2009-01-05 18:52:37

by markus reichelt

Subject: A SuSE riddle

Hi,

this goes out to the SusE folks in here:

What the heck is needed to get one's hands on the contents of

kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.i586.rpm

The usual tools fail.

Downloaded from http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/opensuse/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/

And why not provide a .CAB for it? Seems to work better anyway.

--
left blank, right bald

Attachments:
(No filename) (361.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Bruce Ferrell

Subject: Re: A SuSE riddle

markus reichelt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this goes out to the SusE folks in here:
>
> What the heck is needed to get one's hands on the contents of
>
> kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.i586.rpm
>
> The usual tools fail.
>
> Downloaded from http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/opensuse/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/
>

> And why not provide a .CAB for it? Seems to work better anyway.

1.) Try kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.src.rpm instead

2.) Because CAB files are for windows silly trid :)

2009-01-05 19:41:49

by Sitsofe Wheeler

markus reichelt wrote:
> this goes out to the SusE folks in here:

You will have much better success asking this on one of the SUSE mailing
lists/forums/irc channels http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate

> What the heck is needed to get one's hands on the contents of
>
> kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.i586.rpm

Crazy though this sounds that's not actually a kernel question (this
isn't really the place to get help with RPM)...

> The usual tools fail.

It workedforme but perhaps my usual tools are different to yours : ). I
really recommend asking on a (friendly?) SUSE area about this as I
suspect http://www.suse.de/~agruen/kernel-doc/ (found via
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=suse+compile+kernel&btnG=Search
) might not detail quite enough steps to help you past this...

Good luck!

2009-01-05 19:46:49

by markus reichelt

* Bruce Ferrell <[email protected]> wrote:

> markus reichelt wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >this goes out to the SusE folks in here:
> >
> >What the heck is needed to get one's hands on the contents of
> >
> >kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.i586.rpm
> >
> >The usual tools fail.
> >
> >Downloaded from
> >http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/opensuse/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/
> >

> >And why not provide a .CAB for it? Seems to work better anyway.
> >

> 1.) Try kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.src.rpm instead

Oh well, SuSE. Placing their eggs in different places...

> 2.) Because CAB files are for windows silly trid :)

A .CAB wouldn't need a .src.CAB, a .CAB would just frakking work :)

--
left blank, right bald

Attachments:
(No filename) (724.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Steven Noonan

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM, markus reichelt <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 2.) Because CAB files are for windows silly trid :)
>
> A .CAB wouldn't need a .src.CAB, a .CAB would just frakking work :)

I don't think .CAB has ever been a standard distribution system for
any Linux, BSD, or UNIX operating system. I can understand the need
for a .tar.gz or .tar.bz2, but .cab?

And you can grab such .tar.{gz,bz2} files from here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

- Steven

2009-01-05 19:56:26

by markus reichelt

* Steven Noonan <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM, markus reichelt <[email protected]>
> >> wrote: 2.) Because CAB files are for windows silly trid :)
> >
> > A .CAB wouldn't need a .src.CAB, a .CAB would just frakking work
> > :)
> >

> I don't think .CAB has ever been a standard distribution system for
> any Linux, BSD, or UNIX operating system. I can understand the need
> for a .tar.gz or .tar.bz2, but .cab?

Sarcasm. Sorry, collateral damage.

> And you can grab such .tar.{gz,bz2} files from here:
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

No, SuSE once again broke with their patched kernel a tool, and we
are trying to get our hands on the borked patched sources so we can
diff the borked kernel to the working vanilla kernel in order to help
the sorry SuSE user left hanging midair by SuSE folks.

I signed the petition "Meteor Strikes To SuSE FIRST!" - Did you? ;-)

--
left blank, right bald

Attachments:
(No filename) (947.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Martin Tessun

markus reichelt schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> this goes out to the SusE folks in here:
>
> What the heck is needed to get one's hands on the contents of
>
> kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.i586.rpm
>
> The usual tools fail.
>
> Downloaded from http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/opensuse/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/
>

> And why not provide a .CAB for it? Seems to work better anyway.

I don't see your problem:

S | Name | Typ | Version | Arch | Repository
--+---------------+-------+--------------+--------+-----------------------
i | kernel-source | Paket | 2.6.27.7-9.1 | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS)
v | kernel-source | Paket | 2.6.27.7-9.1 | i586 | Haupt-Repository (OSS)

12 | repo_1 | Haupt-Repository (OSS)
| Ja | Ja | 99 | yast2 |
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/ |

So there are the kenels for both Architectures available.

Regards,
Martin

BTW.: I think zypper *is* the standard-tool for SuSE-Updates and you
should go to the SuSE-Kernel-Mailing-List with that problem.

2009-01-05 20:55:23

by Andi Kleen

markus reichelt <[email protected]> writes:

> this goes out to the SusE folks in here:
>
> What the heck is needed to get one's hands on the contents of
>
> kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.i586.rpm

Since 11.0 SUSE uses LZMA enabled rpm, so you need rpm or rpm2cpio
versions that support that.

-Andi

by Bruce Ferrell

markus reichelt wrote:
> * Bruce Ferrell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> markus reichelt wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> this goes out to the SusE folks in here:
>>>
>>> What the heck is needed to get one's hands on the contents of
>>>
>>> kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.i586.rpm
>>>
>>> The usual tools fail.
>>>
>>> Downloaded from
>>> http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/opensuse/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/
>>>

>>> And why not provide a .CAB for it? Seems to work better anyway.
>>>
>> 1.) Try kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.src.rpm instead
>
> Oh well, SuSE. Placing their eggs in different places...

Not exactly. i586.rpm is for 586 and up code just as i386.rpm is for
386 and up. src.rpm is for source code. you asked for the
kernel-source... source code so it fits the rpm scheme of things.

And the folks here are right. This belongs on the Suse lists.

My apologies all

>> 2.) Because CAB files are for windows silly trid :)
>
> A .CAB wouldn't need a .src.CAB, a .CAB would just frakking work :)

2009-01-06 01:46:56

by Jiri Kosina

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, markus reichelt wrote:

> this goes out to the SusE folks in here:
> What the heck is needed to get one's hands on the contents of
> kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1.i586.rpm
> The usual tools fail.
> Downloaded from http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/opensuse/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/

This is definitely not a question that should be raised on LKML. Please
use [email protected] for opensuse kernel related issues.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs