2008-10-02 23:05:59

by Greg KH

Subject: atl2 network driver status

Hi,

In looking for drivers to add to drivers/staging/ I ran across the atl2
driver that is currently in the Fedora and Ubuntu kernel trees.

This driver doesn't look to be scheduled for inclusion in the upstream
netdev git tree for submission for 2.6.28, is there any reason why it is
still out-of-the-tree?

And, if it's not going into 2.6.28, any objection for me adding it to
the drivers/staging/ tree? If so, I need a list of reasons why it is
not merged upstream properly so far so that people know what to work on
in order to get it there.

thanks,

greg k-h

2008-10-02 23:09:20

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: atl2 network driver status

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 04:02:46PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In looking for drivers to add to drivers/staging/ I ran across the atl2
> driver that is currently in the Fedora and Ubuntu kernel trees.
>
> This driver doesn't look to be scheduled for inclusion in the upstream
> netdev git tree for submission for 2.6.28, is there any reason why it is
> still out-of-the-tree?
>
> And, if it's not going into 2.6.28, any objection for me adding it to
> the drivers/staging/ tree? If so, I need a list of reasons why it is
> not merged upstream properly so far so that people know what to work on
> in order to get it there.

Ok, in looking at the code, I see a list of things that probably need to
be fixed up properly, but it would be nice to see what others think the
reasons are :)

thanks,

greg k-h

2008-10-02 23:17:52

by J. K. Cliburn

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:02:46 -0700
Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In looking for drivers to add to drivers/staging/ I ran across the
> atl2 driver that is currently in the Fedora and Ubuntu kernel trees.
>
> This driver doesn't look to be scheduled for inclusion in the upstream
> netdev git tree for submission for 2.6.28, is there any reason why it
> is still out-of-the-tree?

Hi Greg,

It's in net-next-2.6.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=122144021209242&w=2

Best,
Jay

2008-10-02 23:25:04

by Greg KH

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:17:31PM -0500, Jay Cliburn wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:02:46 -0700
> Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In looking for drivers to add to drivers/staging/ I ran across the
> > atl2 driver that is currently in the Fedora and Ubuntu kernel trees.
> >
> > This driver doesn't look to be scheduled for inclusion in the upstream
> > netdev git tree for submission for 2.6.28, is there any reason why it
> > is still out-of-the-tree?
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> It's in net-next-2.6.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=122144021209242&w=2

Nice, so that means it's going to be in 2.6.28?

thanks,

greg k-h

2008-10-02 23:30:00

by J. K. Cliburn

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:21:48 -0700
Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:17:31PM -0500, Jay Cliburn wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:02:46 -0700
> > Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In looking for drivers to add to drivers/staging/ I ran across the
> > > atl2 driver that is currently in the Fedora and Ubuntu kernel
> > > trees.
> > >
> > > This driver doesn't look to be scheduled for inclusion in the
> > > upstream netdev git tree for submission for 2.6.28, is there any
> > > reason why it is still out-of-the-tree?
> >
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > It's in net-next-2.6.
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=122144021209242&w=2
>
> Nice, so that means it's going to be in 2.6.28?

I think so. As I understand it, net-next-2.6 is Dave Miller's git tree
for stuff destined for 2.6.28.

2008-10-02 23:36:27

by J. K. Cliburn

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:29:43 -0500
Jay Cliburn <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:21:48 -0700
> Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:17:31PM -0500, Jay Cliburn wrote:

> > > Hi Greg,
> > >
> > > It's in net-next-2.6.
> > >
> > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=122144021209242&w=2
> >
> > Nice, so that means it's going to be in 2.6.28?
>
> I think so. As I understand it, net-next-2.6 is Dave Miller's git
> tree for stuff destined for 2.6.28.

Yep, here it is: Dave's description of his two main trees.

So atl2 will be in 2.6.28.