2009-01-05 15:20:07

by Wang Chen

Subject: Who wrote 2.6.28

As Jonathon and Greg did, I also made a statistic about who wrote the Linux kernel.
The following data is for 2.6.28 development. (http://www.remword.com/kps_result/)

1. The attachment graph "commit.png" shows the change of commit amount of patches and changed lines.
It seems that 2.6.28 has less commits than 2.6.27 of both patch set and changed lines.

2. The attachment graph "who.png" shows the involved developers and employers in each version of kernel.
It seems that 2.6.28 has more developers and companies involved than previous two versions, but
less than that of 2.6.25. From a long vision, more and more developers and companies join to the
development of Linux kernel, but the increase speed is not so fast.

3. About TOP30 employers who commit most to kernel, (http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_28_emtop)
Hobbyists is still the most group who contribute most to kernel development.

4. About longtail, (http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_28_lt)
There are 624 people who committed less than 2 patch sets, but their contribution is about 8%
of total.

5. About Reviewed-by and Tested-by.
More and more review and test efforts are regarded by people, Tested-by sign number(173)
is highest in kernel development history.

6. Anyone who wants to check some person or company's contribution curve, please use
http://remword.com/kps_result/evolvement.php

BTW:
To collect information about developers' employ relationship, I search on the Internet
(not by asking themselves) and use gitdm-config which is created by Jonathon and Greg.
Thanks Jonathon and Greg :)

--
WCN

Attachments:
who.png (5.40 kB)
commit.png (6.84 kB)

by Kristoffer Ericson

Subject: Re: Who wrote 2.6.28

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 23:18:47 +0800
Wang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:

> As Jonathon and Greg did, I also made a statistic about who wrote the Linux kernel.
> The following data is for 2.6.28 development. (http://www.remword.com/kps_result/)
>
> 1. The attachment graph "commit.png" shows the change of commit amount of patches and changed lines.
> It seems that 2.6.28 has less commits than 2.6.27 of both patch set and changed lines.
>
> 2. The attachment graph "who.png" shows the involved developers and employers in each version of kernel.
> It seems that 2.6.28 has more developers and companies involved than previous two versions, but
> less than that of 2.6.25. From a long vision, more and more developers and companies join to the
> development of Linux kernel, but the increase speed is not so fast.

How about adjusting for large/small letters? eg. Kristoffer Ericson == kristoffer ericson. Or Ill just learn to use the same always :)

--
Kristoffer Ericson <[email protected]>

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.91 kB)
(No filename) (197.00 B)

by Wang Chen

Kristoffer Ericson said the following on 2009-1-9 1:53:
> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 23:18:47 +0800
> Wang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> As Jonathon and Greg did, I also made a statistic about who wrote the Linux kernel.
>> The following data is for 2.6.28 development. (http://www.remword.com/kps_result/)
>>
>> 1. The attachment graph "commit.png" shows the change of commit amount of patches and changed lines.
>> It seems that 2.6.28 has less commits than 2.6.27 of both patch set and changed lines.
>>
>> 2. The attachment graph "who.png" shows the involved developers and employers in each version of kernel.
>> It seems that 2.6.28 has more developers and companies involved than previous two versions, but
>> less than that of 2.6.25. From a long vision, more and more developers and companies join to the
>> development of Linux kernel, but the increase speed is not so fast.
>
> How about adjusting for large/small letters? eg. Kristoffer Ericson == kristoffer ericson. Or Ill just learn to use the same always :)

Good advice.
I've changed all the Email address to lower case.
Thank you.

2009-01-09 14:09:28

by Jaswinder Singh

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Wang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
> As Jonathon and Greg did, I also made a statistic about who wrote the Linux kernel.
> The following data is for 2.6.28 development. (http://www.remword.com/kps_result/)
>
> 1. The attachment graph "commit.png" shows the change of commit amount of patches and changed lines.
> It seems that 2.6.28 has less commits than 2.6.27 of both patch set and changed lines.
>
> 2. The attachment graph "who.png" shows the involved developers and employers in each version of kernel.
> It seems that 2.6.28 has more developers and companies involved than previous two versions, but
> less than that of 2.6.25. From a long vision, more and more developers and companies join to the
> development of Linux kernel, but the increase speed is not so fast.

In http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_29_whole_line.html
Earlier I was using email address: Jaswinder Singh
<[email protected]> (Unknown #25) and now I am using:
Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> (Unknown #25)

If possible can you link above two emails.

Thanks
--
JSR

2009-01-09 22:11:48

by David Miller

From: "Jaswinder Singh Rajput" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:39:17 +0530

> In http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_29_whole_line.html
> Earlier I was using email address: Jaswinder Singh
> <[email protected]> (Unknown #25) and now I am using:
> Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> (Unknown #25)
>
> If possible can you link above two emails.

This reminds me that I noticed another one that needs linking,
[email protected] became [email protected]

2009-01-10 21:31:35

by Theodore Ts'o

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 02:11:24PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: "Jaswinder Singh Rajput" <[email protected]>
> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:39:17 +0530
>
> > In http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_29_whole_line.html
> > Earlier I was using email address: Jaswinder Singh
> > <[email protected]> (Unknown #25) and now I am using:
> > Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> (Unknown #25)
> >
> > If possible can you link above two emails.
>
> This reminds me that I noticed another one that needs linking,
> [email protected] became [email protected]

... and most of the engineers listed as working for the Linux
Foundation in the above-mentioned analysis don't....

- Ted

2009-01-11 05:49:00

by Greg KH

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 04:31:21PM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 02:11:24PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> > From: "Jaswinder Singh Rajput" <[email protected]>
> > Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:39:17 +0530
> >
> > > In http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_29_whole_line.html
> > > Earlier I was using email address: Jaswinder Singh
> > > <[email protected]> (Unknown #25) and now I am using:
> > > Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> (Unknown #25)
> > >
> > > If possible can you link above two emails.
> >
> > This reminds me that I noticed another one that needs linking,
> > [email protected] became [email protected]
>
> ... and most of the engineers listed as working for the Linux
> Foundation in the above-mentioned analysis don't....

If you look at the tool that Jon wrote, and the data files that I keep
up to date, this is already handled there.

thanks,

greg k-h

2009-01-11 19:02:31

by Pavel Machek

On Fri 2009-01-09 14:11:24, David Miller wrote:
> From: "Jaswinder Singh Rajput" <[email protected]>
> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:39:17 +0530
>
> > In http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_29_whole_line.html
> > Earlier I was using email address: Jaswinder Singh
> > <[email protected]> (Unknown #25) and now I am using:
> > Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> (Unknown #25)
> >
> > If possible can you link above two emails.
>
> This reminds me that I noticed another one that needs linking,
> [email protected] became [email protected]

Hmmm, should those go to linux/.mailmap ? Heh, add [email protected] ==
[email protected] ....

Pavel

by Wang Chen

Jaswinder Singh Rajput said the following on 2009-1-9 22:09:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Wang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> As Jonathon and Greg did, I also made a statistic about who wrote the Linux kernel.
>> The following data is for 2.6.28 development. (http://www.remword.com/kps_result/)
>>
>> 1. The attachment graph "commit.png" shows the change of commit amount of patches and changed lines.
>> It seems that 2.6.28 has less commits than 2.6.27 of both patch set and changed lines.
>>
>> 2. The attachment graph "who.png" shows the involved developers and employers in each version of kernel.
>> It seems that 2.6.28 has more developers and companies involved than previous two versions, but
>> less than that of 2.6.25. From a long vision, more and more developers and companies join to the
>> development of Linux kernel, but the increase speed is not so fast.
>>

> In http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_29_whole_line.html
> Earlier I was using email address: Jaswinder Singh
> <[email protected]> (Unknown #25) and now I am using:
> Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> (Unknown #25)
>
> If possible can you link above two emails.

Sure. Will fix.
Thanks Jaswinder.

2009-01-12 01:51:18

by Wang Chen

David Miller said the following on 2009-1-10 6:11:
> From: "Jaswinder Singh Rajput" <[email protected]>
> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:39:17 +0530
>
>> In http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_29_whole_line.html
>> Earlier I was using email address: Jaswinder Singh
>> <[email protected]> (Unknown #25) and now I am using:
>> Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> (Unknown #25)
>>
>> If possible can you link above two emails.
>
> This reminds me that I noticed another one that needs linking,
> [email protected] became [email protected]

Thanks Dave.
But I wonder that whether Stephen still be LF people.
If not, I will separate these two addresses to different employers.

2009-01-12 02:03:57

by Wang Chen

Greg KH said the following on 2009-1-11 6:00:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 04:31:21PM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 02:11:24PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
>>> From: "Jaswinder Singh Rajput" <[email protected]>
>>> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:39:17 +0530

>>> This reminds me that I noticed another one that needs linking,
>>> [email protected] became [email protected]
>> ... and most of the engineers listed as working for the Linux
>> Foundation in the above-mentioned analysis don't....

Thanks Ted and Greg.

Ted, when you said this, do you mean the page "all_whole.html"?
If so, my explanation is that this page lists all the people who
ever worked for TLF since 2.6.13 age.
Is there any mistake?

If you mean the page "2_6_29_whole.html".
Here are only four people be listed:
Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]> \\working for vyatta now?
Theodore Ts'o <[email protected]>
Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>
Chris Wright <[email protected]> \\redhat engineer

I will fix that.

> If you look at the tool that Jon wrote, and the data files that I keep
> up to date, this is already handled there.
>
> thanks,

Greg, I've used your gitdm-config-2.6. And don't see any update, where should
I find your latest work?

2009-01-12 02:12:25

by Wang Chen

Pavel Machek said the following on 2009-1-12 2:30:
> On Fri 2009-01-09 14:11:24, David Miller wrote:
>> From: "Jaswinder Singh Rajput" <[email protected]>
>> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:39:17 +0530
>>
>>> In http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_29_whole_line.html
>>> Earlier I was using email address: Jaswinder Singh
>>> <[email protected]> (Unknown #25) and now I am using:
>>> Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> (Unknown #25)
>>>
>>> If possible can you link above two emails.
>> This reminds me that I noticed another one that needs linking,
>> [email protected] became [email protected]
>
> Hmmm, should those go to linux/.mailmap ? Heh, add [email protected] ==
> [email protected] ....

It's already done by my statistic tool by following merge code:
CONV_PER_ITEM("<[email protected]>",
"<[email protected]>", "Novell"),
CONV_PER_ITEM("<pavel@[email protected]>",
"<[email protected]>", "Novell"),
CONV_PER_ITEM("<[email protected]>",
"<[email protected]>", "Novell"),
CONV_PER_ITEM("<[email protected]>",
"<[email protected]>", "Novell"),
seems you've used some typo addresses in history ;)

2009-01-12 04:10:55

by Greg KH

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:03:50AM +0800, Wang Chen wrote:
> > If you look at the tool that Jon wrote, and the data files that I keep
> > up to date, this is already handled there.
> >
> > thanks,
> >

> Greg, I've used your gitdm-config-2.6. And don't see any update, where should
> I find your latest work?

No, I haven't, sorry. I need to push out a new update soon. Hm,
gitdm-config? Did I release that? If so, where?

thanks,

greg k-h

2009-01-12 05:04:52

by Wang Chen

Greg KH said the following on 2009-1-12 12:09:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:03:50AM +0800, Wang Chen wrote:
>>> If you look at the tool that Jon wrote, and the data files that I keep
>>> up to date, this is already handled there.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>> Greg, I've used your gitdm-config-2.6. And don't see any update, where should
>> I find your latest work?
>
> No, I haven't, sorry. I need to push out a new update soon. Hm,
> gitdm-config? Did I release that? If so, where?

Here
http://lwn.net/images/gitdm/

2009-01-12 15:45:40

by Stephen Hemminger

My Linux Foundation mail address still works, and I can still have
access to old software at my account there. But as of Decemeber 2007,
I work for Vyatta. The marketing department would like the attribution
in statistics to be Vyatta, it is not a big issue for me.

David Miller said the following on 2009-1-10 6:11:
> From: "Jaswinder Singh Rajput" <[email protected]>
> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:39:17 +0530
>
>> In http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_29_whole_line.html
>> Earlier I was using email address: Jaswinder Singh
>> <[email protected]> (Unknown #25) and now I am using:
>> Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> (Unknown #25)
>>
>> If possible can you link above two emails.
>
> This reminds me that I noticed another one that needs linking,
> [email protected] became [email protected]

Thanks Dave.
But I wonder that whether Stephen still be LF people.
If not, I will separate these two addresses to different employers.

2009-01-12 15:54:22

by Jonathan Corbet

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:04:52 +0800
Wang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:

> > No, I haven't, sorry. I need to push out a new update soon. Hm,
> > gitdm-config? Did I release that? If so, where?
> >

> Here
> http://lwn.net/images/gitdm/

I put out a sanitized version of the database the better part of a year
ago. "Sanitized" because we asked a number of developers about their
affiliation with the promise that we would not spread that information
further. I make an updated version; will do, but can't promise it
before LCA.

jon

2009-01-12 17:49:45

by Theodore Ts'o

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:03:50AM +0800, Wang Chen wrote:

> Ted, when you said this, do you mean the page "all_whole.html"?
> If so, my explanation is that this page lists all the people who
> ever worked for TLF since 2.6.13 age.
> Is there any mistake?

I can't remember for certain which one I was looking at; it might have
been 2._6_26_whole_line.html or 2.6.27's whole_line.html:

# No.1 Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]> 42263
# No.2 Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> 1165
# No.3 Theodore Ts'o <[email protected]> 42
# No.4 Chris Wright <[email protected]> 35
# No.5 Christoph Lameter <[email protected]> 14

Of the above technically only Linus Torvalds is an _employee_ of the
Linux Foundation. I'm technically an employee of IBM, but I'm on loan
to the Linux Foundation.

One of the things which get confusing is that people's employers
change over time, so if you are mapping engineers to company, it's not
enough to use just an e-mail address and map it to a company name;
ideally you need to take an e-mail address and/or name and date range,
and then map that to a compay name. For example Alan Cox was
previously at Red Hat, but he will be changing employers to Intel as
of some date in January, 2009, but he will be keeping his e-mail
address.

- Ted

2009-01-12 17:54:09

by Jonathan Corbet

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:49:27 -0500
Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote:

> One of the things which get confusing is that people's employers
> change over time, so if you are mapping engineers to company, it's not
> enough to use just an e-mail address and map it to a company name;
> ideally you need to take an e-mail address and/or name and date range,
> and then map that to a compay name. For example Alan Cox was
> previously at Red Hat, but he will be changing employers to Intel as
> of some date in January, 2009, but he will be keeping his e-mail
> address.

FWIW, the gitdm code handles that just fine. Of course, it does
require keeping the database current, which is always a challenge.

jon

2009-01-13 06:17:53

by Wang Chen

Jonathan Corbet said the following on 2009-1-12 23:54:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:04:52 +0800
> Wang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> No, I haven't, sorry. I need to push out a new update soon. Hm,
>>> gitdm-config? Did I release that? If so, where?
>>>
>> Here
>> http://lwn.net/images/gitdm/
>
> I put out a sanitized version of the database the better part of a year
> ago. "Sanitized" because we asked a number of developers about their
> affiliation with the promise that we would not spread that information
> further. I make an updated version; will do, but can't promise it
> before LCA.

I will update my database with your latest one.
Before that, I can only still use my "unsanitized" data :)

2009-01-13 08:12:33

by Wang Chen

Theodore Tso said the following on 2009-1-13 1:49:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:03:50AM +0800, Wang Chen wrote:
>> Ted, when you said this, do you mean the page "all_whole.html"?
>> If so, my explanation is that this page lists all the people who
>> ever worked for TLF since 2.6.13 age.
>> Is there any mistake?
>
> I can't remember for certain which one I was looking at; it might have
> been 2._6_26_whole_line.html or 2.6.27's whole_line.html:
>
> # No.1 Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]> 42263
> # No.2 Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> 1165
> # No.3 Theodore Ts'o <[email protected]> 42
> # No.4 Chris Wright <[email protected]> 35
> # No.5 Christoph Lameter <[email protected]> 14
>
> Of the above technically only Linus Torvalds is an _employee_ of the
> Linux Foundation. I'm technically an employee of IBM, but I'm on loan
> to the Linux Foundation.

Thanks Ted.
I will update my database.

> One of the things which get confusing is that people's employers
> change over time, so if you are mapping engineers to company, it's not
> enough to use just an e-mail address and map it to a company name;
> ideally you need to take an e-mail address and/or name and date range,
> and then map that to a compay name. For example Alan Cox was
> previously at Red Hat, but he will be changing employers to Intel as
> of some date in January, 2009, but he will be keeping his e-mail
> address.

Yes. This is in my todo list.

2009-01-13 08:14:18

by Wang Chen

Stephen Hemminger said the following on 2009-1-12 23:45:
> My Linux Foundation mail address still works, and I can still have
> access to old software at my account there. But as of Decemeber 2007,
> I work for Vyatta. The marketing department would like the attribution
> in statistics to be Vyatta, it is not a big issue for me.

I see now.
Will fix.
Thanks Stephen.

2009-01-13 16:57:35

by Jaswinder Singh

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Wang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jaswinder Singh Rajput said the following on 2009-1-9 22:09:
>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Wang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> As Jonathon and Greg did, I also made a statistic about who wrote the Linux kernel.
>>> The following data is for 2.6.28 development. (http://www.remword.com/kps_result/)
>>>
>>> 1. The attachment graph "commit.png" shows the change of commit amount of patches and changed lines.
>>> It seems that 2.6.28 has less commits than 2.6.27 of both patch set and changed lines.
>>>
>>> 2. The attachment graph "who.png" shows the involved developers and employers in each version of kernel.
>>> It seems that 2.6.28 has more developers and companies involved than previous two versions, but
>>> less than that of 2.6.25. From a long vision, more and more developers and companies join to the
>>> development of Linux kernel, but the increase speed is not so fast.
>>>

>> In http://remword.com/kps_result/2_6_29_whole_line.html
>> Earlier I was using email address: Jaswinder Singh
>> <[email protected]> (Unknown #25) and now I am using:
>> Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> (Unknown #25)
>>
>> If possible can you link above two emails.
>>

> Sure. Will fix.

Now it is showing 3 names for Jaswinder.

Can you please also fix this:

1. Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> --> Jaswinder
Singh Rajput <[email protected]>
2. Jaswinder Singh <[email protected]> --> Jaswinder Singh
Rajput <[email protected]>

Thanks
--
JSR

2009-01-14 20:25:43

by Jonathan Corbet

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:09:27 -0800
Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:03:50AM +0800, Wang Chen wrote:
> > > If you look at the tool that Jon wrote, and the data files that I
> > > keep up to date, this is already handled there.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >

> > Greg, I've used your gitdm-config-2.6. And don't see any update,
> > where should I find your latest work?
>
> No, I haven't, sorry. I need to push out a new update soon. Hm,
> gitdm-config? Did I release that? If so, where?

OK, for the curious, I've put out an updated version of the gitdm
configuration database:

http://lwn.net/images/gitdm/gitdm-config-2.6.28.tar.bz2

As always, the current version of gitdm can be pulled from:

git://git.lwn.net/gitdm.git

It's *still* an ugly hack, but maybe it's slowly getting better...:)

jon