2008-10-08 21:12:13

by Diego Calleja

Subject: Wacom tablet not working with 2.6.27-rc: kernel or X.org driver fault?

Hi, I just updated to Ubuntu Intrepid testing sources, which include
X.org 7.4, and as kernel I'm using the latest Linus' tree. And my
wacom tablet has stopped working properly, just like described in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wacom-tools/+bug/260675

As this bug appeared when I updated X.org I'd blame the X driver for
this bug (it's not a kernel regression), but there's people pointing
to a kernel patch [1] that updates the kernel driver to the latest
version to get this problem fixed, so I ask: Is there some bug in the
kernel wacom module that can be sent as a simple fix to -stable (2.6.27
will be released really soon), or have the linuxwacom people decided to
change the compatibility between the X <-> kernel wacom interfaces
without pushing the changes to one side, and then we must wait to 2.6.28
because it's an "improvement"?

It'd be interesting to get this issue fixed ASAP, as having stable
releases of X.org and Linux which can't work together is not very
nice, specially for the ones of us that use a tablet as mouse.

[1]: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17948041/wacom-1.49.patch

2008-10-08 22:55:49

by Ping Cheng

The bug with ubuntu is related to kernel 2.6.26 and the user's newer
tablet. They have to upgrade wacom.ko from linuxwacom themselves or
wait for ubuntu to do the job for them. That has nothing to do with
kernel.org.

For the patch, it is related kernel 2.6.27. We, linuxwacom, doesn't
support 2.6.27 yet (it is on our to-do list). We are waiting for a
final testing among users before submitting a patch to kernel.org for
the newly added tablets: Bamboo1, DTU, and USB Tablet PCs. We'll
probably submit the patch within 2 weeks. But the patch will most likely
go to 2.6.28.

Feel free to email me if anything above confuses you.

Ping

[...]

2008-10-08 23:52:43

by Diego Calleja

El Wed, 8 Oct 2008 15:42:11 -0700, "Ping Cheng" <[email protected]> escribió:

> The bug with ubuntu is related to kernel 2.6.26 and the user's newer
> tablet. They have to upgrade wacom.ko from linuxwacom themselves or
> wait for ubuntu to do the job for them. That has nothing to do with
> kernel.org.

Well, it's not just a matter of newer tablets, the bug reported in ubuntu
is from a user with a tablet which worked with the kernel included
in ubuntu, which does not include any patch to the wacom's kernel
driver, and X.org 7.3, and stopped working properly (ie, it "works", but
click events don't work, and the pointer does weird things) installing
X.org 7.4 (just like my wacom bamboo tablet). A newer version of X.org
driver should not stop working with the devices and kernel.org drivers
it used to work before.

Now that I'm looking at it, the xserver-xorg-input-wacom ubuntu package
is not compiled from X.org 7.4, but from linuxwacom.sf.net sources, and
is using the version 0.8.1.4, IOW, the -dev branch of linuxwacom.sf.net.
So maybe the problem is that there's a bug in the -dev branch of
linuxwacom, but in any case it should get fixed ASAP, as many people is
going to hit this problem...