2009-01-03 02:47:47

by Justin P. Mattock

Subject: ath9k microwave anomaly

Now I'm not trying to be funny,
but I think I figured a problem
with running ath9k, and having the internet
timeout.(for me at least);
When streaming T.V.(cspan2), and
streaming music(somafm), at the same time,
then using the microwave, I'll experience a blackout
of internet(T.V. stops, then music stops streaming);

not sure if this is caused by the router or not, but
when I set the router to channel 3, I can
connect back after the blackout, but if I set the channel to 6,
it seems the only way to get back up, is a reboot.
the distance from the microwave is probably
15 to 20 feet.
How can I really test this to see if this is the module,
or router that is being interfered with.
(I did set myself between me and the router(no blackout),
then me the microwave, router(had a blackout);

I hope this helps with some of the weirdness
I've been hearing about with timeouts.

regards;

Justin P. Mattock

2009-01-03 03:21:51

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: ath9k microwave anomaly

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:47:32PM -0800, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> Now I'm not trying to be funny,
> but I think I figured a problem
> with running ath9k, and having the internet
> timeout.(for me at least);
> When streaming T.V.(cspan2), and
> streaming music(somafm), at the same time,
> then using the microwave, I'll experience a blackout
> of internet(T.V. stops, then music stops streaming);

not specific to ath9k.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=578 has some pretty graphics
to show just how much noise a microwave puts into the part
of the spectrum wifi uses.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

2009-01-03 03:31:44

by Justin P. Mattock

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:47:32PM -0800, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> > Now I'm not trying to be funny,
> > but I think I figured a problem
> > with running ath9k, and having the internet
> > timeout.(for me at least);
> > When streaming T.V.(cspan2), and
> > streaming music(somafm), at the same time,
> > then using the microwave, I'll experience a blackout
> > of internet(T.V. stops, then music stops streaming);
>
> not specific to ath9k.
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=578 has some pretty graphics
> to show just how much noise a microwave puts into the part
> of the spectrum wifi uses.
>
> Dave

Damn that's allot,
no wonder I was having these timeouts.
i.g. system streams fine for 10 hours.
then the next day a timeout after 2 hours due
to microwave use.
Thanks for pointing that blog out.
that opened my eyes up to how powerful
a microwave is. makes me wonder if that
grade in the window actually does what is supposed to.
(block gamma rays or whatever the dangerous wave is);

regards;

Justin P. Mattock

2009-01-03 03:49:00

by Dave Jones

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:31:28PM -0800, Justin P. Mattock wrote:

> that opened my eyes up to how powerful
> a microwave is. makes me wonder if that
> grade in the window actually does what is supposed to.
> (block gamma rays or whatever the dangerous wave is);

Unless you've developed abnormal super powers lately,
it's likely that it's doing its job.

Microwaves can't penetrate metal. The grill is keeping
the radioactive nastyness inside. RF interference is
something else entirely. As to whether its harmful or not,
that's an ongoing debate (see the people who claim
cellphones fry your brain etc).

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

2009-01-03 03:49:52

by Steven Noonan

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Justin P. Mattock
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Dave Jones wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:47:32PM -0800, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>> > Now I'm not trying to be funny,
>> > but I think I figured a problem
>> > with running ath9k, and having the internet
>> > timeout.(for me at least);
>> > When streaming T.V.(cspan2), and
>> > streaming music(somafm), at the same time,
>> > then using the microwave, I'll experience a blackout
>> > of internet(T.V. stops, then music stops streaming);
>>
>> not specific to ath9k.
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=578 has some pretty graphics
>> to show just how much noise a microwave puts into the part
>> of the spectrum wifi uses.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Damn that's allot,
> no wonder I was having these timeouts.
> i.g. system streams fine for 10 hours.
> then the next day a timeout after 2 hours due
> to microwave use.
> Thanks for pointing that blog out.
> that opened my eyes up to how powerful
> a microwave is. makes me wonder if that
> grade in the window actually does what is supposed to.
> (block gamma rays or whatever the dangerous wave is);
>
> regards;
>
> Justin P. Mattock

Yeah, I think it was Luis Rodriguez (from Atheros) who told me that a
microwave was the best way to make a signal "wet poop" for
interference testing.

2009-01-03 03:59:44

by Justin P. Mattock

Steven Noonan wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Justin P. Mattock
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Dave Jones wrote:

>>> not specific to ath9k.
>>>
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=578 has some pretty graphics
>>> to show just how much noise a microwave puts into the part
>>> of the spectrum wifi uses.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Damn that's allot,
>> no wonder I was having these timeouts.
>> i.g. system streams fine for 10 hours.
>> then the next day a timeout after 2 hours due
>> to microwave use.
>> Thanks for pointing that blog out.
>> that opened my eyes up to how powerful
>> a microwave is. makes me wonder if that
>> grade in the window actually does what is supposed to.
>> (block gamma rays or whatever the dangerous wave is);
>>
>> regards;
>>
>> Justin P. Mattock
>>

> Yeah, I think it was Luis Rodriguez (from Atheros) who told me that a
> microwave was the best way to make a signal "wet poop" for
> interference testing.

Well, this one here seems to be not
that old, but it's enough to cause
interference. Hopefully not too old
to cause me to go sterile!!
interesting thing is when
the microwave is cold and then started
I noticed more interference, as to when
it's been running for a while.

regards;

Justin P. Mattock

2009-01-03 04:48:55

by Robert Hancock

Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> Steven Noonan wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Justin P. Mattock
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Damn that's allot,
>>> no wonder I was having these timeouts.
>>> i.g. system streams fine for 10 hours.
>>> then the next day a timeout after 2 hours due
>>> to microwave use.
>>> Thanks for pointing that blog out.
>>> that opened my eyes up to how powerful
>>> a microwave is. makes me wonder if that
>>> grade in the window actually does what is supposed to.
>>> (block gamma rays or whatever the dangerous wave is);
>>>
>>> regards;
>>>
>>> Justin P. Mattock
>>>

>> Yeah, I think it was Luis Rodriguez (from Atheros) who told me that a
>> microwave was the best way to make a signal "wet poop" for
>> interference testing.
>>

> Well, this one here seems to be not
> that old, but it's enough to cause
> interference. Hopefully not too old
> to cause me to go sterile!!
> interesting thing is when
> the microwave is cold and then started
> I noticed more interference, as to when
> it's been running for a while.

I think the standards for microwaves allow a reasonable amount of
microwave leakage - still way below the levels that can harm you, but
compared to the power levels that a WiFi device puts out, it's pretty
significant..

2009-01-03 07:31:34

by Willy Tarreau

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:48:29PM -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
> Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> >Steven Noonan wrote:

> >>Yeah, I think it was Luis Rodriguez (from Atheros) who told me that a
> >>microwave was the best way to make a signal "wet poop" for
> >>interference testing.
> >>

> >Well, this one here seems to be not
> >that old, but it's enough to cause
> >interference. Hopefully not too old
> >to cause me to go sterile!!
> >interesting thing is when
> >the microwave is cold and then started
> >I noticed more interference, as to when
> >it's been running for a while.
>
> I think the standards for microwaves allow a reasonable amount of
> microwave leakage - still way below the levels that can harm you, but
> compared to the power levels that a WiFi device puts out, it's pretty
> significant..

BTW, having any WiFi stopping working at 30 feet around a microwave oven
makes me think that beast is leaking like mad. I've already ran experiences
with mine in the past, and it could only slightly perturbate the traffic
within one meter (3 ft) which I already considered huge. You may want to
try to put some aluminium foil on the front door, it is possible that the
protection grid is damaged or not properly sealed.

Willy

2009-01-03 08:11:31

by Justin P. Mattock

Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:48:29PM -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
>
>> Justin P. Mattock wrote:

>>> Well, this one here seems to be not
>>> that old, but it's enough to cause
>>> interference. Hopefully not too old
>>> to cause me to go sterile!!
>>> interesting thing is when
>>> the microwave is cold and then started
>>> I noticed more interference, as to when
>>> it's been running for a while.
>>>
>> I think the standards for microwaves allow a reasonable amount of
>> microwave leakage - still way below the levels that can harm you, but
>> compared to the power levels that a WiFi device puts out, it's pretty
>> significant..
>>

> BTW, having any WiFi stopping working at 30 feet around a microwave oven
> makes me think that beast is leaking like mad. I've already ran experiences
> with mine in the past, and it could only slightly perturbate the traffic
> within one meter (3 ft) which I already considered huge. You may want to
> try to put some aluminium foil on the front door, it is possible that the
> protection grid is damaged or not properly sealed.
>
> Willy

great!!
(should I build a cement barrier?);
I had timeouts like this with the wireless phone
(then went out a bought an encrypted phone for this purpose);
now the microwave is causing the same issue.(silently though);
like what I had mentioned, the microwave causes this when
it's cold started, making wonder if the waves are better handled
when the metal or grate is warm as opposed to cold.
(molecules are jumping around as opposed to moving around);
in any case as long as that microwave isn't active the internet
connection seems O.K.(knock on wood);

regards;

Justin P. Mattock

2009-01-03 13:50:39

by Alan

> > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=578 has some pretty graphics
> > to show just how much noise a microwave puts into the part
> > of the spectrum wifi uses.

But this is why that spectrum is free for public use

> that opened my eyes up to how powerful
> a microwave is. makes me wonder if that
> grade in the window actually does what is supposed to.
> (block gamma rays or whatever the dangerous wave is);

The amount that leaks out is miniscule, but then so is the power level of
a wireless card.

Alan

2009-01-03 14:15:21

by Bastien Roucariès

> BTW, having any WiFi stopping working at 30 feet around a microwave oven
> makes me think that beast is leaking like mad. I've already ran experiences
> with mine in the past, and it could only slightly perturbate the traffic
> within one meter (3 ft) which I already considered huge. You may want to
> try to put some aluminium foil on the front door, it is possible that the
> protection grid is damaged or not properly sealed.

Likely not the grid. The grid is pretty solid. I will guess it is the
wave traps seals arround the microwave door (often they are made
rubber part mixed with conductive stuff) that are too old. These seals
tend to expand when hot and are therefore more efficient. You could
change it for cheap ($10), ask our local general store. As a quick fix
(not recommended) you could add some electrical conductive grease but
it will further decreade long term abilty of these seals (grease tend
to crack rubber), and these kind of grease are not really food
compatible.

Bastien

2009-01-03 16:52:44

by Justin P. Mattock

Thanks..
I'll have to look at that and see.
In any case, I still am amazed at how that little box was able to
cause the
Wireless to timeout like it did, especially with the distance apart
they are. Scary but amazing, and also an answer to one of my problems
with wireless I had for a while. :^)

justin P. Mattock

On Jan 3, 2009, at 6:15 AM, "Bastien ROUCARIES" <[email protected]
> wrote:

>> BTW, having any WiFi stopping working at 30 feet around a microwave
>> oven
>> makes me think that beast is leaking like mad. I've already ran
>> experiences
>> with mine in the past, and it could only slightly perturbate the
>> traffic
>> within one meter (3 ft) which I already considered huge. You may
>> want to
>> try to put some aluminium foil on the front door, it is possible
>> that the
>> protection grid is damaged or not properly sealed.
>
> Likely not the grid. The grid is pretty solid. I will guess it is the
> wave traps seals arround the microwave door (often they are made
> rubber part mixed with conductive stuff) that are too old. These seals
> tend to expand when hot and are therefore more efficient. You could
> change it for cheap ($10), ask our local general store. As a quick fix
> (not recommended) you could add some electrical conductive grease but
> it will further decreade long term abilty of these seals (grease tend
> to crack rubber), and these kind of grease are not really food
> compatible.
>
> Bastien
> kernel" in

by folkert

>> BTW, having any WiFi stopping working at 30 feet around a microwave oven
>> makes me think that beast is leaking like mad. I've already ran experiences
>> with mine in the past, and it could only slightly perturbate the traffic
>> within one meter (3 ft) which I already considered huge. You may want to
>> try to put some aluminium foil on the front door, it is possible that the
>> protection grid is damaged or not properly sealed.
>>
> great!!
> (should I build a cement barrier?);
> I had timeouts like this with the wireless phone
> (then went out a bought an encrypted phone for this purpose);

Since a few months my wifi connections dropped during the day and sometimes
at nights well. So I took my laptop with the WiSpy dongle and went for a
walk in the neighbourhood. Found out that outside there's fresh air that
feels really good to your nose and also that one of my neighbours has a
wireless security camera which he occasionally switches on during the day.
(weblog entry: http://vanheusden.com/misc/blog/2008-12-11-wifi.php ).

> now the microwave is causing the same issue.(silently though);
> like what I had mentioned, the microwave causes this when
> it's cold started, making wonder if the waves are better handled
> when the metal or grate is warm as opposed to cold.
> (molecules are jumping around as opposed to moving around);
> in any case as long as that microwave isn't active the internet
> connection seems O.K.(knock on wood);

There are devices with which you can measure the leakage of a micro-
wave (which should not be more than 50 watt per m^2 on a distance of
5 cm; read that at http://members.lycos.nl/return/mgnetron.htm ).
Iirc conrad.nl has these.

Folkert van Heusden

--
MultiTail is a versatile tool for watching logfiles and output of
commands. Filtering, coloring, merging, diff-view, etc.

2009-01-03 20:15:42

by Justin P. Mattock

Folkert van Heusden wrote:
>>> BTW, having any WiFi stopping working at 30 feet around a microwave oven
>>> makes me think that beast is leaking like mad. I've already ran experiences
>>> with mine in the past, and it could only slightly perturbate the traffic
>>> within one meter (3 ft) which I already considered huge. You may want to
>>> try to put some aluminium foil on the front door, it is possible that the
>>> protection grid is damaged or not properly sealed.
>>>

>> great!!
>> (should I build a cement barrier?);
>> I had timeouts like this with the wireless phone
>> (then went out a bought an encrypted phone for this purpose);
>>

> Since a few months my wifi connections dropped during the day and sometimes
> at nights well. So I took my laptop with the WiSpy dongle and went for a
> walk in the neighbourhood. Found out that outside there's fresh air that
> feels really good to your nose and also that one of my neighbours has a
> wireless security camera which he occasionally switches on during the day.
> (weblog entry: http://vanheusden.com/misc/blog/2008-12-11-wifi.php ).
>

>> now the microwave is causing the same issue.(silently though);
>> like what I had mentioned, the microwave causes this when
>> it's cold started, making wonder if the waves are better handled
>> when the metal or grate is warm as opposed to cold.
>> (molecules are jumping around as opposed to moving around);
>> in any case as long as that microwave isn't active the internet
>> connection seems O.K.(knock on wood);
>>

> There are devices with which you can measure the leakage of a micro-
> wave (which should not be more than 50 watt per m^2 on a distance of
> 5 cm; read that at http://members.lycos.nl/return/mgnetron.htm ).
> Iirc conrad.nl has these.
>

> Folkert van Heusden

That device looks interesting.
looked at the article, just one problem
I suck at reading german, or speaking the
language. although I would love to checkout
oldenbourg or ingostadt one of these days.

regards;

Justin P. Mattock

2009-01-03 20:22:19

by folkert

>> Since a few months my wifi connections dropped during the day and sometimes
>> at nights well. So I took my laptop with the WiSpy dongle and went for a
>> walk in the neighbourhood. Found out that outside there's fresh air that
>> feels really good to your nose and also that one of my neighbours has a
>> wireless security camera which he occasionally switches on during the day.
>> (weblog entry: http://vanheusden.com/misc/blog/2008-12-11-wifi.php ).
>>
> That device looks interesting.
> looked at the article, just one problem
> I suck at reading german, or speaking the
> language. although I would love to checkout
> oldenbourg or ingostadt one of these days.

That's Dutch.

I bought it here: http://www.metageek.net/products/wi-spy

Folkert van Heusden

--

Multitail - gibkaja utilita po sledovaniju log-fajlov i vyvoda
kommand. Fil'trovanie, raskra?ivanie, slijanie, vizual'noe sravnenie,

2009-01-03 20:59:19

by Justin P. Mattock

Folkert van Heusden wrote:
>>> Since a few months my wifi connections dropped during the day and sometimes
>>> at nights well. So I took my laptop with the WiSpy dongle and went for a
>>> walk in the neighbourhood. Found out that outside there's fresh air that
>>> feels really good to your nose and also that one of my neighbours has a
>>> wireless security camera which he occasionally switches on during the day.
>>> (weblog entry: http://vanheusden.com/misc/blog/2008-12-11-wifi.php ).
>>>

>> That device looks interesting.
>> looked at the article, just one problem
>> I suck at reading german, or speaking the
>> language. although I would love to checkout
>> oldenbourg or ingostadt one of these days.
>>

> That's Dutch.
>
> I bought it here: http://www.metageek.net/products/wi-spy
>

> Folkert van Heusden

See, shows you how much I know(wast ist das).
besides that, thats a nice tool.
perfect for wireless issues.
what about using ath9k itself,
instead of an external tool?

regards;

Justin P. Mattock

2009-01-03 21:26:48

by Bastien Roucariès

> See, shows you how much I know(wast ist das).
> besides that, thats a nice tool.
> perfect for wireless issues.
> what about using ath9k itself,
> instead of an external tool?

They was some really good hack based on 1$ component on QSL.net. But
website is down (temporally). check in a few days :)

Regards

Bastien

2009-01-03 22:52:46

by Justin P. Mattock

Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>> See, shows you how much I know(wast ist das).
>> besides that, thats a nice tool.
>> perfect for wireless issues.
>> what about using ath9k itself,
>> instead of an external tool?
>>

> They was some really good hack based on 1$ component on QSL.net. But
> website is down (temporally). check in a few days :)
>

> Regards
>
> Bastien

Cool.
As for the wireless itself
ath9k seems to running pretty
good, as well as the kernel.
(thank you everybody for creating
such a nice kernel);

regards;

Justin P. Mattock

2009-01-10 10:12:45

by Pavel Machek

On Fri 2009-01-02 22:48:46, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:31:28PM -0800, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>
> > that opened my eyes up to how powerful
> > a microwave is. makes me wonder if that
> > grade in the window actually does what is supposed to.
> > (block gamma rays or whatever the dangerous wave is);
>
> Unless you've developed abnormal super powers lately,
> it's likely that it's doing its job.
>
> Microwaves can't penetrate metal. The grill is keeping
> the radioactive nastyness inside. RF interference is
> something else entirely. As to whether its harmful or not,
> that's an ongoing debate (see the people who claim
> cellphones fry your brain etc).

No, I don't think so. RF interference is caused by exactly the same
waves we use for cooking...

Fortunately, microwaves only harm you by warming you up (locally);
that means that you need a lot of them to get hurt.

Pavel