
that is the end of there skill.

Lot of current black list scanners are hybred. They are using known
format white list sorting there databases. Basically they are using
white list methods without admitting it.

> Where-as whitelisting:
> "An emerging approach in combating viruses and malware is to whitelist
> software which is considered safe to run, blocking all others"
>
> While ensure media files are complete could be done by a scanner that
> also does white-listing, I don't think it's a core part.

You are missing something critical. Really critical. There are such
things as Heuristic White List scanner.

Heuristic White List scanners are something you use on document
archives or for faster sorting out of a system breached by a unknown
somewhere in a stack of document files.

Major diff between Heuristic Black List and Heuristic White List. Is
that Heuristic White List does not contain threats. Instead
Heuristic White List contains knowledge about the formats is
processing and allowed exceptions alone. So a doc file containing a
macro would be thrown out as a threat by a Heuristic White List unless
the Macro in the doc is included in the list of exceptions.

You find that Heuristic White List's are operating inside a lot of the
black list systems. Reason with out it there threat processing would
simply unable to be done.

The damaged file detection in current day AV's is not black list its
white list people have mixed the two techs and want to forget the
divide.

Forced to used yet then they wrap what the white list system finds
away from the user. Basically on the idea if they give you notice you
will do the wrong thing. Anti-Virus companies are basically taking
the attitude to white lists is use but never show to user.

Truly operating Heuristic White List knowing file formats when it
detects something questionable gives users a few options. Access
document without threat ie produce new copy of doc with macro striped,
Run past a black list for that kind of threat, quarantine or delete
it. Current AV auto set the run past black list from their Heuristic
White List.

This current auto pathing into black list has quite a few downsides.
Black List section is going to get longer so one day processing time
will be too much again. No way to work around signature not being
released in time.

Heuristic White List is one of the few things that can close the gap
on the black list system simple quarantine the file if user don't need
it straight up user can choose to wait a week/month before scanning it
with up to date signatures even better with like doc files and lots of
others with embeded macros lots of them document is still accessible
with it striped. So the issue of a black list signature turning up
1 hour after getting the file will no longer be a problem for
everyone. Users could even get use to delaying macros and exe's as
status normal in time.

Notice the effect on doc viruses when word started asking users if
they wanted to run macros. This is a heuristic white list method.
You know there could be a threat you ask user if it is what they
expect. This has had a far great effect on doc file viruses than any
doc related black list virus entry. It got out of the race between
attacker and black list.

White List methods are far more developed and embedded in a lot of
locations people are blind to them. People have got use to thinking
twice when a document asks them to allow macros. Anyone guess the
problem here with auto black list processing. File has been scanned
against a black list even if the user will never use the macro. What
a waste of CPU time if there was a virus in that file it would have
never got life.

Heuristic White List embeded in online clients for incoming and out
going truly allows people to swap files with 100 percent trust. If
the white list allows the format because it contains nothing that no
matter how fine could be a threat. Black Listing can never be used
to offer trust over the internet.

Heuristic White List scanners date from before 1994 when I first come
across them. Major issue then was too many formats closed spec this
has changed. "emerging approach" that is crap. Its been a hidden
approach that AV companies and others don't want to have to admit they
are using and that has proven itself far more effective than any black
list. In combination with black list if the balance is right gets the
best results. Currently all anti-virus software has the balance
wrong for most effective protection. Also by not providing it to
users as a option is really lack of responsibility. Lot of cases
business email and archive document storage could be covered against
viruses by a pure white list system striping all possible threats.
Effectively blocking 100 percent of all viruses threw that path in or
out due to business following standard of not archiving macros or
sending macros. Yes its going to remove a little too much at times.

UAC is poor design. selinux also white lists privileged operations.
catch is it remembers between reboots and does not ask user over and
over and over again for the same approvals. That is UAC failing no
memory. White list + memory is required so it don't drive users up
wall. This of course is a balance again if the remembering of the UAC
like system is wrong it gets abused. Lot of firewalls got this right
for permissions as well bug the user a lot a first after programmed
don't bug user much. This is exactly the same job as UAC except on
networking and most operate by a white list method.

Its wrong that users hate white listing its how the white listing is done.

A black list anti-virus false positive on stacks on stacks of files it
should not be will also drive user up wall. Either the design
functions right or it not and it has nothing todo with black list or
white list both can be screwed up in design.

White listing is heavily used without upsetting users. Ok may upset
users at first but test of time says they will get use to it and treat
it as normal. Do you need someone with a lot of IT history knowledge
and knowledge of different protection designs?

Peter Dolding

2008-08-20 02:45:27

by David Lang

Subject: Re: [malware-list] scanner interface proposal was: [TALPA] Intro linux interface for for access scanning

Having talked with Eric a bit more it looks like we have some fairly
fundamentally different views on the scope of how this sort of thing would
be used and that is causing us to talk about different things.

we are both looking at the threat model of trying to provide hooks so that
data is scanned before allowing programs to use it (neither of us is
talking about trying to do LSM things). where we differ is the uses we
expect the hooks to be put to.

please note that I am trying to state Erics position, I may be mistaken.

Eric is viewing this through the AV point of view,
this means

He doesn't expect there to be many scanners on a system
initally he was only thinking of one.

He expects the interactions between the scanners to be simple (i.e. all
scanners must bless a file or it's considered bad)
the policy is simple and will always be the same

He expect AV signatures to change rapidly
so storing the results of scans is of very limited value

He is expecting the scanning software to set the policy
so there is no reason to have a system/distro defined policy

He is thinking that any ability to avoid doing the scan is a security
hole.

these things are leading him to the kernel-based implementation that he
posted.

I am seeing things (I think) a bit more broadly (definantly differently).

I think that the availability of a general 'this file was written to'
interface in the kernel combined with 'take action before opening' will
lead to many uses beyond AV work.
these include things like filesystem indexers, HSM systems, backup
software as well as security scanners (IDS, 'tripwire', as well as AV)

I expect to see IDS type scanners, possibly multiple ones on a machine,
each fairly simple and not trying to do a complete job, but authoritative
within it's area.
this means that the interaction between approvals is more complex and
not something that should be coded into the kernel, it should be
configured in userspace.

becouse of things like indexers, backups, and IDS type I see great value
in storing the fact that a file was scanned across reboots for some users
(other users may not want to trust the system without re-scanning it after
a reboot in case the files were changed)

In an enterprise environment I can see value in having much of the
scanning done by one system and trusted by other systems
this pushes for permanent, disk-based caching of scan results

I expect the distro/sysadmin to set the policy, in part becouse I expect
to see multiple scanners and the thought of each of them setting system
policy seemd a recipe for problems.

As part of the overall policy settings I think that there are cases where
it's appropriate for many programs to not have the files scanned before
accessing them (trivial examples for non-HSM environments, wc, tar, file,
backup software)
while this can open security holes, so can setting permissions and LSM
configs. getting this right is part of the responsibility of the sysadmin
(and the distro has the responsibility of giving the sysadmin reasonably
sane defaults to start from)

these things are leading me to advocate using xattr as the result cache
(so it will survive reboots), and userspace libraries for the hooks into
open/read/mmap/etc (to allow for the more complex policies that I expect
to see)

Eric has one other significant advantage, he has produced code, and is
presumably payed to work on this (based on his posts and @redhat address)

I am a user/tester advocating a design that I think is superior, but am
not likly to end up being the one to code it. besides the time involved, I
consider myself a decent programmer, but don't consider myself to be ready
to tackle this sort of task (either the kernel hooks or the userspace
library hooks).

At this point I think opinions are needed for how generalized these hooks
should be, and how difficult it should be for things on a system to be
configured to bypass the scans.

thoughts?

David Lang

2008-08-20 15:16:16

by Eric Paris

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 19:44 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> please note that I am trying to state Erics position, I may be mistaken.

you did pretty well.

> He expect AV signatures to change rapidly
> so storing the results of scans is of very limited value

Not quite. I believe it should be the responsibility of the scanner to
determine how and if they want to store the results of the scan. I'm
willing (and want) to provide a simplistic kernel fast path if all of
the scanners agree to use it.

> He is expecting the scanning software to set the policy
> so there is no reason to have a system/distro defined policy

I'm not sure of the definition of this 'policy' but, yes, I think all
scanners should make their own decisions in their own little bubble.

> I am seeing things (I think) a bit more broadly (definantly differently).
>
> I think that the availability of a general 'this file was written to'
> interface in the kernel combined with 'take action before opening' will
> lead to many uses beyond AV work.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a separate async notification system
for open/mtime change/close which will be a fire and forget notification
system with no access control mechanism.

A second, although very similar, mechanism will block on read/mmap
(although I'm not so sure how to handle O_NONBLOCK without a kernel
fastpath/inode marking that actually gets used, this is really a serious
design issue with putting this at read/mmap. I don't think we are ready
to give up on O_NONBLOCK for S_ISREG altogether just yet are we?) and
provide access control. I also plan to include open() in the
blocking/access control based on a /proc tunable. If applications can't
handle EPERM at read/mmap they can get it at open and suffer the
perf/blocking hit needlessly on open/stat sequences.

> I expect to see IDS type scanners, possibly multiple ones on a machine,
> each fairly simple and not trying to do a complete job, but authoritative
> within it's area.
> this means that the interaction between approvals is more complex and
> not something that should be coded into the kernel, it should be
> configured in userspace.

I don't understand how something can be 'authoritative within it's area'
and still have a 'complex interaction policy.' I see it as, either yes
means yes and no means no, or it isn't authoritative.

If two scanners need some complex interaction it certainly needs to be
in userspace, no question there. Sounds like a dispatcher daemon needs
to get the notification from the kernel and send them to the scanners
and then let it do all sorts of magic and sprinkling of pixie dust
before the daemon return an answer to the kernel. In the end that
deamon is the authoritative thing. I don't plan to write it since I
don't see the need, but the possibility of writing a dispatcher daemon
certainly exists if there is actually need.

Everything says yes at read/mmap we allow. Anything says no we deny.
You need more than that write an intermediary daemon in userspace to
govern that interaction.

> becouse of things like indexers, backups, and IDS type I see great value
> in storing the fact that a file was scanned across reboots for some users
> (other users may not want to trust the system without re-scanning it after
> a reboot in case the files were changed)

My answer is that if they want to store whatever it is they care about
across boots so the scanner can write an xattr to help. I believe that
all scanners are going to need/want to have some for of userspace
caching. I plan to provide a fastpath in kernel scanners can make use
of, but anything more complex should be a completely userspace solution
and should be able to be built on what I provide at a later time.

> Eric has one other significant advantage, he has produced code, and is
> presumably payed to work on this (based on his posts and @redhat address)

Not paid much :)

2008-08-20 17:34:27

by David Lang

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 19:44 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> please note that I am trying to state Erics position, I may be mistaken.
>
> you did pretty well.

thanks.

>> I expect to see IDS type scanners, possibly multiple ones on a machine,
>> each fairly simple and not trying to do a complete job, but authoritative
>> within it's area.
>> this means that the interaction between approvals is more complex and
>> not something that should be coded into the kernel, it should be
>> configured in userspace.
>
> I don't understand how something can be 'authoritative within it's area'
> and still have a 'complex interaction policy.' I see it as, either yes
> means yes and no means no, or it isn't authoritative.

as an example.

if the system package manager says the syslogd binary doesn't match the
checksum that it has recorded should it be prevented from running? (a
strict policy would say no, but the sysadmin may have recompiled that one
binary and just wants a warning to be logged somewhere, not preventing the
process from running)

what happens if scanner A (AV scanner) says that a binary has a virus in
it, but scanner B (IDS scanner checkins checksums) says that it's the
right version? what mechanism do you have to say that a yes from scanner B
overrides a no from scanner A?

> If two scanners need some complex interaction it certainly needs to be
> in userspace, no question there. Sounds like a dispatcher daemon needs
> to get the notification from the kernel and send them to the scanners
> and then let it do all sorts of magic and sprinkling of pixie dust
> before the daemon return an answer to the kernel. In the end that
> deamon is the authoritative thing. I don't plan to write it since I
> don't see the need, but the possibility of writing a dispatcher daemon
> certainly exists if there is actually need.

that could work, the need to have the userspace daemon to do the more
complex things was part of what was pushing me to think in terms of
userspace hooks for open/read/mmap/etc instead of kernelspace hooks
(avoiding the context switches you mentioned in an earlier message becouse
you start in userspace)

> Everything says yes at read/mmap we allow. Anything says no we deny.
> You need more than that write an intermediary daemon in userspace to
> govern that interaction.
>
>> becouse of things like indexers, backups, and IDS type I see great value
>> in storing the fact that a file was scanned across reboots for some users
>> (other users may not want to trust the system without re-scanning it after
>> a reboot in case the files were changed)
>
> My answer is that if they want to store whatever it is they care about
> across boots so the scanner can write an xattr to help. I believe that
> all scanners are going to need/want to have some for of userspace
> caching. I plan to provide a fastpath in kernel scanners can make use
> of, but anything more complex should be a completely userspace solution
> and should be able to be built on what I provide at a later time.

without the kernel support to clear the flags when the file is dirtied how
can these programs trust the xattr flags that say they scanned the file
before?

you also mention using mtime, I don't think that's granular enough. we
already have people running into problems during compiles with fast
machines not being able to detect that a file has changed by the mtime.

I'm not saying that xattr is the only way to store the info, it just seems
like a convienient place to store them without having to create a
completely new API or changing anything in on-disk formats.

the real requirements that I see are more like this

1. must be able to be cleared by the kernel when the file is dirtied

2. must be able to be persistant across reboots

3. should allow free-form tags to be stored by scanners

4. if it's deemed nessasary to close the race condition of a file getting
modfied while the scanner is scanning it, there should be an 'atomic to
userspace' call to set a tag IFF an old tag exists. This is a new API
call, but would only need to be used by the scanners.

while #3 can cause conflicts between scanners, I don't expect that in
practice (I expect each scanner to use their own unique prefix to avoid
conflicts)

David Lang

2008-08-20 17:51:35

by David Lang

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:

>> He is expecting the scanning software to set the policy
>> so there is no reason to have a system/distro defined policy
>
> I'm not sure of the definition of this 'policy' but, yes, I think all
> scanners should make their own decisions in their own little bubble.

I realized I need to reply to this part just after hitting send on the
reply to the rest of it.

part of the policy that needs to be set is when scans do and don't need to
be done.

you almost never want to have 'scans' take place when scanners access
files (the HSM restore is the only exception), and there are significant
performance benifits in exempting other programs as well.

you are saying that the decision of which programs to skip and which ones
to not skip should be the responsibility of the scanner. I disagree for a
couple of reasons

1. I don't think that the scanner can really know what program is trying
to do the access.

2. I think the policy of which files to limit to scanned data and which
ones to allow access to unscanned data should be a sysadmin decision
(assisted by the distro), not something set through the scanning software.
In sort I don't trust Symantec, Macafee, etc to make the correct decisions
for all the different linux distros out there, or for the different
scanners to provide sane, consistant interfaces to specify this sort of
thing. I expect each of them to take the attitude that they know what's
best, and hard-code the policy with little (if any) allowance for
exceptions, and that exception list would be managed differently for each
scanner.

David Lang

2008-08-20 21:01:50

by Eric Paris

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 10:33 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> if the system package manager says the syslogd binary doesn't match the
> checksum that it has recorded should it be prevented from running? (a
> strict policy would say no, but the sysadmin may have recompiled that one
> binary and just wants a warning to be logged somewhere, not preventing the
> process from running)

My belief is that if you choose to run a file scanner and that file
scanner gets the answer wrong you need to look at the file scanner.
There shouldn't be arbitrary overrides. If you don't accept the results
of the scanner what's the point? Tell you package manager scanner that
you changed it.

> without the kernel support to clear the flags when the file is dirtied how
> can these programs trust the xattr flags that say they scanned the file
> before?

I don't understand what you mean about trust. This is an argument for
kernel support now? What is it that you say needs and what doesn't need
it? Can you explain exactly what your perfect solution from top down?

> I'm not saying that xattr is the only way to store the info, it just seems
> like a convienient place to store them without having to create a
> completely new API or changing anything in on-disk formats.

And I saying we don't actually need any of this and if it is actually
needed by someone in the real world they can easily build their own
solution on top of my generic interface. I'm not making the assertion
it is race free and don't think it is possible without making every
sequential (hahahaha.) But I claim in the face of normal operation it's
fine. My interface, as proposed, is very generic. Much more so than
what I think you are trying to describe. I couldn't make mine more
minimal or broad.

2008-08-21 00:43:20

by David Lang

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 10:33 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> if the system package manager says the syslogd binary doesn't match the
>> checksum that it has recorded should it be prevented from running? (a
>> strict policy would say no, but the sysadmin may have recompiled that one
>> binary and just wants a warning to be logged somewhere, not preventing the
>> process from running)
>
> My belief is that if you choose to run a file scanner and that file
> scanner gets the answer wrong you need to look at the file scanner.
> There shouldn't be arbitrary overrides. If you don't accept the results
> of the scanner what's the point? Tell you package manager scanner that
> you changed it.

and this is the core disagreement we have. I don't trust the AV vendors
that much. I want there to be some way for me to disagree with them.

I've had AV false positives a few too many times where it flagged critical
software as being bad to be comfortable giving them that much control

>> without the kernel support to clear the flags when the file is dirtied how
>> can these programs trust the xattr flags that say they scanned the file
>> before?
>
> I don't understand what you mean about trust.

if a program set an xattr to say that it scanned the file and then the
system reboots, how can this program know that the file hasn't been
modified since that xattr was set? your in-memory data is gone, so you
can't tell from that. the xattr tag is still there.

> This is an argument for
> kernel support now? What is it that you say needs and what doesn't need
> it? Can you explain exactly what your perfect solution from top down?

1. a flag mechansim (namespace in xattr or something else) that allows for

1a. scanners to store arbatrary tags in a way that will survive a reboot.

1b. when the file is dirtied the kernel clears all flags that have been
set on this file.

especially for mmap access the kernel is in a good position to detect
that the file has been dirtied, but nothing else is.

1c. when the kernel detect a formerly clean file getting dirtied it sends
a message to userspace in a way that multiple scanners can receive the
alerts

1d. to close the race of the file being modified while it's being scanned,
add a system call (atomic as far as userspace is concerned) that sets a
new tag IFF an old tag is set

2. on access a check is done against a list of 'required' tags, if not all
tags are present the master scanning logic is invoked.

for several reasons I've been thinking that this step could/should be
done
in userspace

If done in userspace

2a. define a place to record the 'required' tags.

one way to do this is to have a directory for it, programs define
'required' tags by creating a file with that as it's name with the
contents of the file including the scanner name and the command line to
execute to perform a scan

2b. define a way of stacking different scanners (being able to define what
to do if each scanner says "yes", "no", "I don't know", "the file changed
under me", and "the file changed under me, but I think I found a problem",
and what to do with the combination of different answers).

it may be that something resembling the way that pam works would be
suitable.

3. modify knfsd so that it does the on access checks that the userspace
library could do for #2 and calls out to the master scanning logic.

this is new since the last time I wrote up the proposal (the first
message in this thread), and is definantly more work, but in thinking
about it I am starting to think that if the userspace solution is a good
fit for everything but static binaries and knfsd, then the answer is to
modify knfsd and say that the sysadmin/distro is responsible for making
the static binaries compiled against the right libraries

when programs get ready to start scanning they can set a tag
'app-scanning' when they complete the scan they can use the atomic op to
say "if the tag 'app-scanning' is set, clear it and set the tag
'app-scanned-gen1234'" (if 'app-scanning' is not set then the file was
dirtied after the scan started)

if a program is running as part of an on-access scan it would then return
it's opinion of the file.

it would be up to the master software (2b) to decide what to do if the
scanners disagree, no scanner voices an opinion, or if a scanner reports
the file changed while it was scanning it (it may want to kick off the
scan immediatly, it may want to wait, it may want to limit the number of
times it tries to scan a file and then either just allow or deny the
access (all these thing are policy decisions)

>> I'm not saying that xattr is the only way to store the info, it just seems
>> like a convienient place to store them without having to create a
>> completely new API or changing anything in on-disk formats.
>
> And I saying we don't actually need any of this

I know, this is the core of our disagreement.

> and if it is actually
> needed by someone in the real world they can easily build their own
> solution on top of my generic interface.

most stuff could be, but I don't think everything could.

> I'm not making the assertion
> it is race free and don't think it is possible without making every
> sequential (hahahaha.)

I think we can make it race free.

> But I claim in the face of normal operation it's
> fine. My interface, as proposed, is very generic. Much more so than
> what I think you are trying to describe. I couldn't make mine more
> minimal or broad.

and I am thinking that the slight additional step of having the kernel
clear all tags rather then just having a single 'it was ok' tag is a
significant advantage.

beyond that I think both approaches can work, the difference is how
simple/complex we think the result is going to be used.

I think that we both agree that if you are right about how simply it's
going to be used, you are also correct in putting it all in the kernel.
however if I'm right about it being used for more complex things, then
significant parts of it belong in userspace.

based on my beleive that much of this belongs in userspace, I'm then
saying that it may make sense for all of #2 to be in userspace.

David Lang

2008-08-21 14:35:32

by Douglas Leeder

Subject: Re: [malware-list] scanner interface proposal was: [TALPA] Intro linux interface for access scanning

Eric Paris wrote on 2008-08-20 16:15:21:

> At the moment I'm leaning towards a separate async notification system
> for open/mtime change/close which will be a fire and forget notification
> system with no access control mechanism.
>
> A second, although very similar, mechanism will block on read/mmap
> (although I'm not so sure how to handle O_NONBLOCK without a kernel
> fastpath/inode marking that actually gets used, this is really a serious
> design issue with putting this at read/mmap. I don't think we are ready
> to give up on O_NONBLOCK for S_ISREG altogether just yet are we?) and
> provide access control. I also plan to include open() in the
> blocking/access control based on a /proc tunable. If applications can't
> handle EPERM at read/mmap they can get it at open and suffer the
> perf/blocking hit needlessly on open/stat sequences.

I think these are excellent ideas.

The kernel really does have to keep some record if it's going to do any
scanning from read() calls, it can't go to userspace each time to check
if a file is cached.
(It might be the single open file descriptor that's marked though)

O_NONBLOCK is then handled nicely, and we can avoid ever blocking that
client process (which given they're trying non-blocking IO is probably
a good thing).

--
Douglas Leeder

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.

2008-08-21 21:20:39

by David Lang

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, [email protected] wrote:

> Eric Paris wrote on 2008-08-20 16:15:21:
>
>> At the moment I'm leaning towards a separate async notification system
>> for open/mtime change/close which will be a fire and forget notification
>> system with no access control mechanism.
>>
>> A second, although very similar, mechanism will block on read/mmap
>> (although I'm not so sure how to handle O_NONBLOCK without a kernel
>> fastpath/inode marking that actually gets used, this is really a serious
>> design issue with putting this at read/mmap. I don't think we are ready
>> to give up on O_NONBLOCK for S_ISREG altogether just yet are we?) and
>> provide access control. I also plan to include open() in the
>> blocking/access control based on a /proc tunable. If applications can't
>> handle EPERM at read/mmap they can get it at open and suffer the
>> perf/blocking hit needlessly on open/stat sequences.
>
> I think these are excellent ideas.
>
> The kernel really does have to keep some record if it's going to do any
> scanning from read() calls, it can't go to userspace each time to check
> if a file is cached.
> (It might be the single open file descriptor that's marked though)

if you say that the hooks are in the kernel then it does make sense to try
and have the checking of the cached state done in the kernel.

this will mean that the kernel will have to have some way of knowing which
programs it should block when the check fails and which ones it should let
go ahead anyway.

> O_NONBLOCK is then handled nicely, and we can avoid ever blocking that
> client process (which given they're trying non-blocking IO is probably
> a good thing).

I don't see how this follows.

David Lang

2008-08-22 15:10:31

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> Eric is viewing this through the AV point of view,
> this means
> He is thinking that any ability to avoid doing the scan
> is a security hole.

That's contrary to the threat model ('it is just a scanner').

(Plus you can't do it. mmap. Of course you can pass viruses between
two cooperating applications... and you can do it through filesystem,
too. And you probably can make un-cooperating network server serve
viruses, as long as the network server uses mmap.)

This is the thing that makes antivirus ugly, its unique to the
antivirus, plus it can't be done. I.e. bad goal.

Pavel

by David Lang

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:

> To: [email protected]
>
>> Eric is viewing this through the AV point of view,
>> this means
>> He is thinking that any ability to avoid doing the scan
>> is a security hole.
>
> That's contrary to the threat model ('it is just a scanner').
>
> (Plus you can't do it. mmap. Of course you can pass viruses between
> two cooperating applications... and you can do it through filesystem,
> too. And you probably can make un-cooperating network server serve
> viruses, as long as the network server uses mmap.)

by the way, sendfile and splice will probably also cause grief (or at
least open-only checks like mmap)

> This is the thing that makes antivirus ugly, its unique to the
> antivirus, plus it can't be done. I.e. bad goal.

the items that I see as the potentially difficult policy decisions

1. when to scan files on access

and the more dificult issue,
2.when to allow access to unscanned files

3. what to do if different scanners disagree with each other

I think Eric's answers would be

1. unless they are already marked as being scanned since rebooting

2. only when a scanner program is doing the access, unless the scanner
programs all decide differently.

3. only allow access if all scanners agree.

My answers are

1. unless they have already been marked by the current generation of
scanner signatures

2. depends wildly on the environment. some uses will want to follow Eric's
very strict policy, others will only want to impose the on-access scanning
on software expected to be exposed to windows clients, yet others will
want to scan by default, but exempt programs that don't interpret their
input (for example 'wc')

I also don't know how the kernel could reliably figure out what program is
asking for access. I guess you could try to do something with SELinux
tags, but that makes this system dependant on SELinux, plus since you can
only have one tag on the program it will potentially double the number if
unique tags on the system, with a significant complication to the ruleset
to make each of the tags identical, except for this one function.

3. like #2 depends wildly on the environment and what scanners are in use.
I could easily see a 'majority vote wins' with three (or more) AV scanners
in use. I could also see having a checksum based scanner override the
decision of a heristic based scanner

David Lang