Subject: 2.6.28-rc3(-next20081103) suspend issues on Lenovo X200

Updating my last post, system now runs with
the new Debian xserver-xorg-intel package:

2.6.28-rc3 and 2.6.28-rc3-next-20081103: acpi_sleep=s3_bios
- suspend on console works
- wakeup on console works
- xorg (intel 2.3.2-2+lenny5) works
- suspend on xorg works
- wakeup on xorg is BROKEN:
- console (kernel messages) is seen for a few seconds
- kernel switches back to X
- screen is partly drawn: X cursor is shown, background, no windows
- system hard reboots after about 20 seconds (watchdog?)

The Debian packages includes the lates G45 bugfix:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-intel/xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.3.2-2+lenny5/changelog

So I'm waiting for your input on where to update what next ;-)

Sincerly,

Nico

--
Think about Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).
http://nico.schottelius.org/documentations/foss/the-term-foss/

PGP: BFE4 C736 ABE5 406F 8F42 F7CF B8BE F92A 9885 188C

Attachments:
(No filename) (969.00 B)
signature.asc (197.00 B)
Digital signature
Download all attachments

Update2:

Nico -telmich- Schottelius [Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 04:39:45PM +0100]:
> 2.6.28-rc3 and 2.6.28-rc3-next-20081103: acpi_sleep=s3_bios

- Switching to console before suspending makes
everything work: suspend and wakeup, also when xorg is running.

Attachments:
(No filename) (260.00 B)
signature.asc (197.00 B)
Digital signature

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Monday, 3 of November 2008, Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:
> Updating my last post, system now runs with
> the new Debian xserver-xorg-intel package:
>
> 2.6.28-rc3 and 2.6.28-rc3-next-20081103: acpi_sleep=s3_bios
> - suspend on console works
> - wakeup on console works
> - xorg (intel 2.3.2-2+lenny5) works
> - suspend on xorg works
> - wakeup on xorg is BROKEN:
> - console (kernel messages) is seen for a few seconds
> - kernel switches back to X
> - screen is partly drawn: X cursor is shown, background, no windows
> - system hard reboots after about 20 seconds (watchdog?)
>
> The Debian packages includes the lates G45 bugfix:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-intel/xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.3.2-2+lenny5/changelog
>
> So I'm waiting for your input on where to update what next ;-)

Jesse, any ideas? Can that be related to the DRM problem with radeon?

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-11-04 01:04:42

by Jesse Barnes

On Monday, November 3, 2008 4:55 pm Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Monday, 3 of November 2008, Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:
> > Updating my last post, system now runs with
> > the new Debian xserver-xorg-intel package:
> >
> > 2.6.28-rc3 and 2.6.28-rc3-next-20081103: acpi_sleep=s3_bios
> > - suspend on console works
> > - wakeup on console works
> > - xorg (intel 2.3.2-2+lenny5) works
> > - suspend on xorg works
> > - wakeup on xorg is BROKEN:
> > - console (kernel messages) is seen for a few seconds
> > - kernel switches back to X
> > - screen is partly drawn: X cursor is shown, background, no windows
> > - system hard reboots after about 20 seconds (watchdog?)
> >
> > The Debian packages includes the lates G45 bugfix:
> >
> > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-inte
> >l/xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.3.2-2+lenny5/changelog
> >
> > So I'm waiting for your input on where to update what next ;-)
>
> Jesse, any ideas? Can that be related to the DRM problem with radeon?

On many machines, we've found that re-POSTing the video device is incompatible
with the i915 driver's suspend/resume functionality. So things like s3_bios
and vbetool shouldn't be used if the i915 driver works by itself.

Jesse Barnes [Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 05:04:25PM -0800]:
> On Monday, November 3, 2008 4:55 pm Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > Jesse, any ideas? Can that be related to the DRM problem with radeon?
>
> On many machines, we've found that re-POSTing the video device is incompatible
> with the i915 driver's suspend/resume functionality. So things like s3_bios
> and vbetool shouldn't be used if the i915 driver works by itself.

I removed the s3_bios option; not the console keeps on being black,
but the system wakes up (tested with next-20081105).

When running xorg the system freezes on wakeup and hard reboots after
20 seconds (again: looks like some kind of watchdog, though I am not
aware of anything like that in the X200).

Sincerly,

Nico (again: looks like some kind of watchdog, though I am not
aware of anything like that in the X200).

Sincerly,

Nico

--
Think about Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).
http://nico.schottelius.org/documentations/foss/the-term-foss/

PGP: BFE4 C736 ABE5 406F 8F42 F7CF B8BE F92A 9885 188C

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.02 kB)
signature.asc (197.00 B)
Digital signature

by Rob Latham

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Nico -telmich- Schottelius
<[email protected]> wrote:
> When running xorg the system freezes on wakeup and hard reboots after
> 20 seconds (again: looks like some kind of watchdog, though I am not
> aware of anything like that in the X200).
>
> Sincerly,
>
> Nico (again: looks like some kind of watchdog, though I am not
> aware of anything like that in the X200).

Hi Nico, all.

I've had good results disabling one core before suspending, and then
enabling the extra core after wakeup. The watchdog in that case
might not be the intel driver at all, but rather something in the
kernel that kicks in in such conditions?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6105510&postcount=12

(I put the "sleep before enabling 2nd core" in the background and for
a longer period of time)

Suspending/resuming in this single-core mode has worked really well
for me for the last day or so.

Hope that helps point to the root cause...
==rob